Official GT Head Coach News Thread

I'm only really evaluating him as HC. I thought the OL did okay with him at the top. Again I know nothing about it but the offense did a lot of competent looking passing at the very least. Hearing what I heard about Clown Show's interference with practice and seeing the turnaround in the defense after The Firing, I bet a lot of the improvement was just that guys were allowed to coach like football coaches again. Chaos at the top can be very hard to work around. But again again, I really am speaking out of my ass in the finest fan tradition.
I totally agree with this, the improvement was obvious and I'm certain it was the way the practices changed after the firing. The O line was down to freshmen and sophomores for the UGA game

This is a Fritz hire to me

774DE823-0082-400B-9356-EF335F3C9D08.jpeg

He won more than 7 games 1 time at Tulane? Yawn
Your opinion
1669675809316.png

Read somewhere that we would have to pay Tulane $8m to buyout Fritz contract. That's seems like a lot for a coach with no P5 experience and is that old. I'm sure Fritz is a good coach but he excites me the least of any of the names I have seen speculated and if we were to spend that much I would rather give Key the job and the money for a top notch OC. I don't think Key would keep Long.

If we don't go Key I think Clark would be a solid hire if he is still interested in coaching and saw on another board that Riley could be getting an interview as well and that he and Batt spent some time together at ECU. If we are interviewing still I assume Chadwell is out of the picture.

Read somewhere that we would have to pay Tulane $8m to buyout Fritz contract. That's seems like a lot for a coach with no P5 experience and is that old. I'm sure Fritz is a good coach but he excites me the least of any of the names I have seen speculated and if we were to spend that much I would rather give Key the job and the money for a top notch OC. I don't think Key would keep Long.

If we don't go Key I think Clark would be a solid hire if he is still interested in coaching and saw on another board that Riley could be getting an interview as well and that he and Batt spent some time together at ECU. If we are interviewing still I assume Chadwell is out of the picture.

No way, that can't be right

Key is at the bottom of my list of preferred reasonably likely candidates. I don’t think he has enough experience running a program. Interim experience doesn’t count. I’d prefer he be a coordinator or a HC somewhere else first.

Chadwell is 1. I’m ok with Fritz and think he’s getting a really bad rap from our fans.

Deion is not on my list and I think he’s a disaster in the making for whoever is dumb enough to hire him.
I can understand that, don't necessarily agree with it but I can see your point.

I don't think the last 8 games can be ignored. He has ran a P5 program for 8 games more than the others listed. He took over a complete öööö show and went .500 even with the qb issues. I could argue that a lot of good established coaches couldn't take what he inherited and win the games he did.

I'm ok with Chadwell but will he have a bad defense? Can he recruit at the highest level? Can he win at the highest level?

Fritz is a little old for his first P5 job in my opinion. He had a good year this year but last year sucked. Nothing to make me think he'll come in a start beating ga and winning championships.

Deion could kill Tech football or he could sign 15 five stars and have us in the playoffs next year. Big gamble for sure.

How did we learn this today? I don't recall seeing any Chadwell news.
Here, just like everywhere else in the world, the most recent thing you've heard is the most important. People construct narratives out of speculation and rumor to fill the gaps in what we know, so while the natural process requires interviewing candidates days apart and considering them all, what people assume is that if we were going to hire Chadwell, we wouldn't still be interviewing people. So they figure Chadwell is out, and they create a story about how he demanded x and we balked and moved on. The next guy on the interview list gets leaked, and all it takes is one random blue checked douchebag to say "Hearing that it's him" and people figure it's true because, after all, why would anyone lie about something like that? And on the internet, no less.

We can't stop thinking of these things as head-to-head competitions, and we think somebody has already won and it's just being kept secret for reasons we'll all understand when we're older.

How did we learn this today? I don't recall seeing any Chadwell news.

I can understand that, don't necessarily agree with it but I can see your point.

I don't think the last 8 games can be ignored. He has ran a P5 program for 8 games more than the others listed. He took over a complete öööö show and went .500 even with the qb issues. I could argue that a lot of good established coaches couldn't take what he inherited and win the games he did.

