Official GT Head Coach News Thread

Did the GTAA help structure that contract? Because it looks like the GTAA helped structure that contract.

$8m would be the entirely of his remaining contract, as best I can tell. They don’t release salary figures, but he has a contract through 2026.

Some one earlier was questioning that number. Seems high to me for someone with a $2m salary.
I found a news article that says his contract is until 2027:

Maybe people are doing salary times years left on contract? Surely it doesn't work that way.

If the buyout for Fritz is $8M (and I’ve only seen that here) then no way.

Taking $$ into account, along with all of the information, comments, shutdown threads, we’ve had over the last 24 hrs, I have shuffled my list-

1. Key - A good job as IHC, passion for the program as an alum, players want to play hard for him, he’s young (and granted unproven as a HC), costs would be at a minimum. I’m willing to take a chance.
2. Clark - Success at UAB - 5 bowl games, 3 1st place finishes, 2 2nd, 1 3rd, he wins (49-26).
3. Prime Time - It could be great or could be an utter failure, but it would be exciting.
4. Chadwell - Was my #1 choice, if he is adamant about bringing his entire staff then I will cool on him.
5. Fritz - Good coach that I think could be successful, 24 hrs ago he was top 3, but I do have concerns about his age and this potential $8M buyout.

May change my mind this time tomorrow, but this is where I am right now.

I found a news article that says his contract is until 2027:

Maybe people are doing salary times years left on contract? Surely it doesn't work that way.

Well with 5 years left and a salary in the $2M+ range, it wouldn’t be a 100% buyout. If he’s averaging $2.5M a year over that 5 years then $8M would be a discount.

There are two assumptions being thrown out so far that I feel may be tenuous. Feel free to link to other posted info if I just missed something.

1. Chadwell being turned down due to wanting to bring his staff. Why would we not let a coach choose his staff? That's a pretty standard part of the job. I have a hard time believing that was a determining factor.

2. Frtiz's buyout being $8M. Feels like simple math based on 4 years times $2M. Private school contracts are private. I doubt that it's be the full amount on the employee side. Do we even have other examples of that being the case elsewhere?

Well with 5 years left and a salary in the $2M+ range, it wouldn’t be a 100% buyout. If he’s averaging $2.5M a year over that 5 years then $8M would be a discount.
That makes him an expensive option. Too expensive.

I guess it depends on what "through 2027" means.. it could mean January 2027.

Read the other posts. It has been confirmed, azzhat
You reported that “Batt's email account apparently has also been canceled.” The other person noted that the link to automatically generate an email to him has been removed from his profile on the webpage. Far cry from his email account being “canceled”, dumbass.

There are two assumptions being thrown out so far that I feel may be tenuous. Feel free to link to other posted info if I just missed something.

1. Chadwell being turned down due to wanting to bring his staff. Why would we not let a coach choose his staff? That's a pretty standard part of the job. I have a hard time believing that was a determining factor.

2. Frtiz's buyout being $8M. Feels like simple math based on 4 years times $2M. Private school contracts are private. I doubt that it's be the full amount on the employee side. Do we even have other examples of that being the case elsewhere?

If that is where the number comes from then it is likely wrong. As an example, in our contract with Collins were he to leave us instead of being fired, he would of owed less than the remaining money on the contract. Given the frequency at which coaches leave for other jobs I'm inclined to think it is normal.

I don't know where they got the number, but someone posted somewhere yesterday (maybe the "other site") that the buyout was $8 million. So coupled with the $10 million we owe Collins, that comes to a total of $18 million, we would have to pay. Then add in the salary Tech would pay Fritz, plus a whole bunch of new assistants, and we will NEVER get out of debt.
“Someone posted somewhere.” There you go again. What do you want to bet he doesn’t have an $8 million buyout? Because you’ve posted multiple times that he has an $8 million buyout.

If it is indeed Willie Fritz, his buyout cannot be that bad. Nobody in G5 has a buyout that scares people. When I looked at other AAC coaches that make what Fritz does and similar time frame - their buyouts were actually pretty low - like $3 million ish. Nobody in G5 has an $8 million buyout. Also have a little more faith in Batt - he most assuredly knows what GT's financial limitations are.

Back