Official GT Head Coach News Thread

I know a lot of people won't like it but this is the right move...depending on the contract. This needs to be a contract where we can easily get out of it in two or three years, and then Batt needs to get our finances in order over that period of time in case Key doesn't work out.

We were unlikely to be able to afford any coach right now would be close enough to a sure thing to justify another huge contract.

I know a lot of people won't like it but this is the right move...depending on the contract. This needs to be a contract where we can easily get out of it in two or three years, and then Batt needs to get our finances in order over that period of time in case Key doesn't work out.

We were unlikely to be able to afford any coach right now would be close enough to a sure thing to justify another huge contract.

5 years, 21.33M. I have a really good source on this one.

Hey folks. As a brand new member I have a question... What is driving Batt's (seemingly) aversion to Brent Key. I understand the lack of head coaching experience but sometimes a new head coach should come from within. The GT administration placed a dumpster fire in CBK's lap and all he did was never complain, got the kids motivated, fixed some all-to-obvious flaws in game day preparation and win a few games that we might not have won otherwise. Most importantly he was able to land a couple of top level recruits while all this was going on because he bleeds gold and white and sells Georgia Tech. Thoughts?
Literally NO ONE ELSE in FBS (or FCS AFAIK) has ANY interest in hiring Key as their HC.

So why would YOU want him????????

Hiring him would be a LOSER move. if it happens, I'll support him as our coach. But I'm also confident that we'll be RIGHT back here in four years discussing the latest rumors of who our NEXT HC will be.

Hey folks. As a brand new member I have a question... What is driving Batt's (seemingly) aversion to Brent Key. I understand the lack of head coaching experience but sometimes a new head coach should come from within. The GT administration placed a dumpster fire in CBK's lap and all he did was never complain, got the kids motivated, fixed some all-to-obvious flaws in game day preparation and win a few games that we might not have won otherwise. Most importantly he was able to land a couple of top level recruits while all this was going on because he bleeds gold and white and sells Georgia Tech. Thoughts?
He got a job promotion, and felt like he needed to show off and prove himself by choosing a different staff, even though he just made a good safe call. He should be able to negotiate the best contract for Georgia Tech in terms of cost, buy out, and commitment if Key does not work out. No one is going to fault Batt for giving Key the HC job. Key breathed CPR into a football program that was completely dead by the third game of the season. We beat 2 ranked teams and played the best team in the country tight well into the third quarter. Go Jackets! I’m glad to have Key as our HC!

Exactly. I hope we're smart about the contract.

If done correctly, it's a low risk move that positions us for a quality hire in 3 years if Key can't get something going.

Hope the boosters will be happy. I just keep coming back to this question: if he hadn't gone to Tech, would we have even considered him?

Mixed feelings. I liked Key when everyone else didn't. But, I also wanted a shiny and new head coach.

I like this decision. Next question... who does CBK retain amongst his coordinator's? What about going after Tulane's CURRENT OC who has had a little more success than Tulane's PREVIOUS OC? I like the irony of that scenario. :)

Back