New offers from CGC

JelloYacketDeleted062020

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
3 of the 4 DLs that were drafted earned 2nd NFL contracts, the 4th(Richard) had an MBA and chose to walk away from the game on his own terms, he probably could have done the same if he wanted to

The one thing that the CPJ fanboyz fail to realize is that CPJ walked into a great situation talent wise and after 11 yrs of his lazy recruiting efforts he is leaving the next guy a major rebuild (my opinion)

I don't see how anyone can have so much love for a guy (CPJ) that leaves the Program facing a major rebuild

CPJ had 11 yrs to figure out P5 recruiting at GT and failed all 11 yrs, that's unforgivable, Chan only had 6 and he figured it out except for 1 position, QB, and he finally got that figured out but got fired before he could take advantage of it

Don't understand all the love for a guy that's leaving us with depleted talent on both O & D and facing a major rebuild
I went through all of the players from Chan and Johnson to see who actually recruited them and what they're star ranking was. See attached Google Sheet. If someone transferred in, they are recruited by the coach of the year they transferred into the program. Right now is actually a good time to make a comparison, because Johnson's first 6 classes are not pro-eligible (with a few stragglers, I'm sure) and can be directly compared to Gailey's 6 seasons (2002 - 2007) for NFL players. Gailey had 20 NFL players that he recruited (coached by him or Johnson) and Johnson had 17.

How about the fact that the team was STOCKED when Chan came here. I went back and looked (using the Pro Football Reference website), and O'Leary left Gailey 15 future pros. He went 7-6 every year during his first four years, and 4-4 (16-16) in conference every year. Gailey left Johnson 11 future pros, and Johnson came in and went 9-4 and 10-3 and won the division in both of his first two years; then 6-7 and 8-5. Conference record was (21-11). So, Chan came in with a much more stocked lineup of NFL players and did worse. Maybe the Chanboyz (that's Chan Fanboys, of which you are one) should recognize that.

As for lazy recruiting, PJ's average rank and average recruiting stars were 2.95 in his first 6 years, and 2.94 in the last 4. So, it seems the effort has been quite similar over time. It's interesting that Gailey's 2007 class had 6 four-stars and 15 three stars and was ranked 15th, while Johnson's 2010 class had 4 four-stars and 15 three-stars and was rated 43rd.

Anyway, I wish both Gailey and Johnson were better at recruiting, but I thing they were pretty similar. Johnson was a heck of a better coach.

JelloYacketDeleted062020

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
A few more things:
- We have had 19 four-star players since 2002 that are not still in college. Only 7 played in the NFL.
- 17.5% of CG's recruits made it to the NFL; 15.5% of Johnson's made it (based on first 6 years).
- Each coach had 6 players that were undrafted but made the NFL.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
A few more things:
- We have had 19 four-star players since 2002 that are not still in college. Only 7 played in the NFL.
- 17.5% of CG's recruits made it to the NFL; 15.5% of Johnson's made it (based on first 6 years).
- Each coach had 6 players that were undrafted but made the NFL.
Speaking of NFL talent, I've done it before and the number of drafted players per year between two is nearly identical.

QuadF

Dodd-Like
I went through all of the players from Chan and Johnson to see who actually recruited them and what they're star ranking was. See attached Google Sheet. If someone transferred in, they are recruited by the coach of the year they transferred into the program. Right now is actually a good time to make a comparison, because Johnson's first 6 classes are not pro-eligible (with a few stragglers, I'm sure) and can be directly compared to Gailey's 6 seasons (2002 - 2007) for NFL players. Gailey had 20 NFL players that he recruited (coached by him or Johnson) and Johnson had 17.

How about the fact that the team was STOCKED when Chan came here. I went back and looked (using the Pro Football Reference website), and O'Leary left Gailey 15 future pros. He went 7-6 every year during his first four years, and 4-4 (16-16) in conference every year. Gailey left Johnson 11 future pros, and Johnson came in and went 9-4 and 10-3 and won the division in both of his first two years; then 6-7 and 8-5. Conference record was (21-11). So, Chan came in with a much more stocked lineup of NFL players and did worse. Maybe the Chanboyz (that's Chan Fanboys, of which you are one) should recognize that.

As for lazy recruiting, PJ's average rank and average recruiting stars were 2.95 in his first 6 years, and 2.94 in the last 4. So, it seems the effort has been quite similar over time. It's interesting that Gailey's 2007 class had 6 four-stars and 15 three stars and was ranked 15th, while Johnson's 2010 class had 4 four-stars and 15 three-stars and was rated 43rd.

Anyway, I wish both Gailey and Johnson were better at recruiting, but I thing they were pretty similar. Johnson was a heck of a better coach.

Very well done on the effort you put into this

originalwombat

Damn Good Rat
Very well done on the effort you put into this

Why no comparison of who recruited more All-ACC guys? Who really cares how many go on to the NFL or not? We've had a lot of guys that were GREAT college players that never got drafted.

olgoldandwhite

Dodd-Like
Hindsight is 20/20. Those guys were on the 2007 team as well, and that team went 7-6, including losses to Maryland and UVA and a blowout against Fresno State on blue turf. NOBODY was talking about how stocked we were with talent going into 2008. In fact. we were projected to go 3-9 and be the worst team in the ACC. CPJ "fanboyz" have love for the guy because he took that team that was supposed to be total öööö and won 20 games in 2 years. Then when people started whining about how he could never do it with his own players, he went and won 11 games again a few years later. This is a board for GT fans, and you are blowing up the board ööööposting about the coach that many of us consider to be the best GT coach in 50ish years. Should you really be surprised that most of us want you to öööö off? Moreover, what the hell is the point? He's retiring and we got a new coach with a lot of reasons to be excited. Just shut the öööö up with the divisive comments, please.
Great post! Thanks! Reminds me of when O’leary left. It went from hate to legend in a few years.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
come on, people. He ööööed up typing horribly...I made a little joke. I know what Paul said about good teams not losing two in a row. Paul had a few bad teams it seems.
You think this is some ööööing joke? This isn't a ööööing joke. You need to get cereal wit tha quickness

LeonardWood

Dodd-Like

POTY

JelloYacketDeleted062020

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Why no comparison of who recruited more All-ACC guys? Who really cares how many go on to the NFL or not? We've had a lot of guys that were GREAT college players that never got drafted.
I agree with you - there are guys that are my favorite players that didn't get drafted. I was only trying to address the "left the cupboard bare" comments from the OP who tried to use NFL talent as a measure of recruiting capability. Or, for anyone on these boards trying to say that Chan was some awesome recruiter and Johnson sucked. They were both mediocre, ultimately.