Official: Check in here to eat your CGC and Sims crow

So when Collins took over, we had the personnel in place to run our offense?

We had the personnel in place to run an offense that fit the roster when Collins took over, and no it did not have to be PJ's triple option. We've had the personnel to run the offense we saw in the second half of the UNC game at the start of this season....and last season. We've got 4 very good RB's (thanks primarily to CGC's recruiting), there isn't a good reason to only put one of them on the field at a time.

I’ve never öööö talked about any of the coaches, here or elsewhere, but have had my doubts about their abilities. CGC does not bother me, his platitudes become exhausting at times but otherwise he seems like a genuine good dude. Patenaude, I’ve had the most doubts about. I was impressed last night with the calls but my jaw dropped with the two point conversion. I’ve got to give him some credit.

note: the poster is "Option"Jacket. I.E. Another PJ Fan Club guy who'll never accept that PJ's time here is over and it's time to move on. Just ignore these haters.
Dude, you are way wrong. It was well past time for Johnson to go. He was his own worst enemy in never evolving his offense or recruiting and acting as if defense was optional. I like Collins. But I’m not giving him a pass when he stinks. Against NIU he stunk as a head coach after telling us how ”elite” everyone was all off season. He created the hype, not me. Against Pitt last year he stunk and then acted like a 4 year old with the handshake that went viral. I hope Collins never loses another game. I do see him making strides in the coaching area so maybe as we get to year 4 we can take control of the Coastal, if not this year. That was something Johnson could never do even though it’s a mediocre division. Hopefully Collins can.

Attachments

• 48D9E8DF-7D4F-4A5E-88E4-14E33BDA9480.jpeg
    48D9E8DF-7D4F-4A5E-88E4-14E33BDA9480.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 68
We didn't run this offense before now because we were 'ripping the band aid off' and running the offense of the future; while blaming all the problems on the roster.
Which is accurate, when CGC took over this was a bottom tier Roster among P5 Teams WRT to raw FB Talent , the roster should have taken the brunt of the blame

Shortening the Game, tons of low contact blocking while the other Team is worried about injuries while trying to go Pro, masked what kind of shape GT FB was really in, those that are CFB experts knew what kind of shape we were in after the Minnesota Bowl Game

Add in changes to NCAA Rules, plus lukewarm responses from HS Coaches and Recruits, there was only one choice to make -- something had to be done

You don't find it amazing that so many ADs refuse to hire and present to their Fanbase a certified Offensive genius as their next HC?

Which is accurate, when CGC took over this was a bottom tier Roster among P5 Teams WRT to raw FB Talent , the roster should have taken the brunt of the blame

Shortening the Game, tons of low contact blocking while the other Team is worried about injuries while trying to go Pro, masked what kind of shape GT FB was really in, those that are CFB experts knew what kind of shape we were in after the Minnesota Bowl Game

Add in changes to NCAA Rules, plus lukewarm responses from HS Coaches and Recruits, there was only one choice to make -- something had to be done

You don't find it amazing that so many ADs refuse to hire and present to their Fanbase a certified Offensive genius as their next HC?

So what were the big roster changes between NIU and UNC, or between last year and this year?

Before the first touchdown? He was 10/13 the whole stretch. I don’t understand
My dad coached with a guy who won a youth game running one play. Asked why he didnt mix it up and coach said Im gonna run a play till they stop it.

Correct thinking. Brilliant coach. But not seen much in college. We did go to the Sims keeper well often but we threw in some passes. He missed them before he started connecting. Only reason the misses didnt matter is because he ripped off huge chunks of yards to get points or a new set of downs.

I noticed that too. Pretty amazing run, no? Sustainable?

No, but I think he is talented enough to play much closer to that level on a regular basis than his NIU performance. I'm sure he'll have his ups and downs, but if he can continue to avoid turnovers and Patenaude puts him in positions to succeed, his athletic ability will take care of the rest.

One of the things I remember about the opener was we were running effectively but kept trying to prove we could air it out deep early. Sims was inaccurate and looked disjointed, and I don't feel like the play calls were doing him any favors. Once Yates came in, Patenaude took a more measured approach and focused on the short game when throwing. The mental aspect is key at QB, so I'd like to see us make a concerted effort in getting Sims into a rhythm early with the short stuff as opposed to trying to force it down the field from the jump.

My dad coached with a guy who won a youth game running one play. Asked why he didnt mix it up and coach said Im gonna run a play till they stop it.

