Next Season

I think you and most are focusing on TM's poor passing record as a personal failure; in many cases it was a pass blocking failure, not a pass throwing failure. Yeah TM isn't a great passer, but with protection he's serviceable. I'll bet TO will be similar. It's completely unrealistic not to mention blocking in a rant about a poor passing game.

Absolutely true and fair criticism of my rant.

I think you and most are focusing on TM's poor passing record as a personal failure; in many cases it was a pass blocking failure, not a pass throwing failure. Yeah TM isn't a great passer, but with protection he's serviceable. I'll bet TO will be similar. It's completely unrealistic not to mention blocking in a rant about a poor passing game.
I mostly focused on TM's poor character record. I think the team under TO would be, and has been, miles better.

But yes we need a legitimate passing threat or else we're going to see the same record or worse.

Tariq Carpenter and Juanyeh Thomas.

We really need to be able to generate some form of pressure on the quarterbacks. No matter who we have in the secondary with all the time we give QBs they could carve up Bamas secondary. (Okay maybe not Bamas)

QB should at a minimum be improved. Line will all be back, but I think that happened in 2015 (except Mason) and they were öööö that year. Secondary and linebackers should improve, d line may be about the same or slightly worse. Bback should be better, A backs probably worse, wr probably about the same or slightly worse. Hopefully some guys step up and we don't have too much offseason attrition from key players like we have the last two seasons with Mills, Marshall, Gray, etc.

Retain Nate Woody.

Why do people keep saying this? The defense was atrocious this year, worse than the Roof years on a lot of metrics. For example, I like to look at Defensive Points per drive:

2018 - 2.56 (#95) - This is before the UGA game, so expect this to get significantly worse once that is factored in.
2017 - 2.20 (#70)
2016 - 2.30 (#71)
2015 - 2.32 (#80)
2014 - 2.45 (#93)

Source: http://www.bcftoys.com/2018-ppd/

We were probably the worst defense in the ACC this year who wasn't Louisville.

Why do people keep saying this? The defense was atrocious this year, worse than the Roof years on a lot of metrics. We were probably the worst defense in the ACC this year who wasn't Louisville.

My sense (eye test and memory, not looking at stats) was that we were terrible on 3rd downs (egregiously so on long ones) and didn't get much pressure on the QB. The things that kept us from being worse were the offense limiting opposing possessions (one of the differences in the U[sic]GA game - we barely held the ball for the first 2 or 3 quarters) and getting turnovers at a much higher rate than last year.

JRjr

Last edited:
Why do people keep saying this? The defense was atrocious this year, worse than the Roof years on a lot of metrics. For example, I like to look at Defensive Points per drive:

2018 - 2.56 (#95) - This is before the UGA game, so expect this to get significantly worse once that is factored in.
2017 - 2.20 (#70)
2016 - 2.30 (#71)
2015 - 2.32 (#80)
2014 - 2.45 (#93)

Source: http://www.bcftoys.com/2018-ppd/

We were probably the worst defense in the ACC this year who wasn't Louisville.
Because he hasn't even been here a year? Nobody, not even Nick Saban can turn öööö into gold that fast. I swear, some of you are so dim its a wonder you haven't walked into traffic and been killed yet.

I'm not the overly optimistic type. I think next season is shaping up to be a better year. Our only significant loss on offense is Brad Stewart. No loss at quarterback. We have 3 capable quarterbacks to choose from. All BB's and the entire offensive line will return. We're fine at A back with Cottrel and Jarrett. Offensively you essentially return the entire group that played this season except they have more experience and a better quarterback.

Defense under coach Woody in the second season should improve. Adams at nose guard will be a monster. Glanton and Owens will replace our losses on the ends. Curry at linebacker will anchor that group along with Quez Jackson and Swilling. Our secondary got better as the year went along and look like a bright spot next year.

Ironically we look set on special teams. Who would have thought that?

What are y'all's thoughts?

I like the cut of this.

First off, I'm excited if James Graham (or Lucas) turns out to be the man at QB. We need a true dual threat in the worst way. Having Tobias is a nice security blanket - he's the second coming of Tim Byerly, no?? But as someone else points out, I think there is a real ceiling on what we can do with a no-throwing QB attack. Like 7-5/8-4.

The other thing we need is a legit deep WR threat. Love Brad but he didn't scare anyone. I hope and pray that Malachi Carter will be that guy, with Camp playing a possession oriented role. Our backs and line are good enough, IMO.

Finally, I'm worried about our inside linebackers. I guess they couldn't possibly get worse. BJS needs to come through on the promise of his physical talent. And someone needs to really challenge Curry, and hopefully surpass him. I feel like we can get along up front and in the secondary.

This year showed some promise and I'm expecting better from 2019.

Because he hasn't even been here a year? Nobody, not even Nick Saban can turn öööö into gold that fast. I swear, some of you are so dim its a wonder you haven't walked into traffic and been killed yet.

