New defense thoughts

bonham

Dodd-Like
First shutout in 5 years. Some missed tackles but overall very solid. It'll be interesting to see how they do against better competition.

Is it too early to fire the hype thrusters?

Yup, the pass rush wasn't there in the second half but overall it was a good D effort.

If the D keeps our opponents from scoring, I think we have an excellent season.

We had an interesting line-up on one of their 3rd and longs......we put 3 down, and then 5 linebackers with their heels at the first down marker, and then 3 guys about 5 yds behind that. I don't recall seeing that before. We stopped them for like 4th and 9 maybe.

I thought the D looked much better than the O.

Outside of a (very) few plays, the tackling looked much better. More aggressive is how the D scheme should be with the O that we have. Overmatched opponent, but the D didn’t let the game get sloppy.

As posted earlier in the thread, give GT an average D and the team will win a bunch of games.

That's a pretty amazing stat... the second best defensive performance in the entire history of CPJ's tenure here. I realize it was Alcorn St, but man it's hard not to be excited by that. Really, what more could we have asked for from the D? (Well, there was the pick six that went right through our hands.)

Last week was great, but this week we face a team better suited to exploit the soft pass coverage we gave Alcorn State. It will be a good measuring stick for the season.

I like the new D. The blitz by Campbell was perfect (the one that resulted in a huge sack).

However, I was expecting a tad more from the DL.
We showed more movement, more stunts, which has to be good. But we are very light on the DL. We will be vulnerable against the bigger, smash-mouth offensive lines that will move the line of scrimmage 3 or four yards. South Florida, although they aren't All-Americans on the OL, have ten interior linemen 300+.

USF just put a couple linemen in the NFL... don’t remember if they were OL or DL, but that shows you the caliber of player they are recruiting. This USF team has similar a talent level as an ACC opponent.

We had an interesting line-up on one of their 3rd and longs......we put 3 down, and then 5 linebackers with their heels at the first down marker, and then 3 guys about 5 yds behind that. I don't recall seeing that before. We stopped them for like 4th and 9 maybe.
Yes it was the proper type of zone coverage to prevent converting a 3rd and 15

Back