Official argue about the old coach thread

He did well against many schools, until they figured him out. What if he stayed 3 more years? What would be his record against Duke these last 3 years? Statistically, .333, and I think with the roster he left he would be lucky to get that one win.

I don’t think CPJ lost to a Duke team that ended with a losing record. So lose in 2019 (to make duke 6-6), win last year, maybe this year.

Extended win streak over VT.

Probably look like the Washington/Marshall years since none of the QB looked like a future JT5.

Explain why the 2014 Season, the 2008 Season, and the 2009 Season, didn't elevate our In-State Recruiting beyond where Chan had it?

Why didn't Recruits respond to all "the Big Wins" like you obviously did?

Explain & justify why the Coach at that time didn't cash in Recruiting wise, after those seasons, what did his " winning" do for GT FB in the big picture?

To recruit, you must actually visit the schools and meet the players and coaches. From everything I've read from metro ATL HS coaches, this flat-out wasn't occurring.

CPJ came in the door after we went to a minor bowl, he went out the door after we went to a minor bowl. The reason for the comparison is that we "ripped the bandaid off" and didn't even attempt to field an offense that fit the personnel in any shape or fashion. Why isn't anyone holding Pnope accountable for that major screw up?

Why would we hire a guy to take us into the 21st century but continue to run plays out of the TO? "Rip the bandaid off" means we don't run any part of the TO whatsoever.

I wouldn't be surprised if CGC was told "No more freaking QB Keepers on 3rd & 8 - that's not offensive genius!".

I don’t think CPJ lost to a Duke team that ended with a losing record. So lose in 2019 (to make duke 6-6), win last year, maybe this year.

Extended win streak over VT.

Probably look like the Washington/Marshall years since none of the QB looked like a future JT5.
JT5 had one good year and averaged 6 wins his other two years. You pointed that out to claim 2014 was not an anomaly (?!?). Why is he your gold standard based on one anomalous year?

JT5 had one good year and averaged 6 wins his other two years. You pointed that out to claim 2014 was not an anomaly (?!?). Why is he your gold standard based on one anomalous year?

wins: 11,3,9
bowl wins: 1,-,1
Acc wins: 6, 1, 4
uga wins: 1,0,1

2014 wasn’t the outlier.

I guess by your metric Joe Ham had one good year and Godsey had none?

Why would we hire a guy to take us into the 21st century but continue to run plays out of the TO? "Rip the bandaid off" means we don't run any part of the TO whatsoever.

I wouldn't be surprised if CGC was told "No more freaking QB Keepers on 3rd & 8 - that's not offensive genius!".

You do know we have run triple option plays every year CGC has been here. We also have run qb draws on 3rd and long every year he has been here.

Ripping the bandaid off was dropping any attempt to match our personnel to the offense though. If that got us Gibbs, I am fine with it.

wins: 11,3,9
bowl wins: 1,-,1
Acc wins: 6, 1, 4
uga wins: 1,0,1

2014 wasn’t the outlier.

I guess by your metric Joe Ham had one good year and Godsey had none?
So you are saying 2015 to 2018 were the outliers, when we went 14-18 in ACC play?

By my metrics Joe has 2.5 great years and George had 2 out of 2. Only you would denigrate 5 bowl teams all ranked at the end of the year to prop up your idols.

But you cling to your guy. 1 outlier year and 2.5 average acc wins the other two. In your glory days we went 12-12 in conference and you slap down a period when we went 27-13. Geez. Some fan you are.

You settled for mediocrity. You just don't know what we can do.

Averaged a 3 win season and a 9 win season together? How is that even a meaningful data point.

JT5 took down uga twice and it should have been 3.
Also should have been 4 in a row.

You sound like Gene Chizik from Aubie talking about Wins with Cam Newton when they won the MNC but didn't follow it up with RECRUITING to sustain the success at decent level, no one at Aubie expected a MNC every yr, but you don't drop down and start having losing seasons.

We went from 11-3 to 3-9, now talk about "wins"

Here we go again. You sound like you're concerned about winning the preseason natty more than actual games.

Regarding 3 win seasons, are you referring to the statistical outlier sandwiched between 2 really good years? Or are you referring to the '19 season where CGC officially established our "new normal" of 3 win seasons?

So you are saying 2015 to 2018 were the outliers, when we went 14-18 in ACC play?

By my metrics Joe has 2.5 great years and George had 2 out of 2. Only you would denigrate 5 bowl teams all ranked at the end of the year to prop up your idols.

But you cling to your guy. 1 outlier year and 2.5 average acc wins the other two. In your glory days we went 12-12 in conference and you slap down a period when we went 27-13. Geez. Some fan you are.

You settled for mediocrity. You just don't know what we can do.

Nice. Goalposts successfully moved from JT5 starting and wins. New goalpost, roughly JT5 starting, making a bowl, and ending the season ranked. I’m glad you have removed the 10 win minimum (or maybe it was 11, you didn’t say).

I will be happy to use the bar when Gailey arrived, winning bowls and ending ranked. We’ll toss in beating uga half the time as well.