It’s just a game bro

For those curious about the defense:

2018: Points per Game: 73rd out of 130 (28.9 ppg) 2017: 64th (26.5 ppg)
2018: Completion %: 123rd (65.1%) 2017: 77th (58.9%)
2018: Passing yrds/game: 54th (217.9) 2017: 35th (200.6)
2018: Rushing yards/game: 48th (149.9) 2017: 49th (153.6)
2018: Total yards/game 46th (367.8) 2017: 33rd (354.3)
2018: Turnovers/game: 18th (2.0) 2017:118th (0.9)
2018: Yards/play: 80th (5.9) 2017: 54th (5.5)

So we were roughly the same against the run, worse in everything else except turnovers, where we got an extra turnover per game, basically. This is probably the difference between a 5-7 or 7-5 year.

Not saying we should switch DC's yet again. Woody has to figure out how to make it work and we need to get some talent.

Let's go on back then:

2013 - 2.26 (#79) - Roof's first year.
2012 - 2.55 (#84) - Groh Year 3 (Kelly took over after 6 games)
2011 - 2.34 (#81) - Groh Year 2
2010 - 2.17 (#66) - Groh Year 1
2009 - 2.42 (#88) - Wommack Year 2
2008 - 1.92 (#52) - Wommack Year 1
2007 - 1.68 (#28) - Tenuta's Last Year

So even before the UGA game is factored in, this is the worst defense of CPJ's tenure both in absolute terms as well as rank. You'll notice also that the first year of each DC's tenure was one of their best. I'm not saying Woody can't be good, but let's not act like he's setting the world on fire based on the actual results. Were you watching the same defense as I was all year?

Let's go on back then:

2013 - 2.26 (#79) - Roof's first year.
2012 - 2.55 (#84) - Groh Year 3 (Kelly took over after 6 games)
2011 - 2.34 (#81) - Groh Year 2
2010 - 2.17 (#66) - Groh Year 1
2009 - 2.42 (#88) - Wommack Year 2
2008 - 1.92 (#52) - Wommack Year 1
2007 - 1.68 (#28) - Tenuta's Last Year

So even before the UGA game is factored in, this is the worst defense of CPJ's tenure both in absolute terms as well as rank. You'll notice also that the first year of each DC's tenure was one of their best. I'm not saying Woody can't be good, but let's not act like he's setting the world on fire based on the actual results. Were you watching the same defense as I was all year?
Nobody is acting like he set the world on fire. But our defense did very well at getting turnovers which was a massive improvement over most every other year of defense under Paul except 2014, despite the lack of experience in the secondary or playmakers anywhere on defense. Don't forget Woody's first year and a half at app st was pretty bad, then they went up hill. There are certainly some changes I think Woody should make, like never running that stupid 3 man rush/ prevent D he seems to like on 3rd downs ever again. Recruiting on the defensive side of the ball also seems to be lacking right now. But to dismiss him after a season because he was given a basically all freshmen secondary and a group not suited to his style of defense is ridiculous.

I know this is just armchair coaching and I'm just some guy who knows next to nothing about Xs and Os, but how much worse could it really be if we played more man coverage and took our chances rather than playing soft zone coverage and getting picked apart? Are we really that bad in the secondary that we can't win a few of those matchups? (Or are we really that bad up front that we'd be dooming the secondary because even with a blitz we can never pressure the QB into making throws that aren't perfect?)

JRjr

I’m not so unreasonable that I’m ready to call for Woody’s head after year one but geez that was a poor job of scheming in year one. Our coin toss decision to defer to receive the second half kick is a good one, but how many times this year did the opposing team take the opening KO and drive it right down our throats for an easy score? My recollection is every time but I might be mistaken. This causes us to have to get in a track meet from the opening bell. Woody probably doesn’t have the horses but you know what? That is why we hired him. We need him to overcome our recruiting deficiencies with superior coaching. That means exotic blitz packages and aggressive play from the secondary. And oh yeah how to tackle would be priority one!

I’m not so unreasonable that I’m ready to call for Woody’s head after year one but geez that was a poor job of scheming in year one. Our coin toss decision to defer to receive the second half kick is a good one, but how many times this year did the opposing team take the opening KO and drive it right down our throats for an easy score? My recollection is every time but I might be mistaken. This causes us to have to get in a track meet from the opening bell. Woody probably doesn’t have the horses but you know what? That is why we hired him. We need him to overcome our recruiting deficiencies with superior coaching. That means exotic blitz packages and aggressive play from the secondary. And oh yeah how to tackle would be priority one!

Unmotivated to break it down in detail, but a quick review indicates that the other team scored first in 8 of 12 games this year.

JRjr

Every year a few people are worried about a few good ABs we’re losing. And every year we replace them. Well, except 2015 when we lost our top 7/8 guys.

What have we seen to make us think the defense will be better?

guitar-better3.gif

CNW will be sacked if our O is a crap show again.

O problems can not possibly be the fault of sewak or CPJ.

As we post here, CPJ has HillNerds trying to figure out how we can pass for less than Zero times a game.

Back