Official GT Head Coach News Thread

The last part is something I've wondered about and how big a role it may of played in any changes after. As you said, it would explain a lot for the teams' performance, but to me maybe weakens the case for Key somewhat. Like, doing that is just what most coaches would consider a normal practice ya?
Yes but Collins was running practice until Key took over, so if his OL is suffering because the HC is doing everything at 1/2 speed at practice, who's fault is it?

I'll say this again, like I said to JTS or somebody in another thread. At this point, it's entirely possible we dont know just how much Key was handcuffed by Collins regarding OL. We have learned that Collins would not let Key sign as many OL as he wanted and rather bring in transfers to patch it up. That creates no depth or cohesiveness. Also, it's been rumored that they never went full speed at practice until Key took over. It doesnt matter how many reps or drills you do at practice, if you never go live, full game speed 1v1, your lines will suffer.
Then it'd be Key's responsibility to push back and say, "hey man, doing this is going to doom us". "I'm going to have to resign if you set me up to fail." It's an apologistic conspiracy theory that Collins had his tentacles in everything and all the OL, recruiting, and in-game coaching failures were his alone. The simpler explanation is that Collins, being a bad football coach, hired bad assistant coaches and they performed poorly.

The Collins I observed delegated a lot to his assistants and didn't do so much football coaching. Assistants were giving press interviews way more than under Paul Johnson, and each assistant (Patenaude, Thacker, etc.) talked way more football than Collins did.

Recruiting is the biggest piece. Yes winning helps recruiting, but winning 7-8 games isn't going to move the needle enough to compete for championships, or more importantly making sure if this thing goes to 2 super conferences that we are in one of them.

Rolling the dice with Deion would be risky, but it would definitely help with the aforementioned issues.

In my opinion keeping this staff together with Key at the helm will definitely will us to more victories than losses, but if he could somehow talk Choice into coming back and don't know if there would be any interest but see if Calvin wanted to help in some capacity with Recruiting then I think we could have what we all want! Choice/K. Watson/C.Johnson making visits could completely make this a great roster. I'll hang up and listen. Thanks

Then it'd be Key's responsibility to push back and say, "hey man, doing this is going to doom us". "I'm going to have to resign if you set me up to fail." It's an apologistic conspiracy theory that Collins had his tentacles in everything and all the OL, recruiting, and in-game coaching failures were his alone. The simpler explanation is that Collins, being a bad football coach, hired bad assistant coaches and they performed poorly.

The Collins I observed delegated a lot to his assistants and didn't do so much football coaching. Assistants were giving press interviews way more than under Paul Johnson, and each assistant (Patenaude, Thacker, etc.) talked way more football than Collins did.
So how did everything get better almost immediately when he was canned? We were blaming assistants and coaches in the 1st four games but now they all seem more than capable.

Profile is still there but the option to email is not
1669674919600.png

You should see the things they said to him on Twitter. It was a deluge. No surprise at all that this happened.

Read somewhere that we would have to pay Tulane $8m to buyout Fritz contract. That's seems like a lot for a coach with no P5 experience and is that old. I'm sure Fritz is a good coach but he excites me the least of any of the names I have seen speculated and if we were to spend that much I would rather give Key the job and the money for a top notch OC. I don't think Key would keep Long.

If we don't go Key I think Clark would be a solid hire if he is still interested in coaching and saw on another board that Riley could be getting an interview as well and that he and Batt spent some time together at ECU. If we are interviewing still I assume Chadwell is out of the picture.
Fritz’s buyout is $8M!? Wow.

With a Fritz hire, we’re starting about $20M (Collins’ + Fritz buyout) in dead money on top of another $15 to $25M commitment for him and the new staff!?

Ya, no way…it’s gotta be down to Key and Clark from a $Texas point of view.

So how did everything get better almost immediately when he was canned? We were blaming assistants and coaches in the 1st four games but now they all seem more than capable.
I don't think it got radically better. We had some good upperclassman defensive talent this year (Charlie Thomas, Eley, White, etc.) and the coaching decisions got a little better. Simply switching to Stewart as kicker (who was supposedly injured) helped us win a couple games. Our schedule also got much easier. Two out of the first three losses were to teams playing in conference championship games, and the third was an 8-win SEC West team. We went 4-4 on the back 8.

So much of my opinion of any hire will rest on the details. I've been clamoring for Chadwell since November 2021, but I'd honestly be ok with almost any of the previously mentioned candidates given the right circumstances. What are we paying? Did we pay to pay off someone's buyout? What's the length of the contract? Are we going to hire an OC or DC that runs something cool and unique? Are we retaining any successful members of the current staff?

Given positive answers to those questions, I feel that Chadwell, Key, Fritz, Clark, or even BoB (meh) could be successful.

Fritz, Chadwell, Clark, Key are all decent options.

Remember that the "chaos" is just people making stuff up or misinformed leaks!

Seems like Battman has everything under lock and Key.

We’ve won 14 games in four years. You really think that’s a big gamble?
I've been all in for Deion for awhile now but yes it's a huge gamble.

Probably even more so now than when were looking at our fourth 3 win or worse season in a row.

Why would GT consider a coach with a $8m buyout like Fritz! we owe Clown Shoes north of $10m and you want to take on $8m more, when we can not hire a top notch coach because of a lack of money. If Batt does that, his time will be short at GT!

Here's a case for Fritz ...

The Chan-like, 7-win, random bowl norm would be fantastic for most Tech fans considering the past several years. How did Chan do that? Focusing on defense. PJ's teams, as much as I love them, didn't go bowling some years because PJ was an offensive genius, but a defensive dunce. Imagine how bad Chan's teams would've been with a PJ-level defense. I lost count of the number of times Reggie was bailed out by Tenuta's defenses (I still love you, Reggie).

Fritz is known for creating great defenses. Barring a great QB, the consistent franchises in football have great defenses (Beamer, Saban, Ravens, Steelers, etc). It's the bedrock on which a competitive team is built. As exciting as Chadwell's offenses are, we don't need another defensive dunce at HC.

Fritz's strength is defense. Perhaps the case for Fritz is that he can, once again, establish GT as being a team that fields a vaunted defense. Sure, it's a 180 from the PJ era, but it's a winning formula that worked in the past.

Back