If we do that, I will rank CGC up there with O’Leary as great GT coaches that I’ve watched (which starts with Lewis).

Edit: I had deleted the Lewis years from my memory

Here we go again. You sound like you're concerned about winning the preseason natty more than actual games.

Regarding 3 win seasons, are you referring to the statistical outlier sandwiched between 2 really good years? Or are you referring to the '19 season where CGC officially established our "new normal" of 3 win seasons?

3 or less wins a season are what you do when you are rebuilding. It comes into serious question when you have coaching continuity and all your own players. Why is this not obvious?

3 or less wins a season are what you do when you are rebuilding. It comes into serious question when you have coaching continuity and all your own players. Why is this not obvious?

Agreed. Especially true when switching incompatible systems. Getting 4 or 5 wins in year 1-2 wouldn’t be worth it if it stretched out the meh years (3-4) to years 3-6.

Averaged a 3 win season and a 9 win season together? How is that even a meaningful data point.

JT5 took down uga twice and it should have been 3.
Also should have been 4 in a row.
It was meaningful in context. I said 2014 was an anomaly, since it did not happen before or after, with this coach's players.
Dude came back and said it was not an anomaly cuz quarterback. He with a straight face cited a 3 and 9 win season. 9 wins is good but it is still an anomalous 2014 plus two years of an average of 6 wins and a losing conference record.
I point this out.

Nice. Goalposts successfully moved from JT5 starting and wins. New goalpost, roughly JT5 starting, making a bowl, and ending the season ranked. I’m glad you have removed the 10 win minimum (or maybe it was 11, you didn’t say).

I will be happy to use the bar when Gailey arrived, winning bowls and ending ranked. We’ll toss in beating uga half the time as well.

If we do that, I will rank CGC up there with O’Leary as great GT coaches that I’ve watched (which starts with Lewis).

Edit: I had deleted the Lewis years from my memory
Goalposts not move. Just pointing out you have accepted mediocrity when your coach has all his own players.

PS You moved the goalposts when you moved from coach to player.

Last edited:
What I hate about discussing Paul Johnson is that if you defend his performance in any way people often strawman your position by assuming you think he's a coaching god and he did no wrong. And they assume too you must hate Collins and want to go back to the 3O.

I like both Paul Johnson and Geoff Collins. Is that allowed? I think both coaches had/have strengths and weaknesses.

When said 3 win season includes a win over a top-10 team and is an outlier is sandwiched between 2 really good seasons (with wins over uga), it seems to settle for me whether there's a persistent or temporary issue.

When 3 wins becomes the new normal, that would indicate a major problem. Why is this not obvious?

Goalposts not move. Just pointing out you have accepted mediocrity when your coach has all his own players.

Just own it man, your post was 3 sentences. Sentence 1 confirmed JT5 as starter were the base years. Sentence 1 established wins as the metric. Sentences 2&3 questioned why I would be happy with that span (11,3,9).

Now you want to make it bowl appearance and end ranked. Goalpost moved.

I would be happy with a repeated 3 year span of the JT5 years with some slight variability. One year with a top 10 finish beating a top 10 uga team, and going 2-1 in the top 10, and another win over a ranked Clemson. Horrible year with a fluke win over a top 10 team (one score loss to uga). Nine wine season where we lose to top 10 team and end 1-3 against ranked teams, followed by beating uga and winning a bowl. End unranked.

I would also probably live with Nesbitt/Washington 5 year cycle or Lee/Thomas/Marshall 6 year cycle. So basically Chan with a larger standard deviation. You can call this accepting mediocrity.

I would not want a Washington/Lee/Thomas/Marshall cycle. I believe that is really what CPJ would be at the P5 level.

I don’t want a Chan cycle.

I would prefer a GOL six year cycle and hope CGC gets there. To get there though, he is going to have to couple himself with a top coordinator on either O or D which I don’t see on this staff. Maybe someone like Choice is that guy.

Last edited:
When said 3 win season includes a win over a top-10 team and is an outlier is sandwiched between 2 really good seasons (with wins over uga), it seems to settle for me whether there's a persistent or temporary issue.

When 3 wins becomes the new normal, that would indicate a major problem. Why is this not obvious?
After Pepper Rodgers stopped running the option, GT absolutely sucked for a few years too. I think we lost 69-14 to Notre Dame (who had some guy named Joe Montana playing QB).

The only thing that bothers me on here is people acting like 3 wins is “the new norm”. No. It’s always going to be like that when you stop running the triple option. I don’t care what decade you’re playing in.

Geoff Collins is a proven recruiter. He’s getting the job done there. Only things I don’t like are the Money Down, push ups on the sideline, and that exchange he had with Narduzzi after the Pitt game last year.

We still have some 3O guys playing on OL who are not good. The transfers help a little but they’re only in the system for one season. Transitioning out of a 11 year triple option program is a monumental task at the P5 level.

Many on here mock CGC for repeatedly saying “biggest transition in history”. However, he’s not wrong. I suppose “it is what it is”.

Back