Paul Johnson - Hall of Famer

I just realized that we have been wrong all this time.

TFC didn’t say “the biggest rebuild in the history of college football.” he said “the biggest de-build in the history of college football.”

And he was right.

Brent Key quote in the AUC:
"'He truly deserves to join Heisman, Alexander and Dodd as Georgia Tech’s Hall of Fame coaches due to the great success that he brought to The Flats,” Key said. “As an alumnus, I’m grateful for the legacy that he built here at Georgia Tech. I ask that Tech fans everywhere join me in thanking and congratulating him, his family and all of his former and players for this much-deserved honor.”'"

Well done!

This man gave us some great years. Let's all give him praise right here:

Looking at the Miss St game and seeing us ranked #12 ... I wanna deck a CPJ hater in the face. How the actual öööö can you not absolutely love what PJ did for Tech during his reign? Barring a few down years, we could beat just about anyone in any game. We were a top 20 team. Now, we'd all be happy if we can just get to a bowl game. öööö the clown and all the CPJ haters can go eat a turd.

"Last time I shot 69 I was with you girlfriend." I don't think I remember that one form the coach's show.

PJ had a zoom call this morning with some of the press.
Friend of mine was on the call and said someone asked PJ what he was going to do today after the call.
PJ: "Well, go walk the dog ... go to the horse track."
Now that's how you spend retirement.

We were very fortunate to have CPJ for the time we did. I wish it could have been extended, but I know he was worn out trying to swim against the stream.

I will make a special trip next year, if at all possible, to honor this man at BDS.

GT is a different place, and although the Institute has adjusted somewhat over the years to new found realities, the truth is still that we will probably never recruit to a top 10 level. That means, we need an offensive genius (like Friedgen or Johnson) to give us an advantage against superior talent teams.

Hope this doesn't violate any StingTalk Rules!
Takaways:

Most painful losses:
1. Georgia Southern’s loss in the 1998 I-AA national championship game against Massachusetts.

2. Navy bowl-game loss in 2006 to Boston College.

3. Georgia Tech’s 2010 loss to Georgia in Athens. The Yellow Jackets were poised to tie the game at 4:57 remaining. But the K yanked the extra point wide left, ending a streak of 77 straight PATs and leaving the Bulldogs with a one-point lead.

Most remembered:
4. “The Kick and the Pick” overtime win over the Bulldogs in 2014

Note:
He said he misses the competition and relationships, “and I’ve had a couple opportunities to come back in the last couple years if I’d wanted to, but right now I’m satisfied playing a little golf and just kind of hanging out and spending time with the family.”

He said he was not surprised to see that option plays and schemes have been implemented in offenses even at the NFL level. Following his retirement from Tech at the end of the 2018 season, Johnson spent time with the Baltimore Ravens to offer his input on installing option elements for quarterback Lamar Jackson.

Back