Paul Johnson and retirement

I’m not knocking the decision to fire him. But we didn’t improve and got into debt. I’m saying that if they could see into the future they would have waited. And if they could see further then they wouldn’t have given him the contract.
Yeah, but the problem was that the problem was never going to resolve itself with the moronic self renewing contract that Braine gave Hewitt. It was a throwing good money after bad sort of deal.

If CPJ was to retire do you think there is someone out there that can turn a tide at TECH and make us a National Competitor again?
I have a theory and I think I am correct. A big city school and then to top that off a academically tough school will always be a challenge.
I think sometimes it was better to be an independent and one could shape their schedule to create a winning season. I would love to be in the
class with Clemson and Georgia but I just don't see it ever happening in a town where you are mixed with tons of professional sports. In Tuscaloosa, or even
Athens you are the only game in town. If you are recruiting to TECH you sale the education first, the town of Atlanta is not a sale in my opinion

Each recruiting circumstance is different - redheads, blondes, or brunettes?

I’m not knocking the decision to fire him. But we didn’t improve and got into debt. I’m saying that if they could see into the future they would have waited. And if they could see further then they wouldn’t have given him the contract.

The renewal contract was debt either way. The only debt added was Gregory debt which was minimal (i would have paid him even less but meh) With CPH's salary and ACC cellar performances we were bleeding money as the status quo. Reality is is should have been done sooner.

Our offense scored as many points on Miami than literally any other team all year (LSU scored on defense). I'd say we played pretty damn good on that side of the ball.
Remind me again, what was Miami record this season.

Ok, thats ööööing nuts. We literally couldn't inball under Hewitt.

He was expensive and the fans were gone. As expensive as it was, we couldnt afford not to fire him. Then we couldnt afford a new coach so we hired a bargain bin guy.

Yeah, we have whiffed on recruiting, but the new guy can coach. And not just "his system", the guy has shown the ability to coach to whatever guys and skills the team has.

Unless you think he can never turn the corner on recruiting and will always fall short, its crazy not to be optimistic under this guy. If we ever close the talent gap we are going to be a powerhouse.
I'll have what you're having ... :drink1:

Why do you think that is important in a discussion about our offense VS Miami's very good defense
It's not - he's just grasping for straws trying to find ways to öööö on the team. I'll never understand why a small (but vocal) subset of "fans" continuously does this.

Our offense scored as many points on Miami than literally any other team all year (LSU scored on defense). I'd say we played pretty damn good on that side of the ball.

We had a 7-play, 18 yard drive for 3 pts after a Miami fumble in their own territory and a 3-play 23-yard drive for a TD after another Miami fumble on their own 23 yd line.

I'd say the Defense generating TOs was why we beat Miami, as well as the offense ending the game with a nice 12-play 7-minute clock-killing drive to keep the D off the field.

We had a 7-play, 18 yard drive for 3 pts after a Miami fumble in their own territory and a 3-play 23-yard drive for a TD after another Miami fumble on their own 23 yd line.

I'd say the Defense generating TOs was why we beat Miami, as well as the offense ending the game with a nice 12-play 7-minute clock-killing drive to keep the D off the field.
I'd add special teams to the reasons why we won, and that's exactly how it should work. We've been so dysfunctional for years - relying on 80-90 yard drives every time we want to score. That's not sustainable.

Waiting would not have helped with his automatically renewing contract. Eventually you had to take the hit. It was better to get it over with.

We also had over 300 yards of offense against a team whose defense average 268.3 yards/game this year. We averaged 5.3 yards per play in the game.

I'd add special teams to the reasons why we won, and that's exactly how it should work. We've been so dysfunctional for years - relying on 80-90 yard drives every time we want to score. That's not sustainable.

Yep and also relying on a bad defense to make late-game stops. The O did what it needed to do in the 4th qtr: Take control of the game and keep the D off the field.

We also had over 300 yards of offense against a team whose defense average 268.3 yards/game this year. We averaged 5.3 yards per play in the game.

we certainly didn't play poorly but the D deserves some credit for generating short-field TDs. Like @johncu I think this was a total-team-effort sort of victory, perhaps moreso than any other game except maybe UVA.

"The only way they will see five stars at Georgia Tech is if they buy a telescope" -SEC announcer

Man this is signature worthy right there hilarious! I heard from a big booster that CPJ is gonna retire after this season and go out on a decent note. Not sure how true that is or maybe that booster is just hoping he will, hard to tell sometimes with people especially old fellers.

Back