Official GT Head Coach News Thread

If that's the case, then why TF did we pay that third party search firm one red cent? I'm a dumb a$$ and I could have given you that list in 3 seconds after we fired the clown.

The search firm isn't actually for identifying candidates, it's for running the logistics, doing background checks, making sure all rules and regulations are complied with, etc.

Apparently ESPN has announced Key as coach. Time to fire most of the staff and let's get started winning some real games.

I don't mind the hire. He can build on what happened this season and we don't have to start from scratch. Key will be much improved from this year to next. The team will be older and more experienced. Recruiting, including the portal, will be seamless with targets remaining in place. Hopefully more money and resources for staff upgrades including a ST coach.

I was excited about Fritz but he would have to start from scratch here at 62 and we would face another complete rebuild. Key might not have been my first choice but I think he is a good choice. I think he could end up being a great choice. I'm on board. Give Key the keys and all the money he needs to do the job right.

First order of business is save recruiting and maybe bring back some of these kids from the portal. Get it all done ASAP. Let's go!

Good luck, Coach Key! I wanted Garret Riley. It seems he was never in play so I am happy to move on. I think Deion would have been an amazing hire with a huge potential upside. Again, for whatever reason, that did not seem to materialize. Fritz has been a good coach in several places. His age was a bit of a concern. But, I would have supported him. Chadwell was not big on my list, but if he had been the choice, you get on board.

For those who are disappointed, get over it. We need to be as positive as we can as we start a new era. And, remember this the next time you have a coach who needs to be replaced. Don’t fire in mid-season. You run the risk of this happening. If Collins had been fired Sunday, no one would have been clamoring for his O-line coach to get the job. This is the risk you run in interim - they do a decent job, win friends among donors, fans and media and earn the respect of players. When donors are upset after four games you talk them off the ledge and promise them there will be a house cleaning at the end of the year, but you don’t want to give a member of the current staff the chance to be interim and try and leverage the job. They will understand.

I hope Key stays 30 years and wins multiple championships. Go Jackets!

I'm wondering if JBatt and Cabrera were leaning towards Key all along, but conducted the other interviews to show they were doing their due diligence and not just settling for the status quo? I like the hire. He inherited quite a mess and the entire demeanor of the team changed once he took over. The players strongly support him, and I think that is huge. Had Key not been hired, I think we would have quickly seen many of the current players leaving.

I'm hearing the deciding factor in Key getting the job was just how much it would piss off @jts1207, whose butthurt is literally the only thing still fueling the Tech AA.

Iiwii…..a typical meh GT hire

was hoping for an exciting hire that would move the needle but instead we spent millions to fire someone only to spend millions to hire part of the original problem

but hey he played here and we were gonna lose a few of our stellar athletes to the portal lol

times are changing and we are happy with mediocrity at best

I'm wondering if JBatt and Cabrera were leaning towards Key all along, but conducted the other interviews to show they were doing their due diligence and not just settling for the status quo? I like the hire. He inherited quite a mess and the entire demeanor of the team changed once he took over. The players strongly support him, and I think that is huge. Had Key not been hired, I think we would have quickly seen many of the current players leaving.

He inherited a mess he helped create….let’s not forget that

I’d instantly become a bigger Key fan if he replaced Long as OC as one of his first moves. And found a freaking punter!

Iiwii…..a typical meh GT hire

was hoping for an exciting hire that would move the needle but instead we spent millions to fire someone only to spend millions to hire part of the original problem

but hey he played here and we were gonna lose a few of our stellar athletes to the portal lol

times are changing and we are happy with mediocrity at best

I'm not going to pretend like he turned us into some sort of powerhouse overnight. There were a couple of real duds in his time as interim. But not sure how anyone could watch how inept we looked over the 38 games under Collins, then watch the eight games under Key, and not see a difference.

For those who are disappointed, get over it. We need to be as positive as we can as we start a new era. And, remember this the next time you have a coach who needs to be replaced. Don’t fire in mid-season. You run the risk of this happening. If Collins had been fired Sunday, no one would have been clamoring for his O-line coach to get the job. This is the risk you run in interim - they do a decent job, win friends among donors, fans and media and earn the respect of players. When donors are upset after four games you talk them off the ledge and promise them there will be a house cleaning at the end of the year, but you don’t want to give a member of the current staff the chance to be interim and try and leverage the job. They will understand.
Counterpoint:

5 wins > 3 wins

I thought that too. I think the more likely scenario is that they kept Key in their back pocket while they searched around to see if they could find a good coach with the budget they had, but the finances just weren't there. Key is the best scenario going because he has shown he can do good things, doesn't have a buyout, and probably getting less pay than coaches we've had in the past.

Back