Paul Johnson - Hall of Famer

The very first thing Collins did on the first play of his first spring game at GT is have us line up in CPJ's flexbone alignment and then shift out of it and run a play. Collins can DIAF.
Remember his BS explanation about that?

Heard a few other things from his Zoom call with media.
He'd live in Statesboro if it were warmer in the winter there.
His daughter is teaching voice classes at Grand Canyon University and is working on her PhD, so she may be leaving her opera career soon to start a family - which means he might be a grandfather in a couple of years. He said, "they tell me that's the best club to be in."

Yea, blah, blah, blah....it was a tribute to his legacy or I was honoring him or some BS

I mean, I don’t believe much of what Collins ever said, but it’s plausible to me that it was intended as a tribute or at worst a visual indication that we were changing systems. It’s way down the list of things to be butthurt at Collins about.

JRjr

I mean, I don’t believe much of what Collins ever said, but it’s plausible to me that it was intended as a tribute or at worst a visual indication that we were changing systems. It’s way down the list of things to be butthurt at Collins about.

JRjr
The "biggest transition in college football in the last 40 years" is a good place to start, IMPO. The clear implication is that his predecessor was running a hopelessly obsolete system.

Well, that coach just got elected to the CF HoF.

JRjr
Seeing and hearing what clown just outright lied about or tried to get away with it, it was simply the first in a long line of BS spewing from that sewer pipe in his face

JRjr

I didn't think it was a slight at the time at all. But with the Collins was a douche revelations that keep coming out, who knows?

I didn't think it was a slight at the time at all. But with the Collins was a douche revelations that keep coming out, who knows?

It's not like we have nothing to go on across multiple realms. With his body of work he has legitimately burned up his credibility to such an extent that he deserves exactly zero benefits of the doubt - this is the net result of what he has earned. Anything else is pollyanishly naïve. "But maybe he's actually a good guy, or etc...". No, he's arrogant, he's dishonest, he's self righteous and he's an asshole.

The very first thing Collins did on the first play of his first spring game at GT is have us line up in CPJ's flexbone alignment and then shift out of it and run a play. Collins can DIAF.
with a pass to a tight end. Didn't see a lot game impact TE play after that.
back on topic..
CPJ -Well deserved!! I-miss watching you destroy our opponents on the Flats.

Well-deserved entry and gave us a few great years. Bringing up the failings of others in his celebratory thread is poor form so I’ll leave it at that.

For my experience observing his 11 yrs at GT in settings ranging from being a student in 2010-2012 (kicked out in ‘00 came back after a long and winding road; c/o 12), my various living rooms, a ‘behind the scenes’ facilities tour in ~2011 where he scolded me for my phone going off, away games, my seasonal home in the Lower East since ‘07… I don’t think there are many more genuine people than CPJ that live/have lived in the public eye. In every setting he’s the same dude. Interviews, call in shows, aforementioned fan interactions, caught-on-can-sideline reactions (WTFISTHAT.gif vs UNC). That’s really hard to do in my esteem. öööö up and you get called on it but consistently. Do well, truly well and you get honest praise. Honest and deserved praise is a really tough thing to come by anymore. All things that are less cheapen the genuine article. He was and is a genuine article.

While crass at times, I never felt he was above humility. While fiery in the moment, I never thought he operated outside of real care for his team. He was a phenomenal representative of our beloved Ma Tech. He was also, like GT alumni are particularly capable of being, tactfully snarky about what he KNEW. He always seemed to know what he was about, win or lose. He ööööing fit in.

That confidence can grate. But he earned it and owned it and there’s surely some chicken and the egg stuff there for the soft sciences to sift through. This is where I say long story short and you realize I’m already there and WTF am I even talking about. Paul Johnson is amazingly well-deserved of this rightful honor and I’m damned glad that he took up the mantle of one of the harder jobs in CFB and took us all on a really fun ride. Anyone who wants to talk öööö about him can eat a sack lunch off his (and my much more available) taint.

PS: for the lunch on the taint thing, I’ll be on row 19 of section 123 next year between seats 1-6. HMU

I like what you typed about him fitting in. That is well said. He was outthinking most of the coaches on opposing sidelines and both he and they knew it. He was supremely confident and came off a bit arrogant and snarky. That is quintessential GA Tech right there. I think it is one reason why he is so beloved. Winning a lot of games on big stages didn't hurt either. Regardless of his perception, he had the respect in the football world as being an SME on option ball.

Beyond all that, his system, run well, was nigh on unstoppable. The rules were being changed in ways that hurt his system, IMPO, but he wouldn't back down.

I like what you typed about him fitting in. That is well said. He was outthinking most of the coaches on opposing sidelines and both he and they knew it. He was supremely confident and came off a bit arrogant and snarky. That is quintessential GA Tech right there. I think it is one reason why he is so beloved. Winning a lot of games on big stages didn't hurt either. Regardless of his perception, he had the respect in the football world as being an SME on option ball.

Beyond all that, his system, run well, was nigh on unstoppable. The rules were being changed in ways that hurt his system, IMPO, but he wouldn't back down.
Hopefully Coach Key will use him as a resource going forward.

Hopefully Coach Key will use him as a resource going forward.
I know Key has a completely different offense to run in mind. But PJ can break down an opponent's defense on film like nobody's business. He can also pick apart an offense on film, too. So from that standpoint, and from a game management standpoint, I hope Key does try to turn to PJ for some guidance.

Back