Official 2013 Recruiting Thread.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
"People like Wisconsin are in here constantly. They’re a tailback-oriented team. They think he would do a great job dotting their I-formation."

Dude, try actually reading the article. He clearly didn't say he thought he would look great dotting their I or that they are a "great" tailback school.

I see absolutely zero in that article that makes me think he's trying to sway Custis in one way or the other. There is no mention of himself except to say that he coached Choice and Custis and thinks Custis is better.
Sometimes when I read quickly I miss actual words. Thanks for the correction. I'm just a typical paranoid world-out-get-us GT fan. I still wouldn't mind seeing him mention why the coaches think he'd fit well at GT.

Nashville Jacket

Dodd-Like
I don't think many people were excited about the classes of 2008-2010. 2011 was the first class where it seemed like we got some REALLY good players. Most of those guys are RS FR this year. Lee, JHD, Golden, Greene, Waller, Laskey off the top of my head, probably missing a few. These guys are in year 2 of a system and doing okay. You don't see any diamonds in there? From last year Autry, Gotsis, and Henry are already playing, and I'm pretty sure Kallon and Thomas will be serviceable.

I think our recruiting in CPJ's first few years is why we suck right now, not the recent recruiting. There is a reason these FR and RSFR are beating out SRs to play. It's clear that we need to start relationships with these kids early on in highschool so we were at a disadvantage in the first few years. When did Gailey get good at recruiting? After he had been here for a while.

I can deal with bad seasons as long as there is hope and I have enough 750ml bottles of medicine to take care of me. We're never going to get top recruits no matter who is coach and I think we can all agree that CPJ would win a MNC with recruiting classes half as good as Bama always gets. We have to do more with less and I think CPJ is the guy to do that, I just hope we don't run him off before he has a chance to have an experienced Vad Lee led team.
I define a diamond in the rough as a guy who comes in without much fan fare and isn't rated highly, but becomes an all ACC player and ends up being possible NFL material. Perhaps my standards are too high. Sean Bedford comes to mind as fitting my definition, but I don't think he was recruited by CPJ.

GTJason

Flats Noob
I define a diamond in the rough as a guy who comes in without much fan fare and isn't rated highly, but becomes an all ACC player and ends up being possible NFL material. Perhaps my standards are too high. Sean Bedford comes to mind as fitting my definition, but I don't think he was recruited by CPJ.
Then our definitions are the same. I believe Bedford took some time to develop. The guys I mentioned are going to be the make or break players on the team in the next few years. These guys need time to develop as they are rough now, but full of potential.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
Sean Bedford was a walkon.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
Yeah I know but even walk-ons are recruited somewhat.
I think it goes a little below the scope of the diamonds in the rough conversation though because when we talk about recruiting we're talking generally about recruiting with scholarships. By that measure, Sean was like getting into your car one day and looking in the passenger seat and holy öööö a diamond.

AE 87

Dodd-Like
Stephen Hill?

Nashville Jacket

Dodd-Like
Stephen Hill?
Hill was rated as a 4 star player, so he was expected to be good. If he weren't he would have been considered a bust. When an unheralded guy arrives he's not expected to do much, so when they don't it's not a big deal usually.

AE 87

Dodd-Like
Hill was rated as a 4 star player, so he was expected to be good. If he weren't he would have been considered a bust. When an unheralded guy arrives he's not expected to do much, so when they don't it's not a big deal usually.
He was only a 3* on Rivals and wasn't highly recruited, iirc.

Anyway, Donovan Wilson is taking his OV this weekend. We had 4 defenders take their OVs last weekend.

It looks like the big weekend for ov's by our current commits is January 11. Donovan will already be enrolled, I think. I really think this is going to be a good class.

forensicbuzz

Varsity Lurker
You don't rc.

Hill was being pursued by a number of good schools, including UGA, up until signing day.
But he does recall correctly. Hill was a 3* with at least Rivals and I think Scout too. It wasn't until UGA got interested at the end that one of the services gave him a fourth star. UGA made a push the last couple of weeks and I'm not sure ever officially offered. If I remember correctly, they wanted to extend an offer during an on-campus visit, which he finally decided not to take.

I could be remembering wrongly, but I don't think so.

mts315

Dodd-Like
But he does recall correctly. Hill was a 3* with at least Rivals and I think Scout too. It wasn't until UGA got interested at the end that one of the services gave him a fourth star. UGA made a push the last couple of weeks and I'm not sure ever officially offered. If I remember correctly, they wanted to extend an offer during an on-campus visit, which he finally decided not to take.