Correct thinking. Brilliant coach. But not seen much in college. We did go to the Sims keeper well often but we threw in some passes. He missed them before he started connecting. Only reason the misses didnt matter is because he ripped off huge chunks of yards to get points or a new set of downs.
That may be true. But it was also the more lucrative play for the offense at the time. Yates is good, but he may be easier to plan for.

Don’t lie… after last night do you think it’s doable?
I assume you do, but be honest, what percent is us looking better and what percent is the ACC being so "competitive"?

I'd put it 50-50. Most expected 2-2 right now. Different path obv. ND and UGA gonna be big underdogs, Miami probably. We gotta go 4-1 for the rest. Little room for error still, but I like our chances to maybe even get 7 or 8.

I assume you do, but be honest, what percent is us looking better and what percent is the ACC being so "competitive"?

I'd put it 50-50. Most expected 2-2 right now. Different path obv. ND and UGA gonna be big underdogs, Miami probably. We gotta go 4-1 for the rest. Little room for error still, but I like our chances to maybe even get 7 or 8.
When it’s defense you’re talking about and you do it back to back weeks, in my opinion it’s more reproducible than a great offense. If they do the same to Pitt I hope you believe.

There were some designed keepers but also a lot of read option in which Sims correctly held on. Quite frankly, Sims has struggled mightily with the reads and mesh on those plays since arriving, leading to a lot of fumbles and blown up plays. Last night he was incredibly smooth, and it was the first time in the Collins era that I really felt like we were seeing the materialization of an offensive identity. Of course, now it's up to the team to keep it going and prove it wasn't a flash in the pan.

Present. Simms looked great. Best I’ve seen from him. Defense played lights out except for a few missed tackles and some coverage issues. Great team win. Collins has shown the willingness to try new things and they are helping to compensate for some of our known weaknesses. Simms and Collins are still in OJT mode, but I’m encouraged to see the improvement.

So when Collins took over, we had the personnel in place to run our offense?
There certainly were the personnel to run the RPO right off the bat. It was the sensible transitional step, but we chose otherwise for reasons which defy logic. Look I’m glad the light is coming on. Maybe we needed our loss to directional U to drive the fear of failure into the organization and make the leadership scared their necks were on the line? We were too comfortable with losing. Losing to directional U enraged the fanbase & I think Stansbury got the message, loud and clear. The players were rightfully ashamed. Enough was enough. Quit f’ing around and start playing to win. Well, for Clemson a game which we in retrospect we’re not going to lose by 70 but should have been a thumping anyway, we radically change our defense and come out firing. We nearly pull off a huge upset on the road. Shut them down. Then we follow up and shut down another high scoring offense. Sims comes in after being benched & possibly it lit a fire under his ass too.

Frankly, I don’t really care. GT used to have a chance to win every single week, despite the odds and being seriously overmatched. We’ve had many an upset we had no way of pulling off, but we did. For the past 2 weeks, CGC has delivered. He can wear a ööööing tutu and heels for all I care, he can slobber like a teenage girl on TV, he can either sound like an Ed Orgeron imbecile if he wins or keeps GT legitimately competitive each week.

I’m personally writing off CGC’s first 24 games as a training wheel period. He’s 1-1 as far as I’m concerned & if he keeps this up, all the yapping about him will subside. He probably needs to re-evaluate 2 of his staff, but that’s for him to decide. If we somehow can win despite those 2, more power to him. He’s a big boy & we’ve seen the past 8 days no excuses have been needed. The staff just needed to coach like their futures were on the line & cut out the excuse making bullshit.

No, but I think he is talented enough to play much closer to that level on a regular basis than his NIU performance. I'm sure he'll have his ups and downs, but if he can continue to avoid turnovers and Patenaude puts him in positions to succeed, his athletic ability will take care of the rest.

One of the things I remember about the opener was we were running effectively but kept trying to prove we could air it out deep early. Sims was inaccurate and looked disjointed, and I don't feel like the play calls were doing him any favors. Once Yates came in, Patenaude took a more measured approach and focused on the short game when throwing. The mental aspect is key at QB, so I'd like to see us make a concerted effort in getting Sims into a rhythm early with the short stuff as opposed to trying to force it down the field from the jump.

True. And compare to UNC where our longest completion of the night was 28 yards including YAC. Sims averaged 11.2 yards per completion including YAC. I hope Pdude will continue this short pass mixed with the run.

Back