Official GT Head Coach News Thread

Brian Kelly packed up for LSU at 61. Different caliber coach, but same age variable. Haven't heard a peep (complaint or otherwise) about his age - only early questions were if he'd fit in culturally down on da bayouuuuuu.

Nobody told Key or the staff to stop working I guess.
1669670667146.png

I also thought he meant keeping Key on as OL coach/AHC.

I just don't see how that would work -- at the first sign of struggles from Fritz there would likely be a mutiny, even if Key himself was throwing his support behind the guy. From fans, donors, and a bunch of players in the locker room who are currently publicly stumping for Key to be HC.

It would be even worse if Key is tagged as HC-in-waiting.
People talk about a cluster....! No way can Tech retain Key or any other coach that is on the current staff . Won't work, never will work. That would be like someone being hired to run a company, but the board says we will keep the old president around just in case??

Brian Kelly packed up for LSU at 61. Different caliber coach, but same age variable. Haven't heard a peep (complaint or otherwise) about his age - only early questions were if he'd fit in culturally down on da bayouuuuuu.

I think there is a big difference between a coach leaving one powerhouse P5 program to go to another powerhouse P5 program that expects to win now and a coach that leaves a G5 program to go to a P5 expecting to rebuild from being one of the worst programs in the nation over the past three years.

People talk about a cluster....! No way can Tech retain Key or any other coach that is on the current staff . Won't work, never will work. That would be like someone being hired to run a company, but the board says we will keep the old president around just in case??
Happens all the time where a new coach comes in and retains some of the staff. If Key has no other options I could see him staying if offered.

Back