Official GT Head Coach News Thread

This is definitely different than what we have been hearing. According to this, the players advocated for Key. J Batt wanted Fritz/BOB and the donors wanted Chadwell. Apparently, the players threatening to leave won out.

That’s horse öööö….you don’t leave the decision up to a bunch of crybabies threatening the portal because they might have to compete for playing time under a new regime

He got CRUSHED at home by Miami, lost at home to UVA, and nearly lost to Vippie Sue. Boatraced by F$U and ugag. That should have been disqualifying right there.
Miami and UVA both saw the starter Qb get injured. We were in those games until that happened. FSU and UGA boatraced as bunch of teams this year.

This all just SCREAMS a no-confidence loser amateur AD.

If you have ANY ööööing confidence in your ability to identify talent, why in the hell would you be reluctant to guarantee money??? Y
Probably because we have one of the lowest P5 AA budgets out there? Batt and Cabrera are all-in regarding fund-raising and getting more money to the AA, but it can't be done overnight or instantly. We aren't flush with cash right now to throw it at a coach that may or may not pan out.

That’s horse öööö….you don’t leave the decision up to a bunch of crybabies threatening the portal because they might have to compete for playing time under a new regime
100% agree with this. There's always more players...

If you have ANY ööööing confidence in your ability to identify talent, why in the hell would you be reluctant to guarantee money??? You should be more worried about locking in a large buyout so when everyone else comes to try to steal the hot HC that you identified and hired before everyone else, you'll either get to keep him or get paid. It's like insisting on a low prenup. You're essentially saying "I know I'm ööööing up this decision, so I want to limit my damages."

What an embarrassment. Really, really, hard to stay a fan of this loser bullshit.

We are in this mess because our last joke of an AD guaranteed a bunch of money to someone a lot of people here were excited about. Batt is here, at least partially, to fix our money mess. Avoiding giving a contract we can't afford if things go south is his #1 job.

This is definitely different than what we have been hearing. According to this, the players advocated for Key. J Batt wanted Fritz/BOB and the donors wanted Chadwell. Apparently, the players threatening to leave won out.
My sources say it was Chadwell first, then Fritz and the donors wanted Key and forced Batt's hand after both Chadwell and Fritz backed out.
Now, did those who favored Key leak the Fritz story to poison the well? Maybe. My sources have not said that.
But the ultimate sources for what I've posted are folks close to Key and I will leave it at that.

If you have ANY ööööing confidence in your ability to identify talent, why in the hell would you be reluctant to guarantee money??? You should be more worried about locking in a large buyout so when everyone else comes to try to steal the hot HC that you identified and hired before everyone else, you'll either get to keep him or get paid. It's like insisting on a low prenup. You're essentially saying "I know I'm ööööing up this decision, so I want to limit my damages."

What an embarrassment. Really, really, hard to stay a fan of this loser bullshit.
Please leave. You can't pull money out of thin air. Key is a smart compromise b/c we don't have enough money to hire a big name. No one is saying Key is the next big thing. Key is a bridge to get us out of the financial hole, with the side benefit that the players like him and he's better than Collins.

That's exactly how Texas A&M got Jimbo Fisher. It turns out that even if you're confident in your ability to identify talent, it's easy to get it wrong.

Thus, if your AA is already struggling financially, it's smart to go for a serviceable hire you can afford than to mortgage everything going for broke with a home run hire who might not work out. Then you take a few years, get your finances in order, and if Key doesn't work out you're in a position where you can afford to take a risk on a bigger name who needs a lot of guaranteed money.

No one is saying never take a risk on guaranteeing money for a big name coach ever again. They're just saying don't do it while your AA is already on financial life support.

100% agree with this. There's always more players...
This put a nasty thought in my head. Hopefully Key learned from watching Collins' bungling not to be overly loyal to older players, especially if he owes his hiring to them liking him.

My preference would have been to take a huge swing like Deion, but I know you weren't a fan of that possibility either.

I don't know, I don't see Chadwell or Fritz as being significantly better options.
did they interview deion??

Money may have figured somewhat into the decision, but I believe he main reason for deciding on Key was the way the team responded for the weeks he was interim. I might regret this a few years from now, but I really feel Coach Key is going to do a great job leading our program. I'm looking forward to what is in store for GT. As always THWG!

Hope 5 years from now we can look back on 3 wins in a row against the mutts and be thankful things worked out a second time with an interim.

Back