Official: Check in here to eat your CGC and Sims crow

True. And compare to UNC where our longest completion of the night was 28 yards including YAC. Sims averaged 11.2 yards per completion including YAC. I hope Pdude will continue this short pass mixed with the run.

The way McGowen runs after the catch, he's likely to pop at least one for a big gain every week anyway.

I'll say this about the roster situation at the start of the CGC era: we were near the bottom of the ACC in talent and were severely lacking in game-changing players. On offense, we were relying heavily on upperclassmen recruited specifically for the triple option. A lot of those guys were from some of CPJ's worst recruiting classes IIRC. That's not to excuse the staff for not devising a better scheme to fit the personnel, because both things can be true.

In CPJ's defense, he had some real gems in his last class or two who are now impact players for us. Right now it's a nice mix of those guys, CGC recruits, and transfers.

True. And compare to UNC where our longest completion of the night was 28 yards including YAC. Sims averaged 11.2 yards per completion including YAC. I hope Pdude will continue this short pass mixed with the run.

I'm fine with the occasional deep shot as long as it's within the flow of the game. We have some talented receivers who deserve opportunities, but our RB corps is elite and any offense not centered around maximizing their talents (and Sims' athleticism) makes no sense.

This week will be one of the toughest tests for the team. We are not good enough to goof off and win on Saturday. We cannot revel in this victory any more beyond today and even lasting today may have been too long. It is the hardest challenge in college football to get maximum commitment and effort out of your players but I think the culture Collins has built is capabale of it. He just has to put his big boy pants on and demand it. It is way more FUN to win. It is FUN to get to your absolute maximum potential and do it week after week. It can be FUN to be great but it also requires an immense amount of work, discipline, and focus.

Ive always been cautiously optimistic with this young coaching staff. In the positives thread from NIU I said the main positive is that all our goals and a successful season is still very possible. We can win the ACC and we can beat UGA.

This week will be one of the toughest tests for the team. We are not good enough to goof off and win on Saturday. We cannot revel in this victory any more beyond today and even lasting today may have been too long. It is the hardest challenge in college football to get maximum commitment and effort out of your players but I think the culture Collins has built is capabale of it. He just has to put his big boy pants on and demand it. It is way more FUN to win. It is FUN to get to your absolute maximum potential and do it week after week. It can be FUN to be great but it also requires an immense amount of work, discipline, and focus.

Ive always been cautiously optimistic with this young coaching staff. In the positives thread from NIU I said the main positive is that all our goals and a successful season is still very possible. We can win the ACC and we can beat UGA.

Very true. We should all be ecstatic about that performance, but a lot of those positive feelings will disappear if we follow it up by laying an egg. The disappointment after NIU, for me, stemmed largely from it feeling like a continuation of the team underperforming against lesser talented teams. We'd seen it vs. The Citadel, Syracuse, etc. The next two weeks, we need to prove we can take care of business against inferior opponents.

Very true. We should all be ecstatic about that performance, but a lot of those positive feelings will disappear if we follow it up by laying an egg. The disappointment after NIU, for me, stemmed largely from it feeling like a continuation of the team underperforming against lesser talented teams. We'd seen it vs. The Citadel, Syracuse, etc. The next two weeks, we need to prove we can take care of business against inferior opponents.
Vegas thinks Pitt is not an inferior opponent. The arrogance from our fanbase is pretty amazing. I hope the team doesn't prepare as if they think Pitt is inferior. Right now Pitt is superior to us. We haven't been competitive with them at all.

Vegas thinks Pitt is not an inferior opponent. The arrogance from our fanbase is pretty amazing. I hope the team doesn't prepare as if they think Pitt is inferior. Right now Pitt is superior to us. We haven't been competitive with them at all.
I can only hope. Any kind of resemblance to the defense of the last couple of weeks and I’m going to lose my mind.

You can call it arrogance if you want, but I'd say you're wrong. We are more talented than Pitt is. If we play to our full potential and Pitt plays to theirs, we win. Ergo, they are an inferior opponent. I don't care what the spread says. The spread said UNC was two touchdowns better than us and we were, what, three touchdowns better than NIU?

And yeah man, the players and coaches should be focused and prepare with earnest for every opponent.

Didn’t we have a chance to tie the game late in the 4th last season?

Didn’t we have a chance to tie the game late in the 4th last season?
Yes

Scored a touchdown with 6:00 left in the game to pull within a score, 20-26. Then we couldn't stop that little RB of theirs who ran all over us ending in a 38 yard TD run.

With how different our DL and LB personnel are going to look I'm expecting much different results as far as run D.

How much faith did you have that we would blow out UNC? Or keep it close with Clemson? Or even blow out KSU? Seems like the people most emphatically wanting their enduring skepticism noted after a win, emphasizing it's only one game, are rarely so dismissive of our losses.

To be clear, are you saying a loss to a crappy niu after back to back 3 win seasons should've been dismissed by fans? We should've been skeptical that it was part of a trend?

I'll say this about the roster situation at the start of the CGC era: we were near the bottom of the ACC in talent and were severely lacking in game-changing players. On offense, we were relying heavily on upperclassmen recruited specifically for the triple option. A lot of those guys were from some of CPJ's worst recruiting classes IIRC. That's not to excuse the staff for not devising a better scheme to fit the personnel, because both things can be true.

In CPJ's defense, he had some real gems in his last class or two who are now impact players for us. Right now it's a nice mix of those guys, CGC recruits, and transfers.

Some of the impact players now were impact players then. I think the biggest problem was more of the lack of talent/depth at the ol and dl.

Some of the impact players now were impact players then. I think the biggest problem was more of the lack of talent/depth at the ol and dl.

There were a handful. A lot of the guys in secondary were already very good players. The lines definitely weren't in good shape, agreed.

To be clear, are you saying a loss to a crappy niu after back to back 3 win seasons should've been dismissed by fans? We should've been skeptical that it was part of a trend?

No, just pointing out that there are some posters who are very quick to dismiss wins as "just one game" but magnify the importance of any individual loss. I'm not saying we pretend like the bad losses haven't happened; I just think part of being a fan is being able to celebrate when things go well, not just complain when things don't.

I'm not going to name names, but there are posters whose presence on this board increase considerably when things aren't going well, but who can barely be found when the team wins. There were some like this during the old regime, too, and I just think it's a sad form of sports fan.

Back