Official argue about the old coach thread

We won 9 games as recently as 2016 with Paul Johnson’s roster. His last year was 2018 and we still went 7-6.
And 3 the year prior. The 2018 uga game was all I needed to see to know that it was done. I’ve never seen us so overmatched at all positions. And it wasn’t a situation where the team gave up (that was the bowl game later), they just could not match up anywhere.

No argument here that Johnson was a better field coach. The problem for him is that there is much more to being head coach than calling plays. His recruiting and roster management were atrocious. Already behind the 8 ball due to scheme and made worse by a lack of focus. I have no doubt Johnson could take another team’s roster and win 8 games. His problem was that his own rosters were catching up to him.
Johnson would have a much worse winning % than Chan by now, had Johnson stayed. His fanbois would be happy to watch it happen and watch the further erosion of GT to Vanderbilt or a service academy level because of those times he beat UGAg

We were not going to approach beating UGAg again heading in the direction we were. They were dominating our option offense. We were blessed to get JT5 when we did, but our talent had taken a severe nosedive as Johnson basically ghosted Georgia high schools and allowed Clemson, UGAg, Auburn, and Alabama to not be challenged on the recruiting trail. We are changing that now.

And 3 the year prior. The 2018 uga game was all I needed to see to know that it was done. I’ve never seen us so overmatched at all positions. And it wasn’t a situation where the team gave up (that was the bowl game later), they just could not match up anywhere.
We were literally getting thrown around like rag dolls. Blocking? GTFO. UGAg defenders on the edge were tossing our AB's and WR's aside and just waiting. We looked like a HS team trying to take on a P5.

The only comfort I had during the game was not having the stress of knowing we could win it. That game was over as soon as you witnessed UGAg's DL ignoring our flopping fish OL.

No argument here that Johnson was a better field coach. The problem for him is that there is much more to being head coach than calling plays. His recruiting and roster management were atrocious. Already behind the 8 ball due to scheme and made worse by a lack of focus. I have no doubt Johnson could take another team’s roster and win 8 games. His problem was that his own rosters were catching up to him.
Agree.

Johnson would have a much worse winning % than Chan by now, had Johnson stayed. His fanbois would be happy to watch it happen and watch the further erosion of GT to Vanderbilt or a service academy level because of those times he beat UGAg

We were not going to approach beating UGAg again heading in the direction we were. They were dominating our option offense. We were blessed to get JT5 when we did, but our talent had taken a severe nosedive as Johnson basically ghosted Georgia high schools and allowed Clemson, UGAg, Auburn, and Alabama to not be challenged on the recruiting trail. We are changing that now.
The uga resurgence is from Tennessee, Florida, and to a lesser extent us being in turmoil recruiting wise. Thank God for Alabama and Clemson stepping in to mitigate it or we would have had multiple mutt NCs by now.

The uga resurgence is from Tennessee, Florida, and to a lesser extent us being in turmoil recruiting wise. Thank God for Alabama and Clemson stepping in to mitigate it or we would have had multiple mutt NCs by now.
We likely stopped them from getting a Natty by, thankfully, having a staff that was able to recruit Calvin Johnson. I wish we would have had a staff that could have recruited Trevor Lawrence, but that is an alternative timeline

We won 9 games as recently as 2016 with Paul Johnson’s roster. His last year was 2018 and we still went 7-6.

Nobody knows for sure what would have happened in subsequent years but that 7-6 was a MacGyver job. After clownish losses to USF and Pitt, we looked like maybe a 4 win team. Just don't think you could count on scheming your way to 7 wins indefinitely the way things were going. Johnson used every trick he had left just to be a middling coastal team. Given the roster, that was probably one of his better coaching jobs.

Nobody knows for sure what would have happened in subsequent years but that 7-6 was a MacGyver job. After clownish losses to USF and Pitt, we looked like maybe a 4 win team. Just don't think you could count on scheming your way to 7 wins indefinitely the way things were going.
And our talent, already low, took a nosedive in 2017 and 2018 and recruiting was garbage for 2019

List the names of the Guys that are now Playing at Wofford & Furman that CPJ would've signed over the last 3 years that would be good enough to beat Clemson this year as well as Duke.

If CPJ stays and is in year 14 this Roster looks totally different and much worse in overall Talent, for all we know with the CV19 exception mass numbers of Def guys might have transferred out looking for greener pastures.

You think CPJ could win those games with a CGC Recruited roster rather than CPJ winning in Yr14 with his own Guys, when he up & quit things were getting bad really fast recruiting wise

Remind me who our best player on defense (charlie thomas) was recruited by. Then explain why, if he was part of the empty cupboard, CGC can't find anyone better. I'll wait.

Nobody knows for sure what would have happened in subsequent years but that 7-6 was a MacGyver job. After clownish losses to USF and Pitt, we looked like maybe a 4 win team. Just don't think you could count on scheming your way to 7 wins indefinitely the way things were going. Johnson used every trick he had left just to be a middling coastal team. Given the roster, that was probably one of his better coaching jobs.

