Official: Check in here to eat your CGC and Sims crow

Y’all see my avatar and title? Well, we’ve played lights out every game since I changed it to the “we suck this much”. If I change it now, it’ll probably jinx the team so it’s staying.

Yep. PJ knows more X’s and O’s than 99% of any CFB coach who has ever coached the game. But fact is GT had one of, if not the weakest roster of all P5 teams when CGC took over. There are very few good coaches that would have accepted that challenge.
Compare it to UNC. Essentially all Mack Brown had to do is keep the same level of recruiting and not let it drop. The cupboard was not depleted at UNC

Biggest CGC and Sims fan around, but this is just one game, like NIU was just one game. I would take 6 wins in a heartbeat. However, it is obvious to me that our talent has improved and that our coaching is improving. If this continues, watch out down the road.

Nothing sims was doing helped the o-line.. they created space and gaps unlike first half
Yeah this is wrong. It’s not a coincidence that our OL and RBs “suddenly” looked better in the 2nd half. Sims burned the D so badly on option plays that they couldn’t attack the box as aggressively, so we had more time to set plays up.

I’ve been pretty critical of Sims’ tendency to turn the ball over, but he was absolutely a game changer for us last night.

Yeah this is wrong. It’s not a coincidence that our OL and RBs “suddenly” looked better in the 2nd half. Sims burned the D so badly on option plays that they couldn’t attack the box as aggressively, so we had more time to set plays up.

I’ve been pretty critical of Sims’ tendency to turn the ball over, but he was absolutely a game changer for us last night.
The pockets created looked so clean.. if sims makes that happen and Yates can’t.. I’m cool with it whatever makes the o-line play better

You rich ööööers even read the Wall Street Journal on Sunday morning to get your sports? Did you also wake your broker to put in a buy for Amalgamated and Acme?
To be fair, Acme does make the best jet powered roller skates.

It was obvious UNC didnt have a defensive answer for Sims' running ability in the open field. Yates can run, but not at Sims' gamebreaking open field level.

As euphoric over the win as anyone, but imho his passing was still concerning. Everything is a fastball. He is lazering in heat even in dumpoff passes over the middle.

Teams moving forward are going to take his legs away and force him to beat them through the air. That will be hard to do on overwhelmingly lazer passes and so few touch passes. At least on a few of the late game conversions he took some heat off. Good news is the guys caught most everything catchable. Heck of a job.

Take away the +3 and we have no room for error, right? If we go -anything we likely lose.

As stated before itt, its nice to at least see that we have the athletes of a high level team. Big, strong, quick. Very impressive. Need to keep that up.

The board suggested we had to get two back sets (technically because the RB talent is so far ahead of the WR talent right now) Saw that some and it appeared very successful as expected.

Future looks good. Only concern is Sims passing % (hard throws are hard to catch) and can we continue to avoid turnovers.
All of this is incorrect. His passes were largely great. The TD was an effortless flick of the wrist.

The future depends on one thing - can our coaches adjust to what the other coaches will do? They now have 2 games of tape regarding our “new and improved” defense. They now have last nights use of Sims on tape. Right now, Pitt coaches are cutting up our offensive tape for their LB’s and DB’s regarding Sims. VT and UGA are having grad assistants right now doing the same.

I personally have little faith in Patenaude because I saw last year he did very little adjusting as coaches adjusted to Sims after FSU and he put Sims in positions to fail and let Sims reputation take a hit regarding turnovers. I give Patenaude credit for getting Gibbs and Smith on the field at the same time. But it shouldn’t have taken him until game 4 to see it. If he did that last week maybe we bag the big game like NC State did.

Sims definitely made a huge difference. Isn’t it ironic though we used optioning to light the fire? Crazy. We also finally went to 2 back set. Goober is reading something, somewhere.

Compare it to UNC. Essentially all Mack Brown had to do is keep the same level of recruiting and not let it drop. The cupboard was not depleted at UNC
And they still got their asses whipped.

He came in & scored the TD when inexplicably UNC left the whole middle of the field open,
I believe the middle was inexplicably open because the RB went in motion to the right side drawing the middle LB to cover him. It was designed to spread the defense and make running lane for Sims.

It was obvious UNC didnt have a defensive answer for Sims' running ability in the open field. Yates can run, but not at Sims' gamebreaking open field level.

As euphoric over the win as anyone, but imho his passing was still concerning. Everything is a fastball. He is lazering in heat even in dumpoff passes over the middle.

Teams moving forward are going to take his legs away and force him to beat them through the air. That will be hard to do on overwhelmingly lazer passes and so few touch passes. At least on a few of the late game conversions he took some heat off. Good news is the guys caught most everything catchable. Heck of a job.

Take away the +3 and we have no room for error, right? If we go -anything we likely lose.

As stated before itt, its nice to at least see that we have the athletes of a high level team. Big, strong, quick. Very impressive. Need to keep that up.

The board suggested we had to get two back sets (technically because the RB talent is so far ahead of the WR talent right now) Saw that some and it appeared very successful as expected.

Future looks good. Only concern is Sims passing % (hard throws are hard to catch) and can we continue to avoid turnovers.
True my only knock on sims is he’s extremely turnover prone compared to Yates when facing pressure in passing scenarios. IF he can keep the defense off balance like second half last night and use play action.. it’ll be fine

This was the GT team I expected to see when they played NIU. I’m glad they showed up and played lights out. Looking forward to them building on this success week after week. Keep the momentum going!

Sims definitely made a huge difference. Isn’t it ironic though we used optioning to light the fire? Crazy. We also finally went to 2 back set. Goober is reading something, somewhere.
RPO is a different animal from "optioning" especially when you use that term in this Territory

Read-option or RPO is what we should've embraced 14yrs ago(?) when Chip Kelly was going 100mph changing CFB forever at Oregon

Back