New uniforms incoming

Speaking of which... where are we hiding all that cash that we were supposed to bring in by having artificial turf and being able to host more events in BDS?

I assume that Covid put a damper on hosting events, but has there literally been one event that we’ve done with the turf that we couldn’t do with grass?

Have we done any more of those “movies on the field” things since we got the turf? I know they let fans on the field during an open practice / fan day thing before last season but can’t really think of anything else…

JRjr

I assume that Covid put a damper on hosting events, but has there literally been one event that we’ve done with the turf that we couldn’t do with grass?

Have we done any more of those “movies on the field” things since we got the turf? I know they let fans on the field during an open practice / fan day thing before last season but can’t really think of anything else…

JRjr

It’s about replacing the sod every time an event occurs.

It’s about replacing the sod every time an event occurs.

I understand the rationale for installing turf to facilitate hosting more/larger events. The point is that we haven’t been doing that, as far as I can tell. Obviously Covid is a factor. It seems like most of the stuff we have done didn’t make us any money and could have been done in the grass as it was in the past.

So far it looks like we hosted some “socially distanced,” student-only movies in 2020 (your other link was from 2018, before we replaced the grass), some fan day stuff, and maybe some graduation ceremonies?

So far, the turf replacement isn’t looking like a great trade-off, but we’ll see if things turn around in the future…

JRjr

I understand the rationale for installing turf to facilitate hosting more/larger events. The point is that we haven’t been doing that, as far as I can tell. Obviously Covid is a factor. It seems like most of the stuff we have done didn’t make us any money and could have been done in the grass as it was in the past.

So far it looks like we hosted some “socially distanced,” student-only movies in 2020 (your other link was from 2018, before we replaced the grass), some fan day stuff, and maybe some graduation ceremonies?

So far, the turf replacement isn’t looking like a great trade-off, but we’ll see if things turn around in the future…

JRjr

The trade off is convenience & reducing man power. Now google “GT practice” or “GT camp” and see how many hours been logged on the field without having to walk a half-mile just to the practice fields.

The trade off is convenience & reducing man power. Now google “GT practice” or “GT camp” and see how many hours been logged on the field without having to walk a half-mile just to the practice fields.

A little extra cardio never hurt anybody. :-)

I wonder how much (ground crew) manpower we really reduced - we still have a variety of natural surfaces that have to be maintained, and somebody still has to paint and clean the turf field, too.

So you’re saying that the big, fancy indoor/outdoor practice facility that we built is insufficient and one of the reasons we installed the turf was so that we could practice in the stadium? If that’s the case, the GTAA is even worse at this stuff than I thought…

JRjr

I think one thing that the turf has brought is the ability to host all of those 7 on 7 tournaments and camps for high schools all over the SE. That could theoretically boost recruiting (if we start actually winning)

I don't mind the turf and agree it can be a good thing. My comment earlier was kind of tongue in cheek. I do feel like we got sold a polished turd though with the one we bought (billed as newest, best, state of the art, etc.) because the turf doesn't seem to look as good as many others I've seen, and I've seen a lot of slips on it. Or maybe we are just being too cheap to paint it weekly during the season. The green seems dull to me too.

I don't mind the turf and agree it can be a good thing. My comment earlier was kind of tongue in cheek. I do feel like we got sold a polished turd though with the one we bought (billed as newest, best, state of the art, etc.) because the turf doesn't seem to look as good as many others I've seen, and I've seen a lot of slips on it. Or maybe we are just being too cheap to paint it weekly during the season. The green seems dull to me too.

Yeah, if it actually looked decent (the “grass” itself, not the paint job) and played well (there do seem to be a lot of slips), it would merely be offensive to my purist sensibilities. But the color and texture look awful in the stadium, and we don’t seem to have figured out how to play on it, so it bugs me even more.

JRjr

A little extra cardio never hurt anybody. :-)

I wonder how much (ground crew) manpower we really reduced - we still have a variety of natural surfaces that have to be maintained, and somebody still has to paint and clean the turf field, too.

So you’re saying that the big, fancy indoor/outdoor practice facility that we built is insufficient and one of the reasons we installed the turf was so that we could practice in the stadium? If that’s the case, the GTAA is even worse at this stuff than I thought…

JRjr

We built the indoor bc it was inefficient and expensive to haul 100+’people to Flowery Branch or the GA Dome for a 1.5hr practice at the first sign of inclement weather. At the time, i was told renting the GA dome/FB on short notice & getting 3 charter buses that had to be fueled cost around $20k/trip

Last edited:

To save time from watching the video over and over...

1658160831629.png

1658160893837.png

1658160862217.png

Back