Official Coordinators Search And News Thread

Allowed the roster and the facilities to fall so far behind every other school in the area that some high schools had it better than we did.
That’s not entirely correct. Pepper was promised new and improved facilities as part of his offer, but he pissed of the money guys with his antics and they refused to pay for it. So the weight room kept its dirt floor. Facilities was really on the AD, not Pepper.

But you are correct; some high schools had better facilities..

It's invalid in this case anyway. Part of the justification for the Key hire was keeping our players and not having to rebuild. You don't get to keep your same team (except the usual attrition) and many of the coaches and call it a rebuild.

Agreed. I would actually say almost the entire reason Key has the job is because he showed he can win now with this roster.

There is no rebuild. Next year should be a bowl.

Rebuilds are usually a bitch (see Bobby Ross). Curry's biggest FU was leaving for GD Alabama of all places and throwify=fter ng Bobby Dodd under the bus.
How did he throw Bobby Dodd under the bus?
The Summer after Curry left, Bobby Dodd came up to Nashville to speak to the Nashville GT club. I personally heard Dodd say that he advised Curry to take the Bama job because he could win a National Championship at Bama and he could not win one at Tech. In retrospect, Dodd was wrong.

Now that Long is officially gone what are some names for new OC?
Mark Whipple - Previous NEB and Pitt
Andy Kotelnicki - Kansas OC
Paul Chrystal - Previous WIS
Joey Halzle - Tenn QB coach
Bryan Eliis - GSU OC

What are some other names who could fit?

Bryan Ellis - GSU OC

That's a good one.

Bryan Eliis - GSU OC

Minus Whipple, I'll take any of those guys

Do you mean Paul Chryst? The Wis. HC who just negotiated a sweet buyout that included major upfront money? Why would he even consider returning to the OC ranks, when he's more likely to be a HC candidate at the time of his choosing?

Check out some of these teams with high octane offenses - Tennessee, TCU, UCF, UCLA, Washington and look for an up and coming assistant who has assisted in calling plays. We won't be able to get the co-ordinator, but could probably entice a guy who has been around success and is looking for a OC job.

You weren’t impressed with Z. Gibson’s turnaround? That remarkable imo and that’s on weinke.
He got the lion's share of the practice reps, especially with the 1s, probably anywhere from 2/3 to 3/4 the last couple of weeks, so some progression was likely in the offing regardless. He was only getting a handful of reps in practice - and how many of those were with the 1s - prior to Sims' and Pyron's injuries.
However, remember how unprepared he looked to start with, and good coaches know the backup is only one play away from getting in there and they better get him ready. They didn't and he wasn't. His better play could be the result of finally getting an adequate number of reps in practice with the 1s and that was by default. Let's give the kid some credit first.

I wonder why Key fired Lewis Caralla? Thought he was supposed to be a really good s/c guy.

Color me skeptical that less than one week of changed practice was sufficient to change what was going on with the team enough to beat Pitt. There was something else going on. I don’t know what it is, but 4 practices is not enough to suddenly instill fundamentals that have been missing for so long.

Don't think of a week of practice as a cumulative event. Take it as in an individual event, with cumulative effects - e.g., the more a player gets reps, the better he is likely (though not always) to become - with a targeted outcome, preparing to compete against an opponent and preparing for what that opponent does
Instead of not having a scout team and instead having a DJ and a dance party at practice, Key decides to get the players ready for that week's opponents - their formations, their tendencies, who to take advantage of and who to avoid. You know, the kinds of things the other 130 FBS coaches do on a weekly basis.
So now, rather than the Collins continued Mongolian CF (thank you, George Carlin) of practices, they are actually focused on the task at hand for once. Of course, it helped Pitt played like they had just eaten at a Mexican buffet before kickoff. But I submit that actually being ready for an opponent, like we used to be, was a big help in that win.

I also just wanted to get Collins and Mongolian CF into the same sentence. Because they go together so well. But I stand by my original premise.

I wonder why Key fired Lewis Caralla? Thought he was supposed to be a really good s/c guy.

Just speculating here (somebody who knows more please correct if I'm wrong), but S&C coaches are the eyes and ears of the head coach during non-seasonal periods (now to start of spring practice, end of spring practice to fall camp) I believe on field coaches are only allowed 8 hours/wk of "contact" with players during these periods, but S&C coach contact hours are "not countable".

Caralla was TFG's guy, maybe Key wants a different set of eyes. I'd like to see Will Bryan get an interview.

Minus Whipple, I'll take any of those guys
No opinion on the other guys but not really interested in Whipple. Wiki shows him as the OC of Nebraska. He rarely stays in one place more than 2 seasons.

No opinion on the other guys but not really interested in Whipple. Wiki shows him as the OC of Nebraska. He rarely stays in one place more than 2 seasons.
I doubt Rhule is keeping Whipple.
But you can also read into that other programs want him, so he stays in one place not very long.

I like Andy Kotelnicki (Kansas OC). Not sure we could get him away from that staff that has been together since Div III ball though.

Back