Official GT Head Coach News Thread

Tech interviewed 10 to 12 candidates, according to sources, a group that included Tulane coach Willie Fritz. Tech struggled to lure a big outside name because of the school's reluctance to guarantee large portions of the contract, as the amount of guaranteed money was a non-starter for some candidates.

I like the Batt approach to contracts!

Tech interviewed 10 to 12 candidates, according to sources, a group that included Tulane coach Willie Fritz. Tech struggled to lure a big outside name because of the school's reluctance to guarantee large portions of the contract, as the amount of guaranteed money was a non-starter for some candidates.

I read that as we can't afford anyone else, plus Brent Key is the only one who actually wants the job.

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

I'm taking cases on all you bitches slobbering over the Key hire (who, FTR, I told you definitively several days ago it would be). I don't want to read one ööööing word from ANY of you the next four years about how we need to replace Key. At that point, you will just need to enjoy a big cup of STFU.

You're the most obnoxious person on this board and that's saying a lot. Nobody cares about your "cases". You enjoy your own cup of STFU already.

If it turns out to be Key...

Positives:
  • He actually looks and acts like a football coach, a notable change from the previous regime.
  • He should be (although you never know with GT) an inexpensive hire, allowing us to hopefully spend the next couple of years digging ourselves out of a financial hole, allowing more flexibility if he doesn't work out.
  • While I don't love the "Tech Man" rationale, I do appreciate having a guy that loves GT at the helm. (This is a plus if he turns out to be competent, but shouldn't be a deciding factor in his hiring, IMHO.)
  • He got some nice wins under adverse circumstances during his tenure.
Negatives:
  • The association with the"stink" of the previous regime remains. We'll see how much he beats it out of the players and cleans it out of the staff.
  • Not a lot of experience, and performance in higher roles at other schools (e.g., UCF OC) has been mixed.
  • Feels like a letdown/last resort when we were hoping for some kind of splash. The extent to which this is true will likely never be known, as it depends on who else we tried to hire and why it didn't work out.
  • He had some bad losses (admittedly under adverse circumstances) during his tenure.
  • There was a lot of luck involved in his wins (turnovers, critical drops), things that are not predictable or sustainable. While a competent team makes some of its own luck, regression to the mean would say that we'd lose most of those wins next year, all else being equal.
Overall, not too exciting, but maybe an opportunity to upgrade some assistants, right the ship (I'd expect a bowl game next year with games against TBD cupcake, Bowling Green, BC, Syracuse, @UVA, Louisville, @Wake, @Miami, UNC), and allow us to get our finances straight.

JRjr

I read that as we can't afford anyone else, plus Brent Key is the only one who actually wants the job.

GO JACKETS!!
byteback
I doubt the only coach out there who would take millions of dollars to be head coach at a P5 school is Brent Key. What about Bill Clark?

Positives:
  • He actually looks and acts like a football coach, a notable change from the previous regime.
  • He should be (although you never know with GT) an inexpensive hire, allowing us to hopefully spend the next couple of years digging ourselves out of a financial hole, allowing more flexibility if he doesn't work out.
  • While I don't love the "Tech Man" rationale, I do appreciate having a guy that loves GT at the helm. (This is a plus if he turns out to be competent, but shouldn't be a deciding factor in his hiring, IMHO.)
Negatives:
  • The association with the"stink" of the previous regime remains. We'll see how much he beats it out of the players and cleans it out of the staff.
  • Not a lot of experience, and performance in higher roles at other schools (e.g., UCF OC) has been mixed.
  • Feels like a letdown/last resort when we were hoping for some kind of splash. The extent to which this is true will likely never be known, as it depends on who else we tried to hire and why it didn't work out.
  • He had some bad losses (admittedly under adverse circumstances) during his tenure.
  • There was a lot of luck involved in his wins (turnovers, critical drops), things that are not predictable or sustainable. While a competent team makes some of its own luck, regression to the mean would say that we'd lose most of those wins next year, all else being equal.
Overall, not too exciting, but maybe an opportunity to upgrade some assistants, right the ship (I'd expect a bowl game next year with games against TBD cupcake, Bowling Green, BC, Syracuse, @UVA, Louisville, @Wake, @Miami, UNC), and allow us to get our finances straight.

JRjr

Stopped reading after your first point. He looks like a unprofessional idiot in his BB wannabe cutoff

Positives:
Negatives:

JRjr
My advice. Keep Thacker and the defensive staff. Tell Chip Long thanks but no thanks. Bring in a good OC and let him revamp the offensive staff.

I like this decision. Next question... who does CBK retain amongst his coordinator's? What about going after Tulane's CURRENT OC who has had a little more success than Tulane's PREVIOUS OC? I like the irony of that scenario. :)

MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN it's huge if Key knows and is willing to clean house of those who don't carry weight. I think that's a huge part of the attractiveness of Key ... he's seen the öööö show from a front row seat and knows what is wrong and who needs to go.

GO JACKETS!!
byteback
We couldn't afford BoB who was option A. Option B we didn't agree to terms with. Key was around option C or D, and I think it's fairly obvious who the other of those 2 options was.

Back