Other Schools' Coaching Changes [Now with Colorado's Deion]

aeromech

Dodd-Like

gojkts

these go to eleven
Tell me you haven’t been to Aspen without telling me you haven’t been to Aspen.

Vail is great if you like to fight the denver crowd and ski a lot of cat trails. I’ll admit, the back bowls are great. That’s it. the rest of the mountain is overcrowded and nothing special. The town is very meh.
The Denver locals tend to go to A-Basin or Loveland. Same terrain, no on-site tourist lodging (and fewer novice skiers), no ridiculous parking fees, and a lot less driving. If we do go to one of the tourist-pass resorts, it's more likely Keystone, Winter Park, Copper, or Breckenridge (all much closer to Denver than Vail).

You're insane if you think Beaver Creek is meh. It's world class and fr less crowded than Vail.

gt2690b

PB time!
I’ve been to vail 4-5 times. I just don’t like the mountain. Didn’t like beaver creek either. ...
I really have nothing to say to someone that claims Vail sucks.. that's like saying Jessica Alba has elbows too sharp

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
I really have nothing to say to someone that claims Vail sucks.. that's like saying Jessica Alba has elbows too sharp
If you are lowering your standards for Jessica Alba then you are no friend of mine

clapper

Dodd-Like
Andy McCollum gets a head coaching gig at Division 3 Sewanee. Congrats!

Good for him. I always liked the guy. When he was walking around the sidelines, he always looked like everyone's drunk uncle.

buzzdoc

Dodd-Like
As someone who lives in CO, I agree.

(But won't agree with the assessment of Beaver Creek. Has to be my favorite mountain close to Denver. Great tree runs, hidden powder stashes, never a lift line...and there are chefs with warm cookies waiting on you at the end of the day. Nothing like a beer and a freshly-baked cookie after a day on the Birds of Prey.)
My only trip to BC was 2 years ago near the end of the season. What you describe was not my experience at all. 15 minute waits at the bottom, at least 5 minute waits on the mid-mountain lifts. People ööööing everywhere. No cookies at the end of the day. Impossible to get a reservation to eat on the mountain for lunch (COVID bullshit- I'll let that slide). Pain in the ass to get from one side of the mountain to the other. I'd far rather ski somewhere else. As far as the best mountain close to Denver? Maybe. But when I'm flying in, I'd rather go to Snowmass or Steamboat. Or Utah.

OmnipoTech

Jolly Good Fellow
My only trip to BC was 2 years ago near the end of the season. What you describe was not my experience at all. 15 minute waits at the bottom, at least 5 minute waits on the mid-mountain lifts. People ööööing everywhere. No cookies at the end of the day. Impossible to get a reservation to eat on the mountain for lunch (COVID bullshit- I'll let that slide). Pain in the ass to get from one side of the mountain to the other. I'd far rather ski somewhere else. As far as the best mountain close to Denver? Maybe. But when I'm flying in, I'd rather go to Snowmass or Steamboat. Or Utah.
I've been to BC several times, always on weekends, and most recently in January, and never had any lines to speak of. The cookies can be hit or miss - this last time they were not warm and tasted like they came from Kroger, but I'm not there to eat cookies. Finding a table for apres beers has always been no trouble either.

ThatGuy

Varsity Lurker
Steamboat, Snowmass, and Crested Butte are by far better mountains. Hell, I'd take Wolf Creek over any of them for the on-mountain (less so the apres). But they're all 3 hours+ from Denver. And when you live in Denver, you can't generally do that every week. So if you're looking for something nearby Denver, BC is where it's at.

"2 years ago" → this was your issue. That was the "coming back from COVID" year, where everything - including all the infrastructure - was wonky. Waits at BC were still shorter than the rest of the nearby big mountains - Vail was averaging hour-long lift lines at the bottom that year, and the mid-mountain lifts weren't much better. All because of COVID worker slowdown, as well as Vail drastically dropping its pass prices (which led to more people signing up than they anticipated).

In short, the COVID BS was a lot more than just reservations on the mountain for lunch. I wouldn't judge any mountain by an experience from 2 years ago.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like

Think this has been known for a couple weeks, but I guess Burton to KSU is official

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Good for him, I hope he does well. I'm inclined to believe Juanyeh and Tariq saying he was scapegoated by Goof.
I certainly questioned his coaching, given the regression of those two. But now I don't know how to judge anyone who worked under Gef. So I wish Nate well, too.