Paul Johnson will be named Head Football Coach

So, we get Johnson, the reincarnation of Chan Gailey, we lose Tenuta and we get to pay off Gailey.

What a brilliant move.

Just as brilliant as your post.

C'mon, man, there's no basis for you saying this.

Re: This is from a boardmember....Tenuta is probably

bb yes its near true about PJ...i can post again

Geoff collins may be back as well in some fashion. keep an eye out for that too.

I heard that about Collins. I'm afraid that we trade. d Drad for PJ, Giff and Collins though. This looks to me to be a big slap in the face to him.

Just wanted to say I would support Paul Johnson. It is ridiculous to say "GT football died today". What a stupid, stupid thing to say. God, we're bashing our coach before he's even our coach.

giff smith will most likely take over.

PJ + Giff would make me REALLY happy. I hope Giff has picked up enough of the Tenuta scheme to keep the sacks coming.

Actually, I will send flowers. GT football died today.

LOL. This is a joke right?

Whoo boy. Please let me know who you would have hired so we can see if

a.) his HC measures up to PJ's performance over the next few years

or

b.) everybody else is too stupid to see that he would be a great BCS league HC.

Will be fun to follow for sure.

Let the man coach a game before we throw him to the wolves.

When he does coach a game at GT, it will be his first game as a coach in any position for a big time program. Then again, maybe he still will not be coaching on behalf of big time program, because GT has officially ceased to be a big time program.

We need to schedule all of the service academies, a couple of Div. 1-AA programs, and some other cupcakes.

PJ + Giff would make me REALLY happy. I hope