Official argue about the old coach thread

Probably because he's 64 and retired. How do you know no one's called him? He coached for like 40 years and is probably happy sitting back and spending his time with his family for once.
I'd guess no P5's have called. Saban is 69 years old.

You mean FSU and and 8 dwarfs? The whole conference only had 2 ranked teams every year except for when GT got #25 despite being 7-5 & losing to 3 unranked teams. We will never have another 4 or 5 loss GT football team be ranked again in our lifetimes unless it’s expanded to a 20 game season.

Because you didn’t pad your record with one (or two if your CPJ) FCS wins a year back then.

The conference had 3 ranked teams every year I mentioned except 99. That’s out of 9 teams. We’ve been lucky to get 3 out of 14 of late.

I'd guess no P5's have called. Saban is 69 years old.
I meant that he might have turned them down and decided he's done coaching football. Saban is an obvious outlier. He has numerous NCs and an AA and fanbase that would do anything for him. CPJ was fighting his own AA for support and funding most of his time here, and there was a large part of the fanbase that wanted him out because they couldn't watch us throw the ball up in the air or something.

I meant that he might have turned them down and decided he's done coaching football. Saban is an obvious outlier. He has numerous NCs and an AA and fanbase that would do anything for him. CPJ was fighting his own AA for support and funding most of his time here, and there was a large part of the fanbase that wanted him out because they couldn't watch us throw the ball up in the air or something.
Fighting for funding? Is that why he wouldn't even make trips to local HS's to meet recruits? Couldn't get gas money?

Once upon a time they believed Auburn was trying to steal him away despite no Auburn sources ever reporting that.
That one was a good one. And the constant "Nebraska should hire CPJ" despite nobody from Nebraska showing the slightest interest.

Fighting for funding? Is that why he wouldn't even make trips to local HS's to meet recruits? Couldn't get gas money?

Oddly, CPJ switched the GT recruiting strategy to focus more on GA when he got here. The quote was something like ‘why get a guy from out of state if you can get the same caliber player right here’.

But we were close to last in recruiting budget under Bobinski. TStan expanded it quite a bit when he arrived.

Probably because he's 64 and retired. How do you know no one's called him? He coached for like 40 years and is probably happy sitting back and spending his time with his family for once.
I bet he still wants to be an OC to run his offense and tinker with it, just not the head coach responsible for being the face of the program and recruiting. Only issue with that is it would mean taking a step down somewhere and the pride of being a head coach for that long won't let him. Maybe as a co-HC or on-field HC so he still haves autonomy in what he cares about.

So all Chan needed to do was beat UGA? CPJ was just a few % points better in winning record at GT. Is that all it takes?
2006 was do-or-die for Chan. UGA was down, the ACC title was there for the taking, and we had an incredible amount of talent on both sides of the ball.

We blew it.

I didn’t hate Gailey like many others did, but CPJ taking his players and winning 9 games in his first season where we were predicted to go 3-9, immediately beating UGA, and then winning the ACC title in year 2, was the nail in the coffin for his legacy.

following up that conference title (but not beating the mutts or uga that year) with our first losing season since B*** L**** really sums up the PJ Era nicely. Besides not-beating-mutts-when-we-should've, PJ's biggest failure was not maintaining program momentum. 2010 & 2015 were both poor seasons after great ones.
Even as a CPJ fan, I’ll co-sign this. We just didn’t recruit well enough for our success to be anything other than lightning in a bottle.

2006 was do-or-die for Chan. UGA was down, the ACC title was there for the taking, and we had an incredible amount of talent on both sides of the ball.

We blew it.

I didn’t hate Gailey like many others did, but CPJ taking his players and winning 9 games in his first season where we were predicted to go 3-9, immediately beating UGA, and then winning the ACC title in year 2, was the nail in the coffin for his legacy.
The 2006 UGA team still had 18 players on the roster eventually go pro. Dammit, 15-12. We should have beaten them.

The 2006 UGA team still had 18 players on the roster eventually go pro. Dammit, 15-12. We should have beaten them.
But the meat of the UGA team was underclassmen at the time. That was the big deal about them.

But the meat of the UGA team was underclassmen at the time. That was the big deal about them.
Definitely.

I'm still pissed our CS department was subpar to UGAg's so Brandon Miller committed to them instead of us.

We blew it.

I didn't hate Gailey but yeah, he had to go for exactly why you stated.

That 06 uga team was still as good or better than 6 of the uga teams Johnson faced.

Can’t help but wonder after watching us get handled by yet another crappy team, on the way to another losing season… would CPJ have won the ACC this year, with this team?

Can’t help but wonder after watching us get handled by yet another crappy team, on the way to another losing season… would CPJ have won the ACC this year, with this team?

This team? Yes. A team he recruited? Maybe but probably not. Probably would have still gotten manhandled by Pitt. He was having trouble with them too.

Last edited:
I keep going back to this thought:

There are 128 FCS teams. Realistically, you are never routinely going to out recruit the top 15 to 25% of those teams. Sure, you might pull a top 25 or even top 20 class here and there but you're going to live below that upper echelon in recruiting for various reasons within and out of your control. So, how do you beat those teams? Schematically, NOT by lining up and trying to run the same type of offense as them with lesser players.

Back