OK, let's talk about the Offense

11th best big play percentage in nation is a big improvement in area that we really struggle in a year ago.

Offense and Defense had each others backs against Miami. That was great to see. King praised the D repeatedly during post game interviews. The squib kick didn’t go as planned but we hit the one FG we attempted and punting game was solid overall. Glass is half full. Chance to fill it a bit more this week.

I feel like we scheme to cover up known deficiencies in our OL. When we are able to keep people guessing run / pass, this can be effective, but when we get into obvious run / pass situations it does not hold up. When you lean heavily on playcalling and scheme for results rather than brute force, your results are going to be more inconsistent.

Also, I feel like we have some mesh reads where the QB should be keeping it. If we make better reads then the D cannot cheat inside.

Below are the rushing results by game for this year and last for reference.

1697138566523.png

1697138629872.png
Not sure where data is from but we haven't had a grass surface in Bobby Dodd since 2020.

And what can we make of this? Offense the last 3 games has digressed from that of the first 2 games?
Yeah, we are a work in progress. Compare 2022 with 2023

Last year we had two total games above 0 in terms of offensive efficiency (0.10, and 0.02), whereas this year we have already had two against FBS opponents (0.46, 0.26). Miami and Wake are not bad teams. Our efficiency last year against Miami was -1.58 and we improved to -0.78 this year. I hope no one is "happy" with how the offense has played the last three weeks, but considering how ööööty we have been the last four years, I don't fault the offensive staff for not being good yet.

I hope the BG was an anomaly, because there is no excuse for how abysmal we played. BC has looked bad against good teams (FSU, Louisville) and has looked passable against bad teams. I think this upcoming game should help highlight what to expect going forward from the O.

The reason our offense has sputtered the last few games is because teams now have film and Faulkner’s offense, while better than what we’ve had lately, is very easy to predict and defend. If Faulkner stays at GT next year I expect a lot more variation with a seasoned QB and lots of seasoned WR’s. But, right now we stall for lengthy periods of time and we can’t expect tu4novers to bail us out like at Wake and Miami. We have a lot of upside but right now our opposing DC’s know what our designs are to get players “in space” so it’s gonna be tight windows unless DB’s break down like that Miami dude did (thankfully).

The reason our offense has sputtered the last few games is because teams now have film and Faulkner’s offense, while better than what we’ve had lately, is very easy to predict and defend. If Faulkner stays at GT next year I expect a lot more variation with a seasoned QB and lots of seasoned WR’s. But, right now we stall for lengthy periods of time and we can’t expect tu4novers to bail us out like at Wake and Miami. We have a lot of upside but right now our opposing DC’s know what our designs are to get players “in space” so it’s gonna be tight windows unless DB’s break down like that Miami dude did (thankfully).
This. CBF's O isn't in completely and opposing teams now have film on us and know our strengths, weaknesses, and tendencies. It'll get tougher before it gets better, but it will get better. You all remember CPJ's O in his first year? We had some games we looked really good (MSU, FSU, Miami, and UGA), and then some real stinkers (VPI, GW, UNC, LSU). Same thing.

I sincerely hope BG wasn't the result of "tape" on our offense. We may need to go back to the drawing board if that is the case. I hope it is more the case that our inexperienced coaching staff has not yet been capable of making the in game adjustments necessary to win at this level. That at least is something we can reasonably expect to improve over time.

Just FYI... National Passing Leaders - I sorted the list by total TD.

Couple things jump out about this: of the 12 top QBs sorted by TD passes, 7 of the QBs ahead of King have played in one or two more games. So if you re-rank by TD passes per game, King advances to 6th Nationally. Another thing is that of the other 11 guys, 7 are SR and 4 are JR. King is the only SO in the top 12.

I also added three stats: - TD per game, ATT per TD and CMP per TD.

So King is tossing about 3 TD per game, one out of every 12 Attempts is a TD and 1 out of 7 Completions is a TD. Wow.

BC's pass defense isn't very good (they have one INT on the year) so I expect King to keep climbing up this list.

1697736783501.png

It goes without saying I think, but this was the best offensive performance of the season, thanks to the coaching staff realizing who the best RB is. Even in the first quarter we had sustained drives. The third quarter could’ve been disasterous for the defense with the TOP thanks to the triple coverage throw and and a short drive giving UNC 13 minutes of possession, but the Offense rallied for the incredible win.

1698588414817.png

Back