Other Schools' Coaching Changes [Now with Colorado's Deion]

Deion Sanders coaching career so far consists of him coaching teams with a tremendous player talent advantage over his opponents. At Colorado, he will see a lot more parity in player talent and some cases will be at a disadvantage for the first time in his career. Coach Prime's abilities as an X's and O's coach are unproven. He has brought in an outstanding offensive mind for his OC. Charles Kelly is frankly a very mediocre DC hire. We will see how it works out.

Colorado's young QB's transferred out and it will be challenging to recruit good QB talent when they do not feel they will have a fair shot at winning the starting job. If Shedeur Sanders ends up being an average or worse P5 QB or if he gets hurt, Colorado will not achieve the level of success they envision under Coach Prime. Things could really get ugly really fast if Shedeur Sanders is not good.

There is no doubt that Deion Sanders is an excellent recruiter and marketer and that allows him to bring in money and players for a program that would not otherwise be there. At some point though, the on the field success will have to be comparable to the money coming in or the money will stop coming in. The shine will come off of the Coach Prime allure. Are the same people that throw money at a JSU team that wins pretty much every game going to continue to throw money at a 5-7 Colorado team. I am not saying that Coach Prime will not be successful, but his strengths are very much contingent on continuing to win at a high level and could dry up if that success does not continue.

So how does this all play out for Colorado....If Coach Prime is successful, he will take his "luggage" including all of the money sponsors and their best players with him to greener pastures after 2-4 years. Maybe you get a conference championship and get into the expanded playoff before he leaves. I am not seeing how the Coach Prime model of doing things will leave behind much of a legacy that Colorado would benefit from. If Coach Prime experience devolves into toxic mess, I suppose it will not be much worse than being 1-11 like the current team, however if you alienate your traditional boosters in the process of making concessions to Coach Prime then you could end up in an even worst position.

It will certainly be entertaining to see how things play out.
That last paragraph is a great description of what should have been the first and last thing considered, for us or any of our peer group within P5. Deion is the perfect embodiment of the self-serving rot which has spread throughout college athletics and created the changes most or all of us hate. It is very hard to imagine a realistic scenario where this ends well for Colorado as a football program. And fine, they're a dogshit program anyway so maybe it was worth the gamble for them.

But some of you wanted to follow Little Boy B*** L**** and Gef "Fat Man" Clownins with Prime Time Neon Deion ööööing Sanders and it's going to take me a while to get over it.

If you were a highly rated quarterback would you go where the coach has already established that his son is going to be the starter?

I would. Then I would legally change my name, and start showing up at his house and calling him "dad" to confuse him. One day, the pressure is on, it's the play of the game, he can't think clearly, oh no! I'm in the game, grinning at his son as I throw the football at my O lineman's butt. But I'm wearing my reflective visor, and my uniform says "Sanders"... hahahaaaaaa!!!! I escape into the shadows, leaving his life in ruins. Where did I go? Why did I do it? It will haunt them forever, and they'll never know...

I would. Then I would legally change my name, and start showing up at his house and calling him "dad" to confuse him. One day, the pressure is on, it's the play of the game, he can't think clearly, oh no! I'm in the game, grinning at his son as I throw the football at my O lineman's butt. But I'm wearing my reflective visor, and my uniform says "Sanders"... hahahaaaaaa!!!! I escape into the shadows, leaving his life in ruins. Where did I go? Why did I do it? It will haunt them forever, and they'll never know...

Now this is the quality content you'd expect from a mod. This place has really gone uphill since @cyptomcat stepped down.

That last paragraph is a great description of what should have been the first and last thing considered, for us or any of our peer group within P5. Deion is the perfect embodiment of the self-serving rot which has spread throughout college athletics and created the changes most or all of us hate. It is very hard to imagine a realistic scenario where this ends well for Colorado as a football program. And fine, they're a dogshit program anyway so maybe it was worth the gamble for them.

But some of you wanted to follow Little Boy B*** L**** and Gef "Fat Man" Clownins with Prime Time Neon Deion ööööing Sanders and it's going to take me a while to get over it.
Damnson.org

Jokes on you though cause they still get that 5th down after you leave

I’ve been quiet for a while on this one. You will tell me be quiet more. There is no reason to judge at this point. The guy can sink or swim. All I see lately in this thread is bs nonsense about how Deion will fail. Bullshit, he’s already won.

I’ve been quiet for a while on this one. You will tell me be quiet more. There is no reason to judge at this point. The guy can sink or swim. All I see lately in this thread is bs nonsense about how Deion will fail. Bullshit, he’s already won.

I'm interested, what would you say success for Deion looks like at Colorado? I feel absolute minimum 5 wins his first season (ideally a bowl), and then an 8 win season at some point in the following two.

It's interesting to see how many people here are hoping that he fails. I think it's unlikely. Prime is a winner. History has shown that. He can only succeed at Colorado. It's impossible to make them any worse. You can't get any lower than becoming completely irrelevant and being competitive in 2 out of 12 games. Their schedule next year is quite favorable outside of TCU in the first 7 games. He is well positioned for a good start to this time in Boulder.

I'm interested, what would you say success for Deion looks like at Colorado? I feel absolute minimum 5 wins his first season (ideally a bowl), and then an 8 win season at some point in the following two.
Why do I have to be painted into a corner? If he does what you say then please run the numbers and calculate what percent improvement ha has provided.

Why do I have to be painted into a corner? If he does what you say then please run the numbers and calculate what percent improvement ha has provided.

You don't have to. You just said it was BS nonsense to say that Deion would fail so I figured you might have some level of success in mind to be making that evaluation. But obviously you don't have to share that.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he does, it's what I'm most excited for outside of Tech next season.

It's interesting to see how many people here are hoping that he fails. I think it's unlikely. Prime is a winner. History has shown that. He can only succeed at Colorado. It's impossible to make them any worse. You can't get any lower than becoming completely irrelevant and being competitive in 2 out of 12 games. Their schedule next year is quite favorable outside of TCU in the first 7 games. He is well positioned for a good start to this time in Boulder.

Lots of people see him as a traitor and a sellout (he deserves that criticism for how he promoted HBCU football). Not sure that is the case on here. Deion can fail at Colorado though if he isn't competitive for the conference championship in 3-4 years. Going from a 1-2 season to a 5-6 win season in years 3&4 isn't going to be seen as success to most.

Calling Deion Sanders a sellout ignores the growing role of clout-chasing in college sports (yahoo.com)

He can only succeed at Colorado. It's impossible to make them any worse. You can't get any lower than becoming completely irrelevant and being competitive in 2 out of 12 games.

That logic doesn't track to me. Usually you hire a coach with the expectation that he will improve your team significantly, especially if your team is currently really bad. Just because you maintain the status quo doesn't mean you haven't failed.

To apply it to us, I will consider Key a failure if he keeps us at 3-9 every season, even though he hasn't made us any worse. Similarly, I expect most will consider Deion not to have succeeded if he goes 3-9 every year at Colorado, even though he would have made them better.

You don't have to. You just said it was BS nonsense to say that Deion would fail so I figured you might have some level of success in mind to be making that evaluation. But obviously you don't have to share that.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he does, it's what I'm most excited for outside of Tech next season.
I believe many complaining about what he is doing are doing so to justify not hiring him.

I believe many complaining about what he is doing are doing so to justify not hiring him.
This is it. Hopefully for their fragile egos Deion can fall flat on his face so they can come back with their told you so posts especially if Key just performs ho hum 5-7 to 7-5 with annual beat dows by UGA over the next 4/5 years. (Sounds almost like I'm describing Chan Gailey)

I hope Deion succeeds but loses to Tech when we play his team in a few years. It is ok to be a Tech fan and still root for his success.i grew up with Deion Sanders, being a young teen when he played at FSU and then the Falcons. I ran into him once at Gwinnett Place mall near Champs Sporting Goods. Seems like a genuinely good guy for being Prime Time.

Back