*OFFICIAL* National Signing Day Thread

Johnson tells Buck and Kincade:

"We're not going to get the guys who are only concerned about football."
So true. If you only cared about football then go to a school that worships you, not to a school were a bunch of nerds look down their nose at you because you are not as smart as them.

If it did, then I'm off his train. This kind of scholarship management is going to put us at a long term disadvantage, even moreso than we already are. We already take fewer scholarships in a 4 year period than most of the perennial top 25 teams do, and with the Saban system coming to UGA I'm sure they'll be on top of those numbers too. We don't need to be slowing down, we need to be speeding up.

Beyond that, it's absolute farce to believe that you can control the number of scholarship seniors on this team over the long term without repeatedly performing this kind of 'balancing'. People quit, people get injured, people used to leave for the NFL every now and again. Watch when the class of 17 or 18 guys we signed turns out to be 13 or 14 scholarship seniors again in 2020. It's sad to think that anyone anywhere needs to wait 4 years to figure out that this is a mistake.

did floridajacket get a hold of TiA's login?

if you ONLY care about football, unless you have a mother or brother or sister that just loves Mechanical Engineering (since you dont) then you still would never choose Tech over a place where you do not have to do anything but football, because you ONLY care about football

truisms are true

for the sake of reality, it is also true that Tech will not land guys that are not also somewhat interested in education or at least the appearance of education, excepting the rarity or legacy.

What he didn't say but is equally obvious:

"We're not going to get the guys who are good at football and academics"

That's a horrible excuse for this nonsense. Stanford has the #14 recruiting class right now. There are more than 17 guys who are good at football and care about school. Besides that, why did we waste our time chasing so many guys we apparently knew we weren't going to get?

@brucefeldman
#Tennessee's going to have a very scary D-line: #Vols just land 5-star JC freak Jonathan Kongbo.

Maybe he leaves by 2017.

That's a horrible excuse for this nonsense. Stanford has the #14 recruiting class right now. There are more than 17 guys who are good at football and care about school. Besides that, why did we waste our time chasing so many guys we apparently knew we weren't going to get?

Stop with the Stanford comparison. Stanford or any of the private institutes do not compare to us.

Romeo said for the last 4 months we were his favorite, but Miami, his dream school, swooped in the last couple and got em. Donovaughn has always been LSU commit. On TOS, a cousin pretty much laid out the "BLUEPRINT" on on how to get Campbell and we didn't follow. Those were the only 2 were chasing per se.

Besides that, why did we waste our time chasing so many guys we apparently knew we weren't going to get?

I don't think we knew we weren't going to get them.

Johnson had previously committed to us but elected UCF after his visit. So, he basically got free food out of us.

Finley had been high on us but Miami came swooping in late, and since they were his childhood favorite and his dad went there (I think), he couldn't resist apparently.

Campbell always felt like a longshot to me. Yes, his brother goes here, and we offered a scholarship to his teammate this year to further entice him, but he had committed to LSU, the hometown team, for over a year.

What's disappointing to me is the lack of planning for Plan B guys. As discussed, we severed ties with Arkeem Byrd because he visited Mizzou and wound up at Wake. Sucks because we sure could have used a safety.

It would be interesting to see what those 17 Stanford commits end up majoring in. I have an MA but couldn't sniff admittance at Tech. Never undetestimate how bad the general public is at math, nor how much they fear it. So, good at academics still isn't necessarily good at Tech.

Stop with the Stanford comparison. Stanford or any of the private institutes do not compare to us.

I don't get it. Why is that? And does that mean we don't or can't compare to Duke, Miami, Vandy, Syracuse, WF, Boston College, etc?

It's not a comparison, it's just a demonstration that there are lots of guys out there looking for more than just football. Stanford may not compare to us, but it also doesn't compare to USC in the same conference, or Alabama, or Texas, or any of the other untouchable programs who's recruits we're conceding we're not going to get.

Even though we're not going to end up stealing all of Stanford's recruits and getting top 15 classes, because I know that's not in the cards, we can do WAY better than this. There are more than 18 guys out there.

Romeo said for the last 4 months we were his favorite, but Miami, his dream school, swooped in the last couple and got em. Donovaughn has always been LSU commit. On TOS, a cousin pretty much laid out the "BLUEPRINT" on on how to get Campbell and we didn't follow. Those were the only 2 were chasing per se.

If a guy says Miami is his dream school, that's some smoke, don't you think? If a guy is a solid LSU commit, what's that look like to you? And if we know how to get a guy and we just won't do it, what does that make you think?

You can probably guess what it all means to me.

Back