We weren't on a good trajectory recruiting wise; something had to change. I don't know if it's because the fan base had given up on CPJ or if he was ready to retire, but it was clear that it wasn't going to continue. The money at least started flowing to recruiting again after CPJ left, but sometimes even a bad change has to happen.

Having said that with how weak the ACC is right now, i think CPJ (or more likely one of his old asisistants) could've lead us to 8 wins this year.

With 9 wins in 3 years, what is laughable is the greatest-rebuild-in-the-history-of-the-universe zealots calling people who liked CPJ "fanboys". At least wait until the current regime can get its head above water. You know, teams who run our current scheme lose hundreds and hundreds of games over the course of a season.

Oh my that was a painful game to watch.

CGC is 9-20 against the weakest ACC since O’Leary was on the Flats. He’ll need to go 8-5 for 9 straight years to get up to the winning percentage of Gomer and CPJ. Think about that for a moment.

The ACC (and the Coastal in particular) has been no worse than it was 2010-2015 or 2018. The Coastal had 0-1 ranked teams in those seasons.

97-01 ACC was superior to that era.

With 9 wins in 3 years, what is laughable is the greatest-rebuild-in-the-history-of-the-universe zealots calling people who liked CPJ "fanboys". At least wait until the current regime can get its head above water. You know, teams who run our current scheme lose hundreds and hundreds of games over the course of a season.
Only problem is that after our former Genius HC up & quit, no one else at the P5 Level would dare try to run such an outdated Offense.

There are no Teams on this level that run that horrible Off that we left in our rearview mirror, so comparisons are difficult

His attitude of getting annoyed and tired of battling the avalanche of negative recruiting and press about the offense did him in. Despite how tiring it must have been to keep up the good fight, he needed to do it, if he wanted to maintain success. It was likely part personality of not giving a öööö what anyone else thinks and part "I'm getting too old for this öööö". Thus, it was time for him to retire. This is the part where Bobinksi could have helped him to extend so more life out of him. If he got him some off field support who could help alleviate as much of that as possible. When that wasn't in the cards, it was time.

His attitude of getting annoyed and tired of battling the avalanche of negative recruiting and press about the offense did him in. Despite how tiring it must have been to keep up the good fight, he needed to do it, if he wanted to maintain success. It was likely part personality of not giving a öööö what anyone else thinks and part "I'm getting too old for this öööö". Thus, it was time for him to retire. This is the part where Bobinksi could have helped him to extend so more life out of him. If he got him some off field support who could help alleviate as much of that as possible. When that wasn't in the cards, it was time.
I’m not sure if that had much to do with it. CPJ was an ornery cuss when he was at GaSou and everyone worshipped him. That’s just him and that’s fine.

I don’t know if Collins is the right guy for Tech right now. But I also know that 2018 (actually probably earlier) and on CPJ wasn’t the right guy either.

Yes. PJ was an OC doubling as stand-in HC for his tenure. It showed in his efforts off the field. No one had issue with the OC part calling the plays

The ACC (and the Coastal in particular) has been no worse than it was 2010-2015 or 2018. The Coastal had 0-1 ranked teams in those seasons.

97-01 ACC was superior to that era.
You mean FSU and and 8 dwarfs? The whole conference only had 2 ranked teams every year except for when GT got #25 despite being 7-5 & losing to 3 unranked teams. We will never have another 4 or 5 loss GT football team be ranked again in our lifetimes unless it’s expanded to a 20 game season.

Remind me who our best player on defense (charlie thomas) was recruited by. Then explain why, if he was part of the empty cupboard, CGC can't find anyone better. I'll wait.
The fact that he is our best player on defense is kind of sad. We need a Phillip Wheeler and Gary Guyton and a Darryl Smith.

You are delusional if you think we beat Clemson this year had CPJ stayed, we likely don't beat Duke either because we never jump out to a lead because we don't throw swing passes like that with CPJ and we don't have Gibbs playing RB.

With the Portal and not having to sit out due to CV19-- if CPJ stays maybe the entire BBack depth chart transfers out of GT.

We'd be 2 - 5 at this point and maybe 1-6 , I'm not sure if CPJ is still here that NIL don't treat us like MTSU did.
The long TD pass early to Gibbs was almost identical to a wheel route TD pass thrown to Laskey against UVA in like 2012.

For all you Guys that love CPJ so much why has no other P5 Program like LSU or USCw not contacted him about their job openings?

With all the Talent in SoCal ,CPJ would be in the CFP every year with his Offensive Genius and with a Ted Roof or a Nate Woody running the defense, isn't this what the Fanboyz would always say if CPJ got hired in the SEC?

Amazing that such a genius coach doesn't draw attention from other ADs in CFB that matches the way the Fanboyz around here feel about him.
Probably because he's 64 and retired. How do you know no one's called him? He coached for like 40 years and is probably happy sitting back and spending his time with his family for once.

Back