Official GT Head Coach News Thread

People talk about a cluster....! No way can Tech retain Key or any other coach that is on the current staff . Won't work, never will work. That would be like someone being hired to run a company, but the board says we will keep the old president around just in case??
It isn't a "just in case" though, it's creating a very specific case/scenario. If you think you accidentally found a winner in Key but politics and perception make it unwise/impossible to promote him, find an experienced guy who knows how to run a program and how to turn lemons into 10 wins at ööööing Tulane/Tech, give Key the chance to earn a coach in waiting title by working with/under a veteran who won 10 ööööing games at Tulane.

Or something idk this is not my preferred outcome at all but they are gonna do what they want and it's silly to say it "can't" work because we can't know that.

Happens all the time where a new coach comes in and retains some of the staff. If Key has no other options I could see him staying if offered.
Yeah, but not usually the guy who wanted the full time head job and didn’t get it. That’s a big difference from keeping some position coaches and maybe a coordinator.

I think a 4-3 record down the stretch with wins against the 3 teams ahead of us in the Coastal with this rag tag bunch was enough body of evidence to offer Key after the surprising effort against the dwags. JMO.

There’s a lot of posts on this thread, so if I’ve missed something and am being repetitive, apologies.
I think we all agree Key did a tremendous job as interim HC, giving life, passion, and focus to the team.
What is up for debate is how much is he to blame for the Collins era, as he was here for all of it, or was he constrained by GC’s ineptitude.
Also, there’s much more to being a P5 HC than heart and passion, things that would begin to come out in an interview, things like how you would build recruiting, how would you construct your staff, philosophies of offense and defense, how would you make GT a championship contender and what would you need from the administration to make that happen.
Key earned the interviews, no doubt about that IMO, but we obviously have no idea how those went (or if he actually got them).

It isn't a "just in case" though, it's creating a very specific case/scenario. If you think you accidentally found a winner in Key but politics and perception make it unwise/impossible to promote him, find an experienced guy who knows how to run a program and how to turn lemons into 10 wins at ööööing Tulane/Tech, give Key the chance to earn a coach in waiting title by working with/under a veteran who won 10 ööööing games at Tulane.

Or something idk this is not my preferred outcome at all but they are gonna do what they want and it's silly to say it "can't" work because we can't know that.

So in this scenario:

1) A lot of fans think Key should be the HC
2) A lot of donors think Key should be the HC
3) A lot of players have publicly stated Key should be the HC
4) Key himself obviously thinks he should be HC
5) Batt thinks he has found a winner in Key (what you're saying)

But because of politics and perception you are going to demote him from interim HC so that he can earn the position all those people think he should have right now by working under a new coach with zero P5 experience?

What happens if Fritz is a bust, do you promote Key at that point? Or do you find another coach for him to earn the job from?

I just don't see any sense in keeping Key around if you don't think he's the guy. And if you do think Key is the guy, then I really don't see the sense in demoting him because of "politics and perception" when he's the guy with the most public support behind him.

So in this scenario:

1) A lot of fans think Key should be the HC
2) A lot of donors think Key should be the HC
3) A lot of players have publicly stated Key should be the HC
4) Key himself obviously thinks he should be HC
5) Batt thinks he has found a winner in Key (what you're saying)

But because of politics and perception you are going to demote him from interim HC so that he can earn the position all those people think he should have right now by working under a new coach with zero P5 experience?

What happens if Fritz is a bust, do you promote Key at that point? Or do you find another coach for him to earn the job from?

I just don't see any sense in keeping Key around if you don't think he's the guy. And if you do think Key is the guy, then I really don't see the sense in demoting him because of "politics and perception" when he's the guy with the most public support behind him.
Again, I'm not endorsing this, neither of them are my first or second choice. But the stuff with Key is not something they announce or have to plan explicitly. You just retain him for continuity and everyone else moves on and forgets. If Key sucks, you fire him. If Fritz sucks, you fire him and Key. I don't know, I haven't thought about any of this as a likely outcome and I don't have a point to make. It just does not strike me as totally impossible or outrageous.

What we have learned so far today:

1. Batt has locked down the flow of information. Critical staff were likely issued burner phones​
2. @PeteThamel is the only one with legitimate sources​
3. There has been contact established with the Fritz camp. He will either will be making more money at Georgia Tech or Tulane next year. Likely his wife has already picked out their next home in The Villages​
4. Chadwell is still in contention but probably not 'above the line'​
5. The biggest surprise is nothing out of the Key camp​

There’s a lot of posts on this thread, so if I’ve missed something and am being repetitive, apologies.
I think we all agree Key did a tremendous job as interim HC, giving life, passion, and focus to the team.
What is up for debate is how much is he to blame for the Collins era, as he was here for all of it, or was he constrained by GC’s ineptitude.
Also, there’s much more to being a P5 HC than heart and passion, things that would begin to come out in an interview, things like how you would build recruiting, how would you construct your staff, philosophies of offense and defense, how would you make GT a championship contender and what would you need from the administration to make that happen.
Key earned the interviews, no doubt about that IMO, but we obviously have no idea how those went (or if he actually got them).

I'm just a simple GT football forum moderator, but I know that what has been the most frustrating thing to watch about tech football in the last few years is how the guys look like they have never been told what to do in some very common situations, and coaches who follow that up by looking like they've never even thought about it. To hell with all that deep thinking stuff, IMO. Give me a guy who can teach blocking and tackling, knows when and how to take a time out, punt, and field goal, can get kids to keep their heads in the game, and let's go from there. We can get some very good seasons with basic competence and middle of the pack recruiting, most of our opponents are neurotic clowns, we play in the ACC for crying out loud.

Key checks every box for me as HC. Saw everything I wanted to see. I won't be sad if we pick him, but I'll be bonus mad if we hire a dud after we pass on him.

Deductive reasoning when the sources that he was out have proved to be fake news.

But why does OP say we learned Chadwell is "probably not 'above the line'"? That's the part that caught my eye.

Where did you see this?
Based upon the comments made here that 1) a negotiation sticking point is bringing all of his staff 2) holding out for a perceived better job e.g. WVU 3) momentum favoring Fritz. However, this is all unconfirmed speculation and I recommend you do your own fact-checking.

None of the leading candidates really excite me. Yes, key was with clown the whole time but so was thacker. We aren't saying make thacker head coach but just about everybody wanted him gone even before clown. I think we all see thacker in a new light and believe he was being held back so why can't we believe Key was being held back. If he couldn't recruit who he wanted or coach like he wanted, the results are not going to be what he wanted. It doesn't stand out as much as the entire defense but the line has looked better even with injuries since he took over.

They all have questions. None of the leading candidates are a sure thing or even close in my opinion. Key with the highest paid offensive coordinator in college football seems to have as high of a ceiling as any of the others. He seems to run a tight ship, players like him hopefully meaning recruits will like him and after seeing him go .500 taking over this dumpster fire a few weeks into the season, I think he wins 7-8+ next year with Pyron and a really good offensive coordinator.

None of the leading candidates really excite me. Yes, key was with clown the whole time but so was thacker. We aren't saying make thacker head coach but just about everybody wanted him gone even before clown. I think we all see thacker in a new light and believe he was being held back so why can't we believe Key was being held back. If he couldn't recruit who he wanted or coach like he wanted, the results are not going to be what he wanted. It doesn't stand out as much as the entire defense but the line has looked better even with injuries since he took over.

They all have questions. None of the leading candidates are a sure thing or even close in my opinion. Key with the highest paid offensive coordinator in college football seems to have as high of a ceiling as any of the others. He seems to run a tight ship, players like him hopefully meaning recruits will like him and after seeing him go .500 taking over this dumpster fire a few weeks into the season, I think he wins 7-8+ next year with Pyron and a really good offensive coordinator.

Does Chadwell not excite you or do you not consider him a leading candidate?

...Needs to be a white out. Someone bring special hoods in case it rains.

Now that truly had me burst out laughing. Good one!

I'm just a simple GT football forum moderator, but I know that what has been the most frustrating thing to watch about tech football in the last few years is how the guys look like they have never been told what to do in some very common situations, and coaches who follow that up by looking like they've never even thought about it. To hell with all that deep thinking stuff, IMO. Give me a guy who can teach blocking and tackling, knows when and how to take a time out, punt, and field goal, can get kids to keep their heads in the game, and let's go from there. We can get some very good seasons with basic competence and middle of the pack recruiting, most of our opponents are neurotic clowns, we play in the ACC for crying out loud.

Key checks every box for me as HC. Saw everything I wanted to see. I won't be sad if we pick him, but I'll be bonus mad if we hire a dud after we pass on him.
I was with you until the last paragraph. FFS, everyone on this board was breathing absolute fire about OL play.

I saw that AD Batt's area of expertise at Alabama was more centered on sports other than FB. Is this his first time selecting a head FB coach? It would be understandable to me if he thought he should make his mark at Tech by bringing in somebody from the outside. But, in this case, he would be making a mistake to do that, in my opinion. Key has done a great job. I think he should get the job. I think it would be a unifying thing for Tech and create some optimism. Plus, if Key got the job and did well, he could be here for 20 years. With Key as HC, I would not feel like we were facing another total rebuild with an unknown quantity. I hope the decision to hire somebody else has not been made. I haven't heard anybody say anything in favor of hiring Fritz. Somebody shrugged sadly and said, "Well, that tells you everything you need to know about Georgia Tech." I hope President Cabrera steps in tells Batt to hire Key. Of course, if the decision is to hire Fritz, I hope he will be successful. I will support anybody who's selected. But, I think it would be a big mistake to hire Fritz and a great move to hire Key.

Back