Official Coordinators Search And News Thread

Not to be Debbie Downer here but if this guy was hot öööö why has he only been an analyst for the past few years. Seems like another budget hire.
Don’t get me wrong. I hope he kills it. Just don’t necessarily get it.

Not to be Debbie Downer here but if this guy was hot öööö why has he only been an analyst for the past few years. Seems like another budget hire.
I’m guessing Monken was already the OC when he arrived at UGA. Plus, coaches do different jobs all the time. It’s how they become more well rounded in their craft.

Budget hire? Dude was making $250k as an analyst for the dwags. I'm sure leaving G5 OC to go to P5 as an analyst seems a step down, but not when you are going somewhere like that. Analysts at UGAg, Alabama, etc. aren't the same as at GT. Sarkisian was an analyst for a stint at Bama, Muschamp an analyst at UGAg a couple years ago after being a P5 HC... now he's a co-ordinator.

Because usually hot öööö P5 coordinators are looking to propel that hot ööööness into HC gigs. Haven't you been paying attention? Did you really think we were just going to go pluck a Garrett Riley off the coaching tree for a lateral move? I like the hire. Key didn't just pull this one out his a$$. Shows hard work in evaluation and foresight.

A rumor-spreader I know who seems to have been right SOME times in the past told me yesterday Kevin Barbay at Ap State and Buster Faulkner at Southern Miss, with Faulkner the front-runner. Take that for what it might be worth.
LOL You can’t even get your unverified rumors right. Buster Faulkner works for the dwags, been there a couple of years.

Well, I'm sure to some extent it is a budget hire. It should be clear at this point that we are operating on a budget as we ramp up fundraising and get out from under CGC's contract. We're not going to be able to go out and spend $2 million on one of the top coordinators in the country.

That said, even if we had a relatively big budget, we're probably not going to snag a major name for a coordinator position. Only a small handful of top schools are able to do that, because most big names with exciting track records would rather be a HC at a top G5 school or even a bottom P5 school than a coordinator at a middling P5 school (and let's be honest, calling us "middling" right now is generous.)

I mean, most highly successful OCs aren't hired away from places where they have all the resources in the world. It would be foolish to expect us to pull an OC from a top 10 team. What incentive do they have?

Most good OCs are spotted by head coaches with a vision (similar to good, underhyped recruits) and then pulled from the G5 into a P5 coordinator or assistant role.

Case in point - that guy Garrett Riley who's the talk of the town? Was OC/RB coach at SMU (in the G5!) for 2 seasons. Before that, was a position coach with programs like App State and Kansas. (Long before Lance Leipold was making them respectable again).

Faulkner has OC experience at G5 teams, and has been an analyst with the #1 team in the country for 2 years. Which is nothing to overlook (as much as I hate uGA) - even Steve Sarkisian was an analyst at Bama for 2 years. Here's what the dwags had to say about him being hired as an analyst.

I'm thinking this guy is good. Excited to see what he brings to the Flats - hopeful his offense doesn't take too long to learn, and hyped to see what Pyron can do under him.

OC Faulker and OL Wade have known each other for years in the coaching community and worked closely together at MTSU a decade ago as Faulkner was the Blue Raiders' offensive coordinator and Wade their offensive line coach.

Faulkner, from Lilburn, quarterbacked Parkview High to a state championship in 1997 before playing at Valdosta State from 2000-2003.
Faulkner passed for 7,100 yards and 64 touchdowns in three seasons at Valdosta. He transferred as a senior to Texas A&M Commerce, where he passed for 2,861 and 16 touchdowns.

Most good OCs are spotted by head coaches with a vision (similar to good, underhyped recruits) and then pulled from the G5 into a P5 coordinator or assistant role.
Exactly my point. He hasn’t been an OC for a few years. Why be a P5 analyst when you could be a G5 OC and work your way up to a P5 OC position?

Exactly my point. He hasn’t been an OC for a few years. Why be a P5 analyst when you could be a G5 OC and work your way up to a P5 OC position?

Didn't being a P5 analyst just get him a P5 OC position? And I feel like we've seen a lot of other analysts from top P5 schools move into other P5 coordinator or even HC positions. It's almost a running joke with Bama at this point.

Back