I could be remembering wrongly, but I don't think so.
Hill was a 4 star all along on Scout. Even when he was committed to Central Florida he was a 4.

olgoldandwhite

Dodd-Like
A personal opinion: After watching tons of HS football over the years and watching the playoffs on GPTV, it begs the question. How can you tell one player is better than the next? Sure, you see a Calvin Johnson type player and you say he is legit. But what about the rest? Different classes, different states, different talent, different everything. A 300# lineman is a 300# lineman. How good will he be against someone as good or better?

BuzzCzar

Defender of the Universe
A personal opinion: After watching tons of HS football over the years and watching the playoffs on GPTV, it begs the question. How can you tell one player is better than the next? Sure, you see a Calvin Johnson type player and you say he is legit. But what about the rest? Different classes, different states, different talent, different everything. A 300# lineman is a 300# lineman. How good will he be against someone as good or better?
you are not begging the question, you are asking it. why does everyone try to use phrases and words that they dont know what they mean. it if begged the question, you would be saying that there is NO NEED TO ASK IT

do any of you guys read ever?

regarding the content of your post, coaches look for specific technique abilities and raw physical measures. how quick are the first two steps, is the player in balance or is he leaning, how well does he move his feet under him, does he have an "instinct" for the ball, does he have upper body strength to move people around, etc

GoTech19

Dodd-Like
you are not begging the question, you are asking it. why does everyone try to use phrases and words that they dont know what they mean. it if begged the question, you would be saying that there is NO NEED TO ASK IT

do any of you guys read ever?

regarding the content of your post, coaches look for specific technique abilities and raw physical measures. how quick are the first two steps, is the player in balance or is he leaning, how well does he move his feet under him, does he have an "instinct" for the ball, does he have upper body strength to move people around, etc
Does it really matter whether one reads or not? Or whether one is better in grammar than others? Not no, but HELL NO!. Not everyone has the time to read each and every line on ST, nor do some of us have the time to post to each and every ST thread. There are a lot more things in life to partake in.
You knew what the guy was asking. Why be a dick before you answer his question? Gees.. Lighten up on people.
Now go ahead and blast me.. It's gonna happen and we all know.

BuzzCzar

Defender of the Universe
Does it really matter whether one reads or not?
yes it does.

reading increases your vocabulary and increases your ability to correctly spell and use words in a meaningful way

this is the basis of communication. we have to be able to understand what the other person means and thus we must agree on what things mean

you apparently dont even know what grammar is, which is limited to how sentences and phrases are constructed using punctuation and syntax. i just dont understand the overall level of dumb on a Tech board

its kind of simple - when you know what something means then use it and if you dont then maybe dont use it. he didnt need to use that overused phrase in the first place, why do it? and then why do it at the WRONG time?

its just silly

GoTech19

Dodd-Like
Maybe some people don't really care whether they use correct grammar or spell words correctly. It doesn't matter. I'm sure you're a smart enough man to figure out what context or syntax they are using. Reading does help the vocabulary like you said but again, not everyone gives a crap about that as much as you. Nor does everyone sit behind a computer with spelling and grammar check, minute by minute of every day.

In the grand scheme, there's a lot of other things to worry about in this world and focus on, than someone's grammar and vocabulary. Since you wanna teach people about grammar and vocabulary, go volunteer and a homeless shelter or an orphanage and teach these people all about grammar and vocabulary. They might appreciate it more.

It just doesn't matter.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
BuzzCzar values his intellectual superiority over everyone on this board incredibly highly. I would not try to argue with him about it.

He's right about begging the question though, it's misused often enough that we shouldn't exacerbate its meaning becoming completely twisted. It is now typically acceptable to use it in the fashion used above.

Another example of the dumbing down of our language is that apparently the word "whom" is expected to disappear from the English vernacular in a few decades. Linguists think current generations find the proper use too confusing. I also take particular delight in watching characters of reality television shows misuse nominative pronouns in attempts to sound intelligent.

BuzzCzar

Defender of the Universe
It just doesn't matter.
it has nothing to do with intellectual superiority. it has to do with the statement above

"it just doesnt matter" has become the phrase of our society and it is sad, imo. it DOES matter when you do things right versus not doing them right

i guess that is just an outdated concept

carry on