OK, let's talk about the Offense

If you can’t run the ball, you can’t win(unless the opponent turns the ball over five times like Wake and Miami did). Tech can’t run the ball.
Rushing yards by game against FBS
175/167/158/69/99

Here is why drives are dying and we are racking up 3&outs. Either teams have adjusted to our O or our <200 lb RB are getting dinged up. Our best back so far is 180 lbs. It’s tough to absorb hits from DL and LBs running downhill into you at that weight. We might need to throw in a two back set to have a lead blocker every now and again.

Exactly. I’m curious to know what changed. Especially the BG game. When I brought it up that week, all anyone wanted to do was blame the defense.

Exactly. I’m curious to know what changed. Especially the BG game. When I brought it up that week, all anyone wanted to do was blame the defense.

My take on our runners game strategy has been that since our OL can’t get push, they instead just lock up their man and let the RB pick the hole. Maybe BG and Miami sent more players to fill the gap or perhaps the DL were lined up more tightly.

Maybe if the RB read is to the outside with the QB taking the run up the middle as the route for the RPO we would get more yards. Lots of hits on the QB though.

My take on our runners game strategy has been that since our OL can’t get push, they instead just lock up their man and let the RB pick the hole. Maybe BG and Miami sent more players to fill the gap or perhaps the DL were lined up more tightly.

Maybe if the RB read is to the outside with the QB taking the run up the middle as the route for the RPO we would get more yards. Lots of hits on the QB though.
can we hand off to luke benson sometimes? maybe he's too tall

If you can’t run the ball, you can’t win(unless the opponent turns the ball over five times like Wake and Miami did). Tech can’t run the ball.
There’s the problem, IMPO. Our “big” back likes to run in place too much. We need a banger.

We ran stretch plays a lot against Wake I think. Did we try that against Miami?

Hasslebeck was saying this most of the 2nd half: that HK needed to learn to "climb" the pocket (step up as the rush is moved past him) which would open passing - and running - opportunities to him. I felt like his persistence saying this indicated the strength of his belief that this is a major opportunity for improvement for King and our O. If so, I'd have to agree. It would slow down the rush and freeze a LB.
Hasselback was pointing out that King did a very good job of climbing the pocket, not saying he needed to learn to do so. Very few college QBs do this effectively. Most give 1 or 2 reads max, then scramble wide

We also were pretty successful using them against Louisville. And we got too conservative in 2nd half.
IMPO, we try to run the ball wide too much and we often aren't successful sealing the edge, so the play goes nowhere. You can also toss it and throw it wide, too. This is where I think we need to get better. Yes, I'd like to see us go vertical more to make the DB back off, but I'd like to see us incorporate some shorter, quicker stuff like smoke routes, quick slants, sit downs, and tunnel screens. I'd think all that is coming, but those involve such timing that it may not be installed to CBF's liking yet.

What are you talking about man? Miami's RB got a hundred yards against us and they lost.

Some of y'all are getting too wrapped around the axle about something you have absolutely no control over. It is entertainment, be entertained.

I feel like we scheme to cover up known deficiencies in our OL. When we are able to keep people guessing run / pass, this can be effective, but when we get into obvious run / pass situations it does not hold up. When you lean heavily on playcalling and scheme for results rather than brute force, your results are going to be more inconsistent.

Also, I feel like we have some mesh reads where the QB should be keeping it. If we make better reads then the D cannot cheat inside.

Below are the rushing results by game for this year and last for reference.

1697138566523.png

1697138629872.png

Y’all realize we run an offense based on air raid principles, right? Establishing the run is no longer our focus. We try to spread teams out with quick horizontal passing concepts and then either beat them over the top or split them up the middle with a run if they overcommit to the perimeter.

That being said, I do think the lack of a run threat is an issue, just not a RB issue. Haynes in particular has been pretty dangerous when he’s got space - we just aren’t good at all at creating that space. I also don’t think it’s a coincidence at all that we dropped off after the Wake game. We lost Jordan Williams in that game, and he was out for both BG and Miami.

And what can we make of this? Offense the last 3 games has digressed from that of the first 2 games?

More games, more film for competition to scheme against. We have a bye week to introduce some new elements and practice them. If the next two games look the same on offense, then I'll join your bitchfest.

I don't think the offense is performing that poorly. We do struggle running the ball. Some of the problems in my view are the result of conservative play calling that is conservative so we 1) assure we get points on the board and don't want to pass that might jeopardize the FG and 2) conservative play calling to get us to a tight game in 4th quarter.

BG was a bad game but even then the defense did not give the offense a chance with TOP.

With that said I would like to see more option play. I know we can't get the QB hurt but option would help. Helped against Miami in second half when King began to pull some handoffs back and head out himself. Also see some more crossing patterns. CrossIng patterns do carry risks but would open up the outside if could hit some.

Back