OK, let's talk about the Offense

I posted this in another thread, but it fits here, too.

This vanilla, pistol, RPO offense is boring!! Almost Everybody runs it and knows how to defend it. Only superior athletes or defensive stupidity makes much of a difference in predicted outcome. Not suggesting we go back to the 3O, but I would love for us to go to a multiple, Ralf Friedgen/Joe Hamilton style offense, which incorporated some option elements.

I posted this in another thread, but it fits here, too.

This vanilla, pistol, RPO offense is boring!! Almost Everybody runs it and knows how to defend it. Only superior athletes or defensive stupidity makes much of a difference in predicted outcome. Not suggesting we go back to the 3O, but I would love for us to go to a multiple, Ralf Friedgen/Joe Hamilton style offense, which incorporated some option elements.
There' is no excuse for not having some kind of option offense. It's just stupid to keep trying to run up the middle and looking downfield for open receivers and that's it. How obviously do you need to run the option to loosen things up. Then you run up the middle, etc. It's just so stoopid that we're not doing it.

Undefeated against TAMU and a bunch of lightweight teams. They'd still be undefeated if their coach wasn't an idiot.

Clearly you are cherrypicking what you want, so there's no point in trying to rationally discuss. There's a problem with the offense, even if you choose to ignore it.

We are halfway through the season, team has had time to settle in with the offense. Is this the type of drive chart that excites you?

1696864167684.png

Five of first six drives were essentially 3 and outs, with the other one ending in an INT. Of the next 3 drives, one was nice sustained drive, and the other two we benefitted from starting essentially in the Red Zone. After that, two more 3 or 4 play drives and then the miracle in Miami.

And the BG game chart looks a whole lot like this one. Scary to be even saying that.

Team has a bye week and hopefully that will allow for some serious reevaluation of what they are trying to do on offense and some needed corrections in the running game.
Buster Faulkner and Geep Wade have done a heck of a job along with the WR coach and new RB Coach. The offense looks to be coming together.... We have an Air Raid Identity first time GT FB has had an offensive Identity since 2018.

Clearly you are cherrypicking what you want, so there's no point in trying to rationally discuss.
Pot meet kettle....

Seriously though what does the offense have to do to make you happy? Obviously, the offense has to improve for us to become a Top 25 team, but our offense was 125 out 131 teams at 17.2 ppg last year and is now averaging 30.8 ppg.

Meanwhile, our defense which over the past 4+ seasons has been the worst performing defense in the history of GT football and has been statistically somewhat worse this year compared to last year doesn't seem to bother you at all and you focus on the offense.

If our defense had shown just a modest improvement over last year in the first 6 games, we beat Louisville and Bowling Green and would be 5-1 instead of 3-3.

Pot meet kettle....

Seriously though what does the offense have to do to make you happy? Obviously, the offense has to improve for us to become a Top 25 team, but our offense was 125 out 131 teams at 17.2 ppg last year and is now averaging 30.8 ppg.

Dude, I'm talking about the last two games. Against Bowling ööööing Green we scored a garbage-time TD to get to 27 points. Against Miami we scored a miracle TD that only occurred because Cristobal is an idiot to get to 23 points. Take those two away and we are averaging 18 ppg in our last two, one of which against an extremely weak team.

There's a difference in the offense between the team that scored 34/48/23/30 in its first 4 games and the one that has been wetting the bed in the last 2. If you can't admit that then you are either stubborn or an idiot.

Dude, I'm talking about the last two games. Against Bowling ööööing Green we scored a garbage-time TD to get to 27 points. Against Miami we scored a miracle TD that only occurred because Cristobal is an idiot to get to 23 points. Take those two away and we are averaging 18 ppg in our last two, one of which against an extremely weak team.

There's a difference in the offense between the team that scored 34/48/23/30 in its first 4 games and the one that has been wetting the bed in the last 2. If you can't admit that then you are either stubborn or an idiot.
Take the two anomalous quick TD's away against BGSU and it's less than that. Discount the Louisville opener and it's even worse....

Why take away points? They all count. Leaving out SC St, 34/23/30/27/23. The 27 against BG was bad. There is no sugar coating that.

Our ground game has gone missing the last two weeks. That has to get fixed.

If you take away our 3 wins, we are 0-3....That's coit logic right there

We cannot continue to throw 2 INTs per game and be successful. We will not beat any decent Power 5 team if we play offense like we did against BG.

I expect the offense's performance to fluctuate based on the quality of their opponent and because teams / players have good and bad days. The offense clearly underperformed versus BG. It's really debatable how the offense performed versus a very good Miami defense in poor weather. The offense has performed well in every other game.

The offense has shown tremendous improvement over last years results. If the defense does not get better, it might not matter how well the offense plays the rest of the year.

Our problems start and end with an inconsistent run threat. We don’t have a back that creates the inside the tackles threat we need to keep the defense honest on our outside the tackles screen plays. Haynes is doing an admirable job, but he’s a converted WR. He had a very tough run against Miami, but otherwise it’s small gains that a defense is willing to concede. Cooley hasn’t shown a willingness to run inside. I’m not sure what’s up with Dontae but in the Louisville game he was doing a lot of dancing and then there were family complaints about playcalling that runs him up the middle.

If you watch what Monken did with uga, I expect that is what Faulkner is trying to do here.None of that works if the defense can sell out to stop the screen plays to the edge.

Edit - and look at the difference over time. First game UL didn’t know what we had in first half and was covering inside runs. Haynes King ate them alive with short passes and screens. When they figured out no one could run up the middle, they covered the edge and we did nothing. Everyone else has that figured out too.

Take the two anomalous quick TD's away against BGSU and it's less than that. Discount the Louisville opener and it's even worse....

I'm talking about the last two games as compared to the first four. Are you stubborn or stupid? :rotfl:

I can see you don't want to have a serious conversation.
You have a theory and you try to adjust the stats to make it true. You can’t take away TDs until you get to 18 PPG and then say see our offense sucks we only REALLY score 18 PPG. Offense needs to get better (especially running) but has improved remarkably from last year. Maybe that changes and we don’t stay at 30.8 PPG though I hope not

I'm talking about the last two games as compared to the first four. Are you stubborn or stupid? :rotfl:
Neither. Well, stubborn, yes. You just cannot make a decent analysis of an offense leaving out hand-picked scores. It is what it is. Analyze that.

Neither. Well, stubborn, yes. You just cannot make a decent analysis of an offense leaving out hand-picked scores. It is what it is. Analyze that.

Hand picked? What did I hand pick? First four games versus last two games. Do I have to post the drive charts for the last two games in every post I make? You are a stat guy, how can you look at those drive charts in the last two games and not see a problem?

Hand picked? What did I hand pick? First four games versus last two games. Do I have to post the drive charts for the last two games in every post I make? You are a stat guy, how can you look at those drive charts in the last two games and not see a problem?
Where did I say there is no problem? There is a problem. We’re just not properly assessing it assuming scores that happened somehow don’t count.

If you can’t run the ball, you can’t win(unless the opponent turns the ball over five times like Wake and Miami did). Tech can’t run the ball.

Rushing yards by game against FBS
175/167/158/69/99

Here is why drives are dying and we are racking up 3&outs. Either teams have adjusted to our O or our <200 lb RB are getting dinged up. Our best back so far is 180 lbs. It’s tough to absorb hits from DL and LBs running downhill into you at that weight. We might need to throw in a two back set to have a lead blocker every now and again.

Back