I'm ok with Chadwell but will he have a bad defense? Can he recruit at the highest level? Can he win at the highest level?

Fritz is a little old for his first P5 job in my opinion. He had a good year this year but last year sucked. Nothing to make me think he'll come in a start beating ga and winning championships.

Deion could kill Tech football or he could sign 15 five stars and have us in the playoffs next year. Big gamble for sure.
I see a difference in stepping in and being an interim coach for a few games vs being HFC and assembling a staff, overseeing the recruiting apparatus, dealing regularly with the AD and media, and planning for more than just getting through however many games are left. I agree key has done an admirable job at interim, but we all know the job is so much more than managing 8 games.

I’ll also add that Key may knock it out of the park as a head coach. I just don’t think we are in a position to take the risk at this point to see.

I was with you until the last paragraph. FFS, everyone on this board was breathing absolute fire about OL play.
I'll say this again, like I said to JTS or somebody in another thread. At this point, it's entirely possible we dont know just how much Key was handcuffed by Collins regarding OL. We have learned that Collins would not let Key sign as many OL as he wanted and rather bring in transfers to patch it up. That creates no depth or cohesiveness. Also, it's been rumored that they never went full speed at practice until Key took over. It doesnt matter how many reps or drills you do at practice, if you never go live, full game speed 1v1, your lines will suffer.

Me and dad have wanted PrimeTime since the beginning. If it happens I’m buying 4 season Tickets instead of Two
Well that only leaves 25000 plus to sell. Maybe you could up your ante after all you could sell them to Ugag fans who will pay enough to pay for most of the packages. :)

I'll say this again, like I said to JTS or somebody in another thread. At this point, it's entirely possible we dont know just how much Key was handcuffed by Collins regarding OL. We have learned that Collins would not let Key sign as many OL as he wanted and rather bring in transfers to patch it up. That creates no depth or cohesiveness. Also, it's been rumored that they never went full speed at practice until Key took over. It doesnt matter how many reps or drills you do at practice, if you never go live, full game speed 1v1, your lines will suffer.

The last part is something I've wondered about and how big a role it may of played in any changes after. As you said, it would explain a lot for the teams' performance, but to me maybe weakens the case for Key somewhat. Like, doing that is just what most coaches would consider a normal practice ya?

Fritz Internet Defense Force reporting in.

reminder on Key’s wins:
Pitt: Pitt played terribly
Duke: Tech was up but almost blew it. Had to go to OT
VT: They gave the game away with turnovers near the end.
UNC: Slept on us, remember they were up 17-0

I’m also seeing credit on Ugag game.Lol we lost by 23. What a nice game for GT!

we want Fritz!

Fritz Internet Defense Force reporting in.

reminder on Key’s wins:
Pitt: Pitt played terribly
Duke: Tech was up but almost blew it. Had to go to OT
VT: They gave the game away with turnovers near the end.
UNC: Slept on us, remember they were up 17-0

I’m also seeing credit on Ugag game.Lol we lost by 23. What a nice game for GT!

we want Fritz!
I'm not opposed to Fritz, but there is no reason to öööö talk Key. Going 4-3 in the ACC and giving UGA a game after being handed the keys to a broken-down car of a program with a 3rd string QB is admirable.

First, nobody much is beating UGA these days, except Saban and even Saban is not all the time.
Second, no coach at GA Tech has gone over even .400 against UGA since Dodd retired some 56 years ago. Carson's and Ross' 2 of 5 (.400) records are the best over that time.
Third, one coach - only Ross - has won a national championship since Dodd in 1952, now 70 years ago. For ACC championships, Ross (1990), O'Leary (1998 tie), and Johnson (2009 - I'll never give it up) are only three... again, since Dodd back in the early 1950's. Divisions are going away.

Might I suggest a new criterion? Wins. Just win.

That is what the game is about. The beating UGA and championships will come in time if he can do that.

Fritz is 195-114 in his head coaching career of 26 years. He has scaled his program across 4 different universities from small college to FCS to D1. I'd expect him to win at Tech as well.

He may not have the bling a lot of folks are looking for, but he's a darn good coach - better than I thought before I looked into his record yesterday. I'd be excited to see what he could do at Tech.

Back