Official GT Head Coach News Thread

Not in the Portal era you don't. Should be able to get a solid roster together for Year 2 if not Year 1.
The fact that we haven't seen any improvement since the first report of his hire yesterday is really concerning. If we'd hired Deion, the NCAA would have to shut down the portal indefinitely to stop players transferring to Tech. Inside a week, half the country would be enrolled just to be near the hype.

Not in the Portal era you don't. Should be able to get a solid roster together for Year 2 if not Year 1.

7 wins, year 1. With the portal, you are either Chanesque your first year or you are never going to be.

Still want to retain Key and DC Thacker but you won't hear any complaints if the alternative is Clark

Five oldest college head coaches in college football:
Frank Solich - 76 (retired)
Mack Brown - 71
Nick Saban - 71
Butch Davis - 70 (retired)
Kirk Ferenz - 68

Of course, we have seen both Bobby Bowden and Joe Pa coach well into their 80's.

63 years-old isn't young, but if he stays in shape, he's likely got 7-10 years if he wants to hang around that long. That would put him in the ballpark with our longest serving coaches post-Dodd.
Problem is, if you ask him right now, how much longer do you expect to coach? his response will be "I'm an active football coach, and I'm extremely proud to be an active football coach, and I'm very excited about this interview. I don't want to talk about those sorts of things."

For those of you worried about Fritz's recruiting, I think we will be fine. At GS he was an awesome recruiter. From 247 recruiting rankings, Tulane's recruiting has had a very significant bump in recruiting rankings after his 1st year. Tulane's forum is in straight up meltdown mode, but the general consensus there is that he was a great recruiter, great coach and a great person. I did find it interesting that his son started following GT players and recruits (Allegedly. I don't have twitter so I can't verify this.)

In 2020 Fritz's buyout was "extremely low" from what research tells me, but I know he signed a new one then too. I honestly would not be surprised if Fritz had a low buyout throughout his tenure there, even now. I'd even bet he negotiated it that way, like Hugh Freeze negotiated a buyout of $3 million despite signing a new contract.

Fritz has his own cult fans - not because of the offense he runs, but because of the kind of coach he is. As for the offense, I would consider Fritz to be both an offensive and defensive minded coach, but more so offensive. I know at GS he was a big fan of the tackling technique the Seattle Seahawks used. The defense was much better for it. No idea if he still uses that at Tulane. Fritz's offense has historically had multiple option styles. Pretty much a little of everything.

Also, if my opinion is worth a crap- I'd strongly suggest that all of this be with an ample grain of salt because unless everything is finalized and an announcement made, Fritz is still is the HC of Tulane.

You're going to end up with 50% Team Key and 50% Team *Insert new coach here* and 100% Collinsesque performance on the field because of it.
I think he means Key as HC, not on staff.

EDIT: He did.

And to your scenario, normally keeping the interim on staff but back to his original role would likely split folks, but it could work if it's somebody older like Fritz that's the same type hard-nosed, physical, discipline first football coach, and you give Key the AHC role back or some sort of head-coach-in-waiting deal for when Fritz gets ready to hang it up. Just basically bringing someone in with more contacts, more relationships, and more experience to help continue to mold Key to be our coach of the future

And to your scenario, normally keeping the interim on staff but back to his original role would likely split folks, but it could work if it's somebody older like Fritz that's the same type hard-nosed, physical, discipline first football coach, and you give Key the AHC role back or some sort of head-coach-in-waiting deal for when Fritz gets ready to hang it up. Just basically bringing someone in with more contacts, more relationships, and more experience to help continue to mold Key to be our coach of the future

I see that now - I misunderstood. He kept a few folks when he arrived at GS, so it's entirely possible.

I heard a rumor that plays will be called via ST suggestions next year.

1669669725706.png

I also thought he meant keeping Key on as OL coach/AHC.

I just don't see how that would work -- at the first sign of struggles from Fritz there would likely be a mutiny, even if Key himself was throwing his support behind the guy. From fans, donors, and a bunch of players in the locker room who are currently publicly stumping for Key to be HC.

It would be even worse if Key is tagged as HC-in-waiting.

I had this exact same thought. Wasn't sure how improbable it may be, since I guess it is not exactly a routine occurrence in cfb, but given Fritz's age and the weirdness of our carousel ride this time, it seems at least to be a logical possibility.

For those of you worried about Fritz's recruiting, I think we will be fine. At GS he was an awesome recruiter. From 247 recruiting rankings, Tulane's recruiting has had a very significant bump in recruiting rankings after his 1st year. Tulane's forum is in straight up meltdown mode, but the general consensus there is that he was a great recruiter, great coach and a great person. I did find it interesting that his son started following GT players and recruits (Allegedly. I don't have twitter so I can't verify this.)

In 2020 Fritz's buyout was "extremely low" from what research tells me, but I know he signed a new one then too. I honestly would not be surprised if Fritz had a low buyout throughout his tenure there, even now. I'd even bet he negotiated it that way, like Hugh Freeze negotiated a buyout of $3 million despite signing a new contract.

Fritz has his own cult fans - not because of the offense he runs, but because of the kind of coach he is. As for the offense, I would consider Fritz to be both an offensive and defensive minded coach, but more so offensive. I know at GS he was a big fan of the tackling technique the Seattle Seahawks used. The defense was much better for it. No idea if he still uses that at Tulane. Fritz's offense has historically had multiple option styles. Pretty much a little of everything.

Also, if my opinion is worth a crap- I'd strongly suggest that all of this be with an ample grain of salt because unless everything is finalized and an announcement made, Fritz is still is the HC of Tulane.
Grain of salt....no way. People here taking everything and running with it as though their hair is on fire, but wth do I know....I'm just a sidewalk fan.

Back