OFFICIAL Falcons Playoffs Thread

This. People were talking about Mike Smith getting fired if the Falcons lost again. In my opinion, it would reek of how Marty Shottenheimer got fired in San Diego, when multiple division titles, playoff berths, and an appearance in the '07 AFC Championship game just weren't enough. Now look at the Chargers. Just a friendly warning...

There was a lot more talent on that team. Every team's window closes at some point. Chargers did not do good drafting and hence they fell off in a significant manner. You have to strike while your window is open because it can close in a hurry.

This. People were talking about Mike Smith getting fired if the Falcons lost again. In my opinion, it would reek of how Marty Shottenheimer got fired in San Diego, when multiple division titles, playoff berths, and an appearance in the '07 AFC Championship game just weren't enough. Now look at the Chargers. Just a friendly warning...

Also look at the Eagles with Andy Reid. He had ots of impressive season records and a lot of postseason wins but never the big one.

totally fair point...although i could argue norv turner was a known disaster and if you are able to truly get a better HC you wouldn't be the chargers. It just depends what thomas and arthur believe....i would trade smith for cowher. Not sure I would for gruden...but gruden would come here with ryan as QB....

Also look at the Eagles with Andy Reid. He had ots of impressive season records and a lot of postseason wins but never the big one.

We'll see where they go without him. The point I was making is that I would rather have a guy who I know can at least take us to the door, and hope that he kicks it in, than to fire that guy and hire a new guy who may not even get us to that point. Let me remind everyone that Mike Smith has the most wins in Falcons history, is the first coach to have back to back winning teams here, and we've earned the #1 seed in the NFC twice in the last two years (only ONCE before then, if I'm not mistaken.) It would be short-sighted to get rid of Smitty.

everyone realizes if ATL loses this will go down as the second biggest home loss comeback ever right? Or is it the worst?

Tied for the worst with Det/SF from like 1953, if I read the stat correctly.

JRjr

We'll see where they go without him. The point I was making is that I would rather have a guy who I know can at least take us to the door, and hope that he kicks it in, than to fire that guy and hire a new guy who may not even get us to that point. Let me remind everyone that Mike Smith has the most wins in Falcons history, is the first coach to have back to back winning teams here, and we've earned the #1 seed in the NFC twice in the last two years (only ONCE before then, if I'm not mistaken.) It would be short-sighted to get rid of Smitty.

also has had the best nfl qb of any other atl coach.....no doubt he has done well in the regular season...thats not the point. The point is...he sucks in the playoff.

Back