Official GT Head Coach News Thread

I’ll support whoever is hired. My only takeaway is this - COLLINS IS GONE!!!! That is the most important part of any discussion.
I can't believe he sold his house and bought a new one in the offseason. The team is in shambles, most of our good players transferred out, his seat is on fire, and the clown is out upgrading his house.

That would be a fantastic hire if he’s healthy.
He did have successfully spinal fusion surgery after he retired this past summer he did resurrect the UAB program and done wonders thru recruiting Junior College Transfers and apparently was well liked by many. I have no idea on how he is recruiting, gameplans, strengths, etc but it's a interesting name

Found this over on the Tulane board. This is a summary of an interview with their beat writer and ESPN's Gus Kattengall

Cliffs Notes on Guerry Smith's interview with Gus Kattengel this afternoon on ESPN Nola:

GT is a job that pays more money

CWF is the most stand up guyWill likely get $4mm at GT

AAC getting worse next season, competition level won't be the same

the money is the difference maker, follow the money

2.3mm-2.5mm is AAC salaries

kattengel says counteroffer likely

Kattnegel brought up Tulane facilities

Guerry agrees that facility upgrades is a must

Guerry feels he will make decision beyond just money

Guerry points out New Orleans isn't a place for everyone

If he wants a p5 job at his age, this is the last window to do that

It's definitively a tougher job, playing teams like Georgia every year

We will find out quickly after the championship game his decision.

Regardless they have established a culture that we will be competing for championship title regardless of the AAC composition moving forward

We have some great players coming back, but there will definitely be a step down in talent level

Guerry was surprised that the first UCF game didn't sell out, and pleasantly surprised that people got the message for the conference game

Sellout should have happened the first matchup

If GT had insisted he leave right away, he would have turned down the job. Guerry says CWF feels that strongly about the championship game.

..... So we wait til Saturday to learn our fate and stew on this for 5 more days.

https://www.yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56670&start=275

The folks I know in Statesboro who dealt with Fritz said glowing things about him.
He is a pretty good coach and he came into a tough situation at Tulane, which had been moribund for a generation. If sticking around to coach the championship game is a must for him, and then he should be given that latitude.
Didn't PJ start at Tech after the Army-Navy game that year?

Here's a fromtherumbleseat article on him

Long Story short
- His track record speaks well of being able to pivot a program in right direction pretty quickly.
- Apparently really good at working the Transfer Portals
- Turned UAB Defense into a very good unit that seen them competing and give fits to "better" teams...Likes running 4-2-5 and high safties and more man then zone
- Player Development was superior under him I do recall several UAB defense players being drafted in recent years
- Not much to do on Offense think he will need to target a good OC to handle that side of the ball... He's got some talent on offense there just needs someone to run it
-Health is a concern and recruiting ability can he recruit HS like he works the Transfer Portal?

Honestly I still prefer Key but I would prefer Clark much more over Fritz he's younger he's actually faced worse circumstance and actually did more and quicker then fritz. I believe players would respond well to him as more so then Fritz.

I said at the beginning that Clark is a guy that you call if he is interested in coming back to coaching. Would have talked to him before Fritz, though I am okay with him, too.

Oops quoted post from above didn't get attached. I obviously made an error.

CPJ attended our bowl game in Boise (?) Which Tenuta coached.

The folks I know in Statesboro who dealt with Fritz said glowing things about him.
He is a pretty good coach and he came into a tough situation at Tulane, which had been moribund for a generation. If sticking around to coach the championship game is a must for him, and then he should be given that latitude.
I have a few friends who are Southern boosters and fairly connected. They all liked Fritz a lot and said he would be great for us.

Willie Fritz's Wikipedia article doesn't seem to have been updated since 2016 lol.

Yep. but that was back when Army Navy was on the same day as the conference championship games. It's now been moved to the second Saturday in December. With the early signing period now, there's no way an Army or Navy coach would be able to stay on through the Army/Navy game before moving on to a new HC position.

Yep. but that was back when Army Navy was on the same day as the conference championship games. It's now been moved to the second Saturday in December. With the early signing period now, there's no way an Army or Navy coach would be able to stay on through the Army/Navy game before moving on to a new HC position.

Also the portal was a lot less of a big deal back then, both in terms of the talent available as well as how many players might leave your program during a coaching change

Back