Other Schools' Coaching Changes [Now with Colorado's Deion]

So Deion‘s team lost the championship game with (checks notes)- the past two recruiting years ranked #62 and #75 vs. NCCU’s at #221 and #178. That doesn’t seem like good coaching.

So Deion‘s team lost the championship game with (checks notes)- the past two recruiting years ranked #62 and #75 vs. NCCU’s at #221 and #178. That doesn’t seem like good coaching.
Tbh, the team did kinda give up on him after he decided to leave.

A lot of teams do poorly with a departing coach.

And any team can lose a single game for a bunch of different reasons. A 13-1 record with a conference title and an overtime loss in the bowl isn't exactly a black mark against the coach.

And any team can lose a single game for a bunch of different reasons. A 13-1 record with a conference title and an overtime loss in the bowl isn't exactly a black mark against the coach.
How did he do in the conf championship last year?

I’m sorry, I meant the HBCU championship game.....looks like they lost to S. Carolina St. 31-10 in an upset

Probably best to remember which game you're pretending to not know the result of when you're trying to hold a coach's 23-3 two-year record against him.

I actually think Deion will be a disaster at Colorado but it's silly to try to hold his record at Jackson State against him. He did incredible there.

Probably best to remember which game you're pretending to not know the result of when you're trying to hold a coach's 23-3 two-year record against him.

I actually think Deion will be a disaster at Colorado but it's silly to try to hold his record at Jackson State against him. He did incredible there.
Dude, I really didn’t know, I just googled it right before I posted last post.

So you think football is different at big Fb schools than it is at FCS HBCU Schools?

or you think he will fail because of the Altitude?

or why do you think he will fail? Recruiting. Poor supporting coaches.

So you think football is different at big Fb schools than it is at FCS HBCU Schools?

or you think he will fail because of the Altitude?

or why do you think he will fail? Recruiting. Poor supporting coaches.

I think that he was able to pull recruiting classes at Jackson State that gave him far superior talent than any of his opponents, and he won't be able to do that at any P5 school.

He will recruit very well, certainly, but his players won't outclass his opponents' in the same way that they do at JSU. That just doesn't happen in P5.

So then it will come down to coaching. Or, more specifically, how he runs the program and handles adversity, since I assume he'll be a CEO-style coach. I don't see any reason to believe he can do that well, and lots of reasons to believe he can't based on how he's acting already.

That said, I fully acknowledge it's mostly an unknown and he could do well. 6 wins in the first season would be a success in my opinion. I don't think he'll hit that mark.

I think that he was able to pull recruiting classes at Jackson State that gave him far superior talent than any of his opponents, and he won't be able to do that at any P5 school.

He will recruit very well, certainly, but his players won't outclass his opponents' in the same way that they do at JSU. That just doesn't happen in P5.

So then it will come down to coaching. Or, more specifically, how he runs the program and handles adversity, since I assume he'll be a CEO-style coach. I don't see any reason to believe he can do that well, and lots of reasons to believe he can't based on how he's acting already.

That said, I fully acknowledge it's mostly an unknown and he could do well. 6 wins in the first season would be a success in my opinion. I don't think he'll hit that mark.

It does happen in P5. But Deion isn’t going to recruit on the Alabama, uga, or Osu level.

The only Jackson State game I saw was this last one. His son is not a P5 qb. I’m assuming CO knows that and are willing to eat two years while amassing better players.

It does happen in P5. But Deion isn’t going to recruit on the Alabama, uga, or Osu level.

I don't think the gap between U[sic]GA's players and our players is nearly as high as the difference between JSU's players under Deion and their opponents'.

However, I didn't watch much JSU football so that's mostly based on hearsay. Maybe others watched more and can opine.

I don't think the gap between U[sic]GA's players and our players is nearly as high as the difference between JSU's players under Deion and their opponents'.

However, I didn't watch much JSU football so that's mostly based on hearsay. Maybe others watched more and can opine.
JSU was recruiting in the 50’s under Deion, not sure about what talent he got in the transfer portal, the other team‘s in hbcu are in the 170-250 range, or not even on the list.

Incredible hell. It was like watching rec league ball.

Deion Sanders coaching career so far consists of him coaching teams with a tremendous player talent advantage over his opponents. At Colorado, he will see a lot more parity in player talent and some cases will be at a disadvantage for the first time in his career. Coach Prime's abilities as an X's and O's coach are unproven. He has brought in an outstanding offensive mind for his OC. Charles Kelly is frankly a very mediocre DC hire. We will see how it works out.

Colorado's young QB's transferred out and it will be challenging to recruit good QB talent when they do not feel they will have a fair shot at winning the starting job. If Shedeur Sanders ends up being an average or worse P5 QB or if he gets hurt, Colorado will not achieve the level of success they envision under Coach Prime. Things could really get ugly really fast if Shedeur Sanders is not good.

There is no doubt that Deion Sanders is an excellent recruiter and marketer and that allows him to bring in money and players for a program that would not otherwise be there. At some point though, the on the field success will have to be comparable to the money coming in or the money will stop coming in. The shine will come off of the Coach Prime allure. Are the same people that throw money at a JSU team that wins pretty much every game going to continue to throw money at a 5-7 Colorado team. I am not saying that Coach Prime will not be successful, but his strengths are very much contingent on continuing to win at a high level and could dry up if that success does not continue.

So how does this all play out for Colorado....If Coach Prime is successful, he will take his "luggage" including all of the money sponsors and their best players with him to greener pastures after 2-4 years. Maybe you get a conference championship and get into the expanded playoff before he leaves. I am not seeing how the Coach Prime model of doing things will leave behind much of a legacy that Colorado would benefit from. If Coach Prime experience devolves into toxic mess, I suppose it will not be much worse than being 1-11 like the current team, however if you alienate your traditional boosters in the process of making concessions to Coach Prime then you could end up in an even worst position.

It will certainly be entertaining to see how things play out.

Deion Sanders coaching career so far consists of him coaching teams with a tremendous player talent advantage over his opponents. At Colorado, he will see a lot more parity in player talent and some cases will be at a disadvantage for the first time in his career. Coach Prime's abilities as an X's and O's coach are unproven. He has brought in an outstanding offensive mind for his OC. Charles Kelly is frankly a very mediocre DC hire. We will see how it works out.

Colorado's young QB's transferred out and it will be challenging to recruit good QB talent when they do not feel they will have a fair shot at winning the starting job. If Shedeur Sanders ends up being an average or worse P5 QB or if he gets hurt, Colorado will not achieve the level of success they envision under Coach Prime. Things could really get ugly really fast if Shedeur Sanders is not good.

There is no doubt that Deion Sanders is an excellent recruiter and marketer and that allows him to bring in money and players for a program that would not otherwise be there. At some point though, the on the field success will have to be comparable to the money coming in or the money will stop coming in. The shine will come off of the Coach Prime allure. Are the same people that throw money at a JSU team that wins pretty much every game going to continue to throw money at a 5-7 Colorado team. I am not saying that Coach Prime will not be successful, but his strengths are very much contingent on continuing to win at a high level and could dry up if that success does not continue.

So how does this all play out for Colorado....If Coach Prime is successful, he will take his "luggage" including all of the money sponsors and their best players with him to greener pastures after 2-4 years. Maybe you get a conference championship and get into the expanded playoff before he leaves. I am not seeing how the Coach Prime model of doing things will leave behind much of a legacy that Colorado would benefit from. If Coach Prime experience devolves into toxic mess, I suppose it will not be much worse than being 1-11 like the current team, however if you alienate your traditional boosters in the process of making concessions to Coach Prime then you could end up in an even worst position.

It will certainly be entertaining to see how things play out.
Beat me to it. A++

I will be surprised if Sanders is not the worst QB in the PAC.

Can’t wait till they play Utah.

Back