Paul Johnson - Hall of Famer

Not really. He was a lock imo. Dude accomplished a lot. National championships; national coach of the year; etc. The way he turned around Navy, was incredible, and probably what gets him in more than anything. His resume is tremendous.
And to think that TFG passed that snarky shade on CPJ his first year. What a douche.

Love him, like him, dislike him, ambivalent to him, he does need a PJ Day during an upcoming Tech game for his induction.
Maybe we'll finally put Roddy's run to the hedges back in the pre-game highlights too.

Perhaps his greatest contribution to the game was the development of his triple-option scheme and his play-calling acumen with it. While often derided as a “high school offense,” the offense was the foundation of championship-winning runs at Georgia Southern, Navy and Tech over a 22-year head-coaching career. With Johnson at the helm, Georgia Southern won back-to-back FCS national championships (1999-2000), Navy rebounded from a 1-20 record in the two seasons before his arrival to winning five consecutive Commander-in-Chief Trophies after not having won any in 22 seasons and Tech reached bowl-game heights it had not attained since the 1960′s. He finished his career with a record of 190-99 as a head coach.

One of the best Xs and Os coaches I’ve ever seen. I was a fan before he ever came to GT, and was thrilled when he became our coach. He’s a no-doubt Hall of Famer and I’m glad the prejudice against his offense didn’t stop him from getting in on the first ballot.

I've posted this before but it may bear repeating. PJ had taken the Navy job and right after that, O'Leary takes the Notre Dame job, leaving the GT job open.
Me: "If you had waited another day, maybe you coulda gotten the Tech job."
PJ: "They can get me from Navy just as easily as they can get me from Georgia Southern."

I read that to mean that 1) he would love to coach at Tech and 2) somebody had already talked to him about it. He and GOL had the same agent, Jack Reale.

Back