Paul Johnson and retirement

SeppGT

Varsity Lurker
A new coach with the status quo isn't going to be able to make any changes. In fact we'll probably regress. They wanna give the new coach a clean slate with much improved facilities to get him a leg up in recruiting. That's why Paul's not gone right now.

Yea, that and CPJ actually does an amazing job with what he has, and he manages to have teams not filled with thugs every year. Winning isnt everything, especially not at tech. A lot of kids choose tech for the academics, like Cottrell.

That and everyone knows CPJ typically recovers to a 9 or 10 win season right about now.

18in32

Petard Hoister
I don’t think we played really well against Miami and UVa. Miami’s D shut us down. They just lost on ST. Virginia’s short passing games killed us. Pitt’s running game killed us. UGa and Clemson have all three of those pieces.
Miami's defense is #2 in the nation and full of future pros. We did what we needed to do to win.

It is interesting that sometimes when the offense plays lights out, but the defense stinks and we lose, people complain because the offense didn't score a TD on every single possession. "The offense sucks because it didn't score when the game was on the line!" The same illogic applies vice versa to complaints about the defense.

But then when the offense (or defense) does do what we needed to win but didn't live up to expectations statistically, it still gets no credit.

All this proves is that our comments on this board say a lot more about us than they do about the team. There ain't no perfection on this side of heaven.

Last edited:

Ish

Dodd-Like
Miami's defense is #2 in the nation and full of future pros. We did what we needed to do to win.

It is interesting that sometimes when the offense plays lights out, but the defense stinks and we lose, people complain because the offense didn't score a TD on every single possession. "The offense sucks because it didn't score when the game was on the line!" The same illogic applies vice versa.

But then when the offense (or defense) does do what we needed to win but didn't live up to expectations statistically, it still gets no credit.

All this proves is that our comments on this board say a lot more about us than they do about the team. There ain't no perfection on this side of heaven.
Right. The other team is allowed to play their best too. If we don't get credit for the Miami win because they lost it on special teams, do we get to claim the USF game as a win because we lost it in the same fashion?

Ish

Dodd-Like
That doesn’t make much sense to me.

Big money donors want him gone. But he needs to stay during perhaps the program’s largest donation campaign in decades?

Something about that story seems fishy.
Donors probably don't want to be paying three ex-coach salaries (hewitt, gregory, johnson)

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Donors probably don't want to be paying three ex-coach salaries (hewitt, gregory, johnson)
This makes sense. I work with an big donor to another school and he gets really unhappy when the villagers come out for the coach because their AA starts looking to those donors for the funds for a change.

gtg970g

Dodd-Like
You, me or savband can bitch about the coach or want him to stay or whatever. It has no effect. But big money donors actually do have a say and the word is they're done. Thats what i meant by its not in his hands anymore. And it is better to have the new coach start with some weapons in his arsenal like the new facilities.
Isn't listening to big money donors how we ended up with MBob? Be careful what you wish for.

Vespinae

Unbelievable, effort-based commenter
CPJ always says he remembers the losses much more than the wins. I think he's seen how close we were to a 10-2 season, and it just keeps eating at him. I think he'll definitely be back next year, and maybe the year after that. But I think if we can put together a full season where we can't point to any losses where we literally beat ourselves and give games away, he will retire.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
This makes sense. I work with an big donor to another school and he gets really unhappy when the villagers come out for the coach because their AA starts looking to those donors for the funds for a change.
Was rumored the donors told MBob no when he wanted to fire Gregory and that's how we got another year of him.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein

It is interesting that sometimes when the offense plays lights out, but the defense stinks and we lose, people complain because the offense didn't score a TD on every single possession. "The offense sucks because it didn't score when the game was on the line!" The same illogic applies vice versa.

Yeah, I am just noting that the signs for the COFH beatdown were there. We beat some flawed teams. We played two teams this year that don't have flaws, at least ones that can be exposed by most of the teams in college football.

With a little luck, Clemson and UGa will get their staffs pilfered and we can see if Dabo and Smart are as good at replacing assistants as Saban.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
A new coach with the status quo isn't going to be able to make any changes. In fact we'll probably regress. They wanna give the new coach a clean slate with much improved facilities to get him a leg up in recruiting. That's why Paul's not gone right now.
I was thinking about this. There are 14 teams that face Clemson and UGa annually, with USCe playing both like us. I think those teams are 2-15 over the past 2 years. Most of those games would be classified as buttkickings.

Realistically, we can not put together a program package as good as UF, FSU, or Auburn. They have the prefect combination of recruiting, fan support, cash, and low academic standards. FSU lost Jimbo because they weren't willing to spend like Clemson be be at that elite level.

We probably in the lower third of the next group commitment wise, but perform probably better than everyone USCe . USCe, NCSt, Tenn, and Louisville all have some of the pieces above. They are all spending like crazy. Mizzu and Cuse have more tepid support. They won't consistently challenge teams in the top 10.

BC, Wake, UK, and Vandy have some deeper program wise problems and won't consistently perform at our level.

So the question becomes, how much do we need to spend to rise up to the top of the second group? How do we leverage our advantages to improve our standing knowing that UT, USCe, NCSt, and UL are all throwing tons of money and fan support at the problem without getting anywhere.

CPJ was a pretty good swing at it. He gave us an identity. We've won some nice games. Who out there can honestly do better? I think Leach could. I think whoever the next Franklin or Meyer is could do it for a few seasons before leaving (which I am fine with). But there are a ton of coaches who could cripple the program for years.

just my 2 cents

johncu

Dodd-Like
I don’t think we played really well against Miami and UVa. Miami’s D shut us down. They just lost on ST. Virginia’s short passing games killed us. Pitt’s running game killed us. UGa and Clemson have all three of those pieces.
Our offense scored as many points on Miami than literally any other team all year (LSU scored on defense). I'd say we played pretty damn good on that side of the ball.

Last edited:

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
If they could see into the future at the success of both the past two coaches they would have never fired Hewitt.
Ok, thats ööööing nuts. We literally couldn't inball under Hewitt.

He was expensive and the fans were gone. As expensive as it was, we couldnt afford not to fire him. Then we couldnt afford a new coach so we hired a bargain bin guy.

Yeah, we have whiffed on recruiting, but the new guy can coach. And not just "his system", the guy has shown the ability to coach to whatever guys and skills the team has.

Unless you think he can never turn the corner on recruiting and will always fall short, its crazy not to be optimistic under this guy. If we ever close the talent gap we are going to be a powerhouse.

User 8976

User account deleted
"The only way they will see five stars at Georgia Tech is if they buy a telescope" -SEC announcer

Jacketfan1

Varsity Lurker
Our offense scored more points on Miami than literally any other team all year (LSU scored on defense). I'd say we played pretty damn good on that side of the ball.
FSU scored 27 and BC scored 27...

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
Ok, thats ööööing nuts. We literally couldn't inball under Hewitt.

He was expensive and the fans were gone. As expensive as it was, we couldnt afford not to fire him. Then we couldnt afford a new coach so we hired a bargain bin guy.

Yeah, we have whiffed on recruiting, but the new guy can coach. And not just "his system", the guy has shown the ability to coach to whatever guys and skills the team has.

Unless you think he can never turn the corner on recruiting and will always fall short, its crazy not to be optimistic under this guy. If we ever close the talent gap we are going to be a powerhouse.
I’m not knocking the decision to fire him. But we didn’t improve and got into debt. I’m saying that if they could see into the future they would have waited. And if they could see further then they wouldn’t have given him the contract.