Official GT Head Coach News Thread

I have a few friends who are Southern boosters and fairly connected. They all liked Fritz a lot and said he would be great for us.
They're even talking about how Tech is mangling this search on the Ga Southern fan board. Good Lord.

Yeah, I’ve been looking for any information on the buyout, including combing through ‘Ye Olde Green Wave’ football forum for any information, but haven’t found anything.
I don't know where they got the number, but someone posted somewhere yesterday (maybe the "other site") that the buyout was $8 million. So coupled with the $10 million we owe Collins, that comes to a total of $18 million, we would have to pay. Then add in the salary Tech would pay Fritz, plus a whole bunch of new assistants, and we will NEVER get out of debt.

Bill Clark would be a boss pick. The miracle he pulled off at UAB...there's your wow factor!!
I think he is something special. I can't speak to whether he's actually ready to return, or his interest in Tech, but 20 years from now he will be a legend at UAB and whichever school has the sense to hire and properly support him. I want that guy here yesterday.

Also the portal was a lot less of a big deal back then, both in terms of the talent available as well as how many players might leave your program during a coaching change
There was no portal back then and only one NSD in February. It is a lot more important now for a coach to start as early as possible.

I guess this was a joke, but seems odd in its execution... As seen on FTRS.com

1669665934565.png

Willie Fritz's Wikipedia article doesn't seem to have been updated since 2016 lol.
If he was 5 years younger, I would be fine with it. 10 years and I would be excited. I think Chadwell might be better but not sure.

He is likely a better coach than Key and we know Key is much better than Collins. I’m worried about his recruiting and retaining players

I'm interested in what kind of offense Fritz would run here. The first few years at Tulane, he ran an offense very similar to what he ran at GA Southern. This season he brought in a new OC and theirs offense looks more like a basic RPO as opposed to an option style. This article was from a few years ago but is a good breakdown of what they used to run and honestly what I would like to see us run here.

giphy.gif

If he was 5 years younger, I would be fine with it. 10 years and I would be excited. I think Chadwell might be better but not sure.

He is likely a better coach than Key and we know Key is much better than Collins. I’m worried about his recruiting and retaining players
[/QUOTE
If you aren't going Key route then this is why I think the Clark rumor is much better option for the team. He's younger, apparently loved by his former players and fans, he's proven ability to work in the Transfer world and hopefully do decent job in recruiting. If your gonna not keep Key and lose Thacker as DC then Bill Clark is a proven Defensive guy just needs to find him a good OC.

May be nothing and may have always been this way but Key's Twitter profile seems odd that it says "Ball Coach" and "Sports Team".
Screenshot_20221128-151007~2.png

Generally speaking when you hire a coach, you want to give them 4 years to recruit their own players and you would like to think that if things turn out well they will stay with you for 10 years or so. 4 years from now Fritz will be 66 years old. Going into 2022, there were only 5 HC's in all of FBS that were 66+ years old. In 10 years, Fritz will be 72 and there are no coaches that entered into 2022 that old.

Fritz has very few recruiting ties to GA. He coached at Ga Southern for 2 years (did a great job). He has never recruited at the Power 5 level and GT requires coaches to work hard at recruiting. Does 62 year old that has never shown himself to be a great recruiter have the energy to start from scratch at GT?

He also has very few accomplishments for a guy who is 62 years old. Clay Helton (current Ga Southern / former Southern Cal HC) is 50 years old, has a 52-30 record, won a PAC-12 Title and 3 PAC-12 Division Titles, won a Rose Bowl, and is currently making ~$800K per year. Fritz is 58-52 at the FBS level. I'm not saying we should hire Clay Helton. What I am saying is that there are tons of coaches out there that have comparable or better accomplishments than Willie Fritz that aren't 62 year old. Paul Chryst, Brian Harsin, Curt Cignetti, Jeff Tedford (amazingly younger than Fritz).....Fritz has a very unremarkable record, no upside, and one foot already into retirement.

Generally speaking when you hire a coach, you want to give them 4 years to recruit their own players

Not in the Portal era you don't. Should be able to get a solid roster together for Year 2 if not Year 1.

Five oldest college head coaches in college football:
Frank Solich - 76 (retired)
Mack Brown - 71
Nick Saban - 71
Butch Davis - 70 (retired)
Kirk Ferenz - 68

Of course, we have seen both Bobby Bowden and Joe Pa coach well into their 80's.

63 years-old isn't young, but if he stays in shape, he's likely got 7-10 years if he wants to hang around that long. That would put him in the ballpark with our longest serving coaches post-Dodd.

Back