Next Season

I don't have an opinion on this matter . I understand GT football is what it is. There is nothing I or any of you can do to fix what is broken.

For those curious about the defense:

2018: Points per Game: 73rd out of 130 (28.9 ppg) 2017: 64th (26.5 ppg)
2018: Completion %: 123rd (65.1%) 2017: 77th (58.9%)
2018: Passing yrds/game: 54th (217.9) 2017: 35th (200.6)
2018: Rushing yards/game: 48th (149.9) 2017: 49th (153.6)
2018: Total yards/game 46th (367.8) 2017: 33rd (354.3)
2018: Turnovers/game: 18th (2.0) 2017:118th (0.9)
2018: Yards/play: 80th (5.9) 2017: 54th (5.5)

So we were roughly the same against the run, worse in everything else except turnovers, where we got an extra turnover per game, basically. This is probably the difference between a 5-7 or 7-5 year.

Not saying we should switch DC's yet again. Woody has to figure out how to make it work and we need to get some talent.

This years defense is actually more comparable to 2016, which was worse than 2017 except for pts per game (cause the offense was better?) and turnovers.

Also mustn't forget:
3rd Down Conv %
2016: 126/128 (49.21%)
2017: 12/130(!) (30.94%)
2018: 126/130 (49.26%)
Actually got better from the UGA game, cause garbo time.

Nobody is acting like he set the world on fire. But our defense did very well at getting turnovers which was a massive improvement over most every other year of defense under Paul except 2014, despite the lack of experience in the secondary or playmakers anywhere on defense. Don't forget Woody's first year and a half at app st was pretty bad, then they went up hill. There are certainly some changes I think Woody should make, like never running that stupid 3 man rush/ prevent D he seems to like on 3rd downs ever again. Recruiting on the defensive side of the ball also seems to be lacking right now. But to dismiss him after a season because he was given a basically all freshmen secondary and a group not suited to his style of defense is ridiculous.

Again the numbers don't really bear out the turnover thing (in addition, they would be embedded in the PPD data I posted. Fumble recoveries are statistically random, so the only real difference is INTs. So let's track that:

2018: 12
2017: 6
2016: 11
2015: 9
2014: 18
2013: 14
2012: 16
2011: 14
2010: 8
2009: 12
2008: 18

So 12 is just below average for a GT defense in the CPJ tenure. Other than some "eye test" BS, I'm just not seeing the facts that bear out any improvement over previous defenses.

Again the numbers don't really bear out the turnover thing (in addition, they would be embedded in the PPD data I posted. Fumble recoveries are statistically random, so the only real difference is INTs. So let's track that:

So 12 is just below average for a GT defense in the CPJ tenure. Other than some "eye test" BS, I'm just not seeing the facts that bear out any improvement over previous defenses.

Because you don’t want to. We pressured more throws this season than I can remember in recent history despite not having the sack numbers. I watched the games and it was apparent. Time will tell if we can reload at DL.

And wouldn’t you expect some improvement as we add in more packages in year 2?

Unrelated, but I predict that Malachi Carter is our leading receiver next year with 700+ yards.

Numbers don’t lie but they don’t tell the full truth. The defense is schematically better and for the 30th time this not your typical 3-4 defense where you need 280-290lb DEs. It is predicated on quickness and getting up field. Something totally different from CTRs read &react man on a man and Groh occupy a man and build a wall on the LOS. The biggest issue this season & the reason for the skewed numbers is finishing. Whether that’s getting the QB on the ground before he gets a 1st down or horrible play recognition. Contrary to popular belief we got a good amount pressure this year, but bad tackling always seemed to follow it.

The defense should be stout next season and i expect to see some packages such as 2-4-5 with Thomas and Dominick as pass rushers. Key is to replace ASA’s disruption whether we go with the tweener like Dingle or put a big body like Chimezda/Glanton there. Someone must step up

But the talent is oozing on the side of the ball

If i had my way it would be:
NT: Adams
DE: Owens
DE: Glanton or Dingle
Jack: Charlie Thomas
MLB: BJS
WLB: Curry (hope someone overtake him)
Stinger: KOliver
CB: Swilling
CB: Walton
SS: Carpenter
FS: Juanyah

Numbers don’t lie but they don’t tell the full truth. The defense is schematically better and for the 30th time this not your typical 3-4 defense where you need 280-290lb DEs. It is predicated on quickness and getting up field. Something totally different from CTRs read &react man on a man and Groh occupy a man and build a wall on the LOS. The biggest issue this season & the reason for the skewed numbers is finishing. Whether that’s getting the QB on the ground before he gets a 1st down or horrible play recognition. Contrary to popular belief we got a good amount pressure this year, but bad tackling always seemed to follow it.

The defense should be stout next season and i expect to see some packages such as 2-4-5 with Thomas and Dominick as pass rushers. Key is to replace ASA’s disruption whether we go with the tweener like Dingle or put a big body like Chimezda/Glanton there. Someone must step up

But the talent is oozing on the side of the ball

If i had my way it would be:
NT: Adams
DE: Owens
DE: Glanton or Dingle
Jack: Charlie Thomas
MLB: BJS
WLB: Curry (hope someone overtake him)
Stinger: KOliver
CB: Swilling
CB: Walton
SS: Carpenter
FS: Juanyah

Here's one thing I've been baffled on and maybe you, as someone who follows the defensive side very closely, could have some answer. Do you have any guess as to why we've been so consistently bad on 3rd down defense across the years? I've tried to come up with theories but I haven't thought of anything that seemed sensible.

Here's one thing I've been baffled on and maybe you, as someone who follows the defensive side very closely, could have some answer. Do you have any guess as to why we've been so consistently bad on 3rd down defense across the years? I've tried to come up with theories but I haven't thought of anything that seemed sensible.

Obvious answer is lack of pass rusher. Some one you trust to disrupt with only 4 rushing. Also situational awareness, whether that’s a LB/CB jumping a flat route 3&10 leaving passing space or getting too far beyond the 1st down market that they cannot drive on the and make a play

Biggest losses on defense:
ASA
Malik Rivera
KCH

Biggest returning on def:
Adams
Curry
Thomas

Biggest losses on off:
Lynch
Searcy
Stewart

Biggest returners on off:
Parker Braun
Kenny cooper
Benson

Biggest loss st:
Stewart

Biggest returners on off:
Jaunyeh
Harvin
Wells
Biggest (literally) and most important returners on off. Are the linemen.

This X100. CPJ never has a problem finding smallish fast RBs to plug-in the backfield. OL though...not so much.
The guys he gets in the backfield are mostly small-college-recruit types so it's easy to snag them. Big, quality OL guys though - harder to recruit 'em to GT to play in that offense and blocking scheme.

Where does JG stand in terms of his red shirt? I feel like today was game 4 since Paul decided to send JG in for a single play against someone earlier this year after TO’s helmet came off and TM was injured instead of calling a time out and preserving JG’s shirt. Anyways.
He has only played in 3 games. UL, VT, UGA

Hopefully that as well as a little more strength. Slight improvement in pass pro paired with a more accurate passer would show light years of improvement in the offense.
I just want to see more guys putting a hat on defenders at the second level and clearing out an opening for the BB. The games where they were getting a 3-5 yard push on every play are great, but we still aren't busting the game changing plays just because of that.

I’m a sidewalk fan and I love tech and tech football. But some of the talking heads were right at the beginning of the year when they said there was no sizzle. I just am really discouraged about the future of tech football going forward. I give my dollars for season tickets just like the alumni so I have almost the same right to complain. I just feel like we are in a hole that’s impossoble to get out of.

I feel the mark for Tech is to put a program together that competes at the Same level as Stanford or Oklahoma state. We won’t be Clemson or Georgia but we can at least be ranked every other year and competitive.

Does it matter to be ranked? It’s just a number brah.
Yes, yes it does. The fact that they put that little number next to your school name on TV is a status symbol that Kids and recruits see.

Yea. Braun is probably the most important, but i think having cooper back is huge as it means Lee can stay at tackle and doesn't have to wear so many hats.

Y’all, I just don’t want to think about it right now. Might pull a frosty the snowman and just see y’all next season.

... I give my dollars for season tickets just like the alumni so I have almost the same right to complain.

you have the same right IMO. being an alumnus doesn't make my opinion nor donated dollar any more important than yours. plus, what we do on any athletic stage doesn't affect the diploma either.

Back