New defense thoughts

USF just put a couple linemen in the NFL... don’t remember if they were OL or DL, but that shows you the caliber of player they are recruiting. This USF team has similar a talent level as an ACC opponent.

Recruited once != are recruiting. USF had a couple of good classes, but they haven't been in the top 50 for recruiting since 2014. Most of their current guys came from classes outside the top 70. They are going to have some athletes, probably, but this isn't really a P5 roster.

I thought the D looked much better than the O.
I am thinking of three pass plays, where our receiver was wide open and the pass wasn't even in the same zip code. I don't know how you fix that, but assuming we could, we would have had 75 more yards passing, maybe one or two more scores, and who knows how that passing success would have boosted our running game. Yes, it was Alcorn, but in our more successful seasons under CPJ, the pass has always bolstered the run. If we can't get the defense back off the line, we are going to have trouble---even with the middle of the road opponents.

Recruited once != are recruiting. USF had a couple of good classes, but they haven't been in the top 50 for recruiting since 2014. Most of their current guys came from classes outside the top 70. They are going to have some athletes, probably, but this isn't really a P5 roster.
They do have transfers, for example Cronkrite is 4-star RB, missed first game tho, and QB Barnett is a 5-star, but couldn't cut it at Bama and ASU, so actual talent level difficult to tell at this point...

I am not sure about their current roster, but in the past they have gathered in rejects from P5 programs and done pretty well. They basically have zero admissions requirements, and in the past have turned a blind eye to some pretty bad actors, ala Dontae Aycock ( a bust, but an example). I think Charlie Strong puts a higher premium on good citizenship than Taggert did. But be assured, they have some athletes, probably as good as the middle tier in the ACC.

I am thinking of three pass plays, where our receiver was wide open and the pass wasn't even in the same zip code. I don't know how you fix that, but assuming we could, we would have had 75 more yards passing, maybe one or two more scores, and who knows how that passing success would have boosted our running game. Yes, it was Alcorn, but in our more successful seasons under CPJ, the pass has always bolstered the run. If we can't get the defense back off the line, we are going to have trouble---even with the middle of the road opponents.

I know of at least 2 of those pass plays you refer to.

I did like how CPJ threw TQ out there in the 3rd with what seemed like 8 passing plays in a row, culminating in the Stewart broken-play score. Would be curious to know if they work on throwing mechanics in practice. Someone needs to stand by TQM and give him some instruction...or is TQM just forgetting everything during gametime?

Regardless, USF will definitely be a stiffer test of our young defense. Hopefully our DL will make USF QB's life hell so that the kids in the secondary can maybe make a couple of picks.

Like everyone, I liked the improvement in open-field tackling. A very noticeable change in coaching right there.

We showed more movement, more stunts, which has to be good. But we are very light on the DL. We will be vulnerable against the bigger, smash-mouth offensive lines that will move the line of scrimmage 3 or four yards. South Florida, although they aren't All-Americans on the OL, have ten interior linemen 300+.
I don't know man....we didn't look light at DT just not athletic as other more successful teams. There were many overhanging bellys on our sideline.

I don't know man....we didn't look light at DT just not athletic as other more successful teams. There were many overhanging bellys on our sideline.
You can have a belly at 285 lb. But you are "light" if you are lining up opposite a 326 lb guard. South Florida won't be as athletic as Clempsen or Miami, but they aren't chopped liver either. They have speed and size at running back, and don't need much to get five or six yards running inside. Our best strategy is to keep our defense on the sidelines if we can. But that is a big "IF".

It looked like at least 2 of those were times where TQ was expecting the receiver to make a cut or break and the receiver ran a different route. Not sure if it was an option route that they just weren't on the same page for or if one of them mixed up a call. I'm more concerned by a few plays where TQ had a receiver open and he threw to someone else (one of his passes that was almost picked he had a wide open AB) or got happy feet and tucked it instead of checking down.

Having said that, once he settled down, he made some much better calls. It might've been some first game of the season jitters combined with an OL that looked a bit dodgy at times.

Overall, the D looked a lot better, but there is definitely more to work on. There were a few things that have me concerned once we go against faster opponents. Seemed like we had some good disruption at times though.

I am not sure about their current roster, but in the past they have gathered in rejects from P5 programs and done pretty well. They basically have zero admissions requirements, and in the past have turned a blind eye to some pretty bad actors, ala Dontae Aycock ( a bust, but an example). I think Charlie Strong puts a higher premium on good citizenship than Taggert did. But be assured, they have some athletes, probably as good as the middle tier in the ACC.

I'm talking about the whole roster. I don't think anybody is disputing that they have some talent on their team. But they have mid tier ACC level depth on a few positions on offense (one of which isn't even QB), and absolutely nowhere on defense. Their starting 11 on both sides might be mid tier ACC level, but not all of those guys are playing 60 fresh minutes in the Tampa heat. Just watch the second half of their game against Elon to see what I mean. We don't have world-beating depth, but their backups were getting straight up beat by Elon. Once we start to rotate and they can't follow us, this game isn't going to be close.

I'm talking about the whole roster. I don't think anybody is disputing that they have some talent on their team. But they have mid tier ACC level depth on a few positions on offense (one of which isn't even QB), and absolutely nowhere on defense. Their starting 11 on both sides might be mid tier ACC level, but not all of those guys are playing 60 fresh minutes in the Tampa heat. Just watch the second half of their game against Elon to see what I mean. We don't have world-beating depth, but their backups were getting straight up beat by Elon. Once we start to rotate and they can't follow us, this game isn't going to be close.
You obviously consider Georgia Tech's roster to be P5 caliber. I think that's where you might have left the track. :lol2:

You can have a belly at 285 lb. But you are "light" if you are lining up opposite a 326 lb guard. South Florida won't be as athletic as Clempsen or Miami, but they aren't chopped liver either. They have speed and size at running back, and don't need much to get five or six yards running inside. Our best strategy is to keep our defense on the sidelines if we can. But that is a big "IF".
I think I understand you but you don't understand me. However the word you are looking for is athletic. Our guys could magically be changed to 6ft7 340 and they would do the same.

Last edited:
I agree this game seems to be hinging on our defense. Will we get a 2014 UNC boat race or can we stop them a few times?

The USF QB can drop deep balls into covered receiver's hands. Got to get pressure without allowing a deep TD, a good lick on the QB, and hold on for a wild ride.

We honestly cannot overlook non-P5 teams. I went to the Humanitarian Bowl when we played Fresno State and was shocked how big their players were compared to ours. They weren't big fat guys either. They were tall, well-built guys. When I saw them prior to the game, I knew that we were in trouble. Sure enough, we got our asses handed to us as they won 40-28.

Branch and Saint-Armour need to have a sack or two this weekend. USF’s qb is pretty damn good from what I saw.

It looked like at least 2 of those were times where TQ was expecting the receiver to make a cut or break and the receiver ran a different route.
I saw the same thing at least twice. From my POV it looked like the receiver's fault (I think Stewart once and Cottrell once). IIUC, the run-n-shoot passing offense involves lots of option routes where QB and receiver read the defense and basically go to the open spot. On one particular play, Cottrell (I think) turned upfield into double coverage instead of sitting down into what looked like a wide open hole that Marshall threw a perfect pass into. Searcy dropped an easy pass and Stewart also slipped on his route just as Marshall released the ball once, which doesn't help things out either.

Basically what I'm saying is that Marshall had a bad game for sure, but his receivers didn't make things any easier for him.

Back