Official GT Head Coach News Thread

What we have learned so far today:

1. Batt has locked down the flow of information. Critical staff were likely issued burner phones​
2. @PeteThamel is the only one with legitimate sources​
3. There has been contact established with the Fritz camp. He will either will be making more money at Georgia Tech or Tulane next year. Likely his wife has already picked out their next home in The Villages​
4. Chadwell is still in contention but probably not 'above the line'​
5. The biggest surprise is nothing out of the Key camp​
Batt's email account apparently has also been canceled. A Tech friend of min emailed him, and it was returned "address unknown"

None of the leading candidates really excite me. Yes, key was with clown the whole time but so was thacker. We aren't saying make thacker head coach but just about everybody wanted him gone even before clown. I think we all see thacker in a new light and believe he was being held back so why can't we believe Key was being held back. If he couldn't recruit who he wanted or coach like he wanted, the results are not going to be what he wanted. It doesn't stand out as much as the entire defense but the line has looked better even with injuries since he took over.

They all have questions. None of the leading candidates are a sure thing or even close in my opinion. Key with the highest paid offensive coordinator in college football seems to have as high of a ceiling as any of the others. He seems to run a tight ship, players like him hopefully meaning recruits will like him and after seeing him go .500 taking over this dumpster fire a few weeks into the season, I think he wins 7-8+ next year with Pyron and a really good offensive coordinator.

The simple answer to that is the defense got notably better (though still had rough games) while the offense did not. There are possible reasons to say why that isn't on Key or was not something he could do, but at best then it is an unknown.

Does Chadwell not excite you or do you not consider him a leading candidate?
To add a little more, Deion is the only one that would bring excitement. It may not last three games but it would be a fun off season.

All the others are wait and see what we got. They may be great in a couple years or they may not. None of them really stand out to me as being a home run hire.

The simple answer to that is the defense got notably better (though still had rough games) while the offense did not. There are possible reasons to say why that isn't on Key or was not something he could do, but at best then it is an unknown.
I agree with that. But if you factor in the qb issues and everything as a whole. I think it justifies giving him the benefit of the doubt

I know enough to say that it we had 2 years and 4 games of the worse offensive line play I have seen at any level other than intramural flag football.
We had three years of musical transfer portal chairs at OL. This season, they've actually gotten to play and grow together as a unit, most of them having 2+ years in the system. Amazing what consistency can do.

I can’t believe people are still clamoring for “excitement” as the top qualifier for a coaching hire. Winning is exciting. Bowl games are exciting. Conference championship games are exciting. Beating the öööö out of uga is exciting.

You know what’s not exciting? A big mouth coach who dresses like a player running around dropping catch phrases found on motivational posters and getting us to none of the things that are exciting.

I know enough to say that it we had 2 years and 4 games of the worse offensive line play I have seen at any level other than intramural flag football.

I'm only really evaluating him as HC. I thought the OL did okay with him at the top. Again I know nothing about it but the offense did a lot of competent looking passing at the very least. Hearing what I heard about Clown Show's interference with practice and seeing the turnaround in the defense after The Firing, I bet a lot of the improvement was just that guys were allowed to coach like football coaches again. Chaos at the top can be very hard to work around. But again again, I really am speaking out of my ass in the finest fan tradition.

Batt's email account apparently has also been canceled. A Tech friend of min emailed him, and it was returned "address unknown"
Profile is still there but the option to email is not
1669674919600.png

I can’t believe people are still clamoring for “excitement” as the top qualifier for a coaching hire. Winning is exciting. Bowl games are exciting. Conference championship games are exciting. Beating the öööö out of uga is exciting.

You know what’s not exciting? A big mouth coach who dresses like a player running around dropping catch phrases found on motivational posters and getting us to none of the things that are exciting.
Which candidate do you think gives us the best shot for all that? That is who should excite you.

Knowing next to nothing and looking at it from the cheap seats, I would probably go with key but rolling the dice on primetime could be a fun ride

I'm only really evaluating him as HC. I thought the OL did okay with him at the top. Again I know nothing about it but the offense did a lot of competent looking passing at the very least. Hearing what I heard about Clown Show's interference with practice and seeing the turnaround in the defense after The Firing, I bet a lot of the improvement was just that guys were allowed to coach like football coaches again. Chaos at the top can be very hard to work around. But again again, I really am speaking out of my ass in the finest fan tradition.
How many of the games did you watch?!

The offense certainly got better. We went from 13 ppg in our first 4 to 18 ppg in our last 4z Even when we were playing QB 2 QB 3 and QB 4 it was better. Do you realize how had offenses playing QB 2 QB 3 and QB 4 usually perform?

Which candidate do you think gives us the best shot for all that? That is who should excite you.

Knowing next to nothing and looking at it from the cheap seats, I would probably go with key but rolling the dice on primetime could be a fun ride
Key is at the bottom of my list of preferred reasonably likely candidates. I don’t think he has enough experience running a program. Interim experience doesn’t count. I’d prefer he be a coordinator or a HC somewhere else first.

Chadwell is 1. I’m ok with Fritz and think he’s getting a really bad rap from our fans.

Deion is not on my list and I think he’s a disaster in the making for whoever is dumb enough to hire him.

Back