Official Coordinators Search And News Thread

Allowed the roster and the facilities to fall so far behind every other school in the area that some high schools had it better than we did.
Look at the players drafted by the NFL between 1974 and 1979 when Pepper was the coach. Looks like the most ever drafted in a five year period. I counted 14 but I may have missed one. That includes Eddie Lee Ivery who was drafted in the first round. The roster looks fairly solid.

I graduated in 1976 and remember having classes with several including Lucius Sanford and Billy Shields.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/schools/georgiatech/index.htm

The facilities were bad. We still had the Naval Armory/Swimming Center host to the infamous drown proofing.
That was on the AD. Bobby Dodd was the AD until 1976.
If only Pepper had been given the support necessary. This seems to be a common theme at Tech.

How about being attacked for being an abrasive, arrogant ass with stupid opinions that repeatedly doubles down instead of taking the L? Is that OK with you or do you refuse that, too?

It’s absolutely hysterical that you go to “lefty, liberal” as the reason you’re taking fire. You could not possibly be more wrong in that regard.

JRjr
Things to know. I pointed Collins out, in year one. It was nice to see that everyone else finally caught up. With that said, I don't think Key will be a bumble F, like Collins. From what I have seen, he is pretty down to earth. Which honestly, we need. I am highly concerned about his lack of experience and what they will equate to with transfers and recruiting. I think we could of made a better choice and not one wrapped up in emotion.

Look at the players drafted by the NFL between 1974 and 1979 when Pepper was the coach. Looks like the most ever drafted in a five year period. I counted 14 but I may have missed one. That includes Eddie Lee Ivery who was drafted in the first round. The roster looks fairly solid.

I graduated in 1976 and remember having classes with several including Lucius Sanford and Billy Shields.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/schools/georgiatech/index.htm

The facilities were bad. We still had the Naval Armory/Swimming Center host to the infamous drown proofing.
That was on the AD. Bobby Dodd was the AD until 1976.
If only Pepper had been given the support necessary. This seems to be a common theme at Tech.
True Pepper had some decent years, but when he left the roster was worse than it ever was.

I don’t see Weinke jumping up to OC this quick. Goose gets that if he comes here.
Goose would be an interesting OC. I think it would be a more pro set with offset RBs. I could be wrong. But, I think we would see a lot of what we have been asking for. High percentage quick passes, more sustainable running plays and taking chances when they made sense.

Allowed the roster and the facilities to fall so far behind every other school in the area that some high schools had it better than we did.
Pepper had absolutely nothing to do with facilities, other than complaining that they weren't good enough.

As for the roster, his next to last team finished 7-5, went to the Peach Bowl, and included Eddie Lee Ivery, Mike Kelley, Drew Hill, Kent Hill, Al Richardson, Lawrence Lowe, Don Patterson (sons are Eric and Corey, you might have heard of them), Don Bessillieu...all of them played in the NFL.

He went 4-7-1 the next year and was fired because the big money donors that you're all bitching about now didn't like his image. They brought in Curry, who had no resume whatsoever to be a HC. He said in his introductory press conference that he was going to 'bring college football to its knees'. He proceeded to win two game total over his next two years.

Things to know. I pointed Collins out, in year one. It was nice to see that everyone else finally caught up. With that said, I don't think Key will be a bumble F, like Collins. From what I have seen, he is pretty down to earth. Which honestly, we need. I am highly concerned about his lack of experience and what they will equate to with transfers and recruiting. I think we could of made a better choice and not one wrapped up in emotion.
Who is this better choice you think we could have hired?

I don't think anybody is saying that Key is the best coach in football. Many of us feel he is the best coach for where we are right now. I don't see any of the candidates we heard of being any more of a sure thing than Key. You can either look at the positives and enjoy the off season or look at the unknowns and worry about how bad we'll suck next year.

I think he showed enough over the last 8 games to be optimistic that he can right the ship and have a good year next year. Maybe in 10 years we will be saying he is the best coach in football

Rebuilds are usually a bitch (see Bobby Ross). Curry's biggest FU was leaving for GD Alabama of all places and throwing Bobby Dodd under the bus.

New radio analyst: Wes Durham

Key couldn’t take Demetra’s cartoon face and insincere interviews and questions any longer.

Who is this better choice you think we could have hired?

I don't think anybody is saying that Key is the best coach in football. Many of us feel he is the best coach for where we are right now. I don't see any of the candidates we heard of being any more of a sure thing than Key. You can either look at the positives and enjoy the off season or look at the unknowns and worry about how bad we'll suck next year.

I think he showed enough over the last 8 games to be optimistic that he can right the ship and have a good year next year. Maybe in 10 years we will be saying he is the best coach in football
I am hoping for the best, while expecting the worst. Call it whatever you want. I have seen nothing but bad choices, after CPJ left. I guess at some point, statistic wise, you have to make a good choice. Is it Key? I don' know. I am just saying I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about it.

Rebuilds are usually a bitch (see Bobby Ross). Curry's biggest FU was leaving for GD Alabama of all places and throwing Bobby Dodd under the bus.
We have been "rebuilding" for the last 5 years. At some point, you get tired of hearing the word "rebuilding".

I still say our S&C coach makes great videos - but we still seem weak and slow nearly four years into this. Might be time for that guy to move on.
We still a need full time OL coach and who knows, maybe Key will hire an upgrade from himself? That's a low bar, though.
Never been impressed with Long or Weinke. If one has to go, buh bye Chip, I s'pose.
Defense?
To quote that moron Scott whatshisname on the Georgia radio broadcast after Butker's kick in 2014 ... "ugh."
You weren’t impressed with Z. Gibson’s turnaround? That remarkable imo and that’s on weinke.

We have been "rebuilding" for the last 5 years. At some point, you get tired of hearing the word "rebuilding".
It's invalid in this case anyway. Part of the justification for the Key hire was keeping our players and not having to rebuild. You don't get to keep your same team (except the usual attrition) and many of the coaches and call it a rebuild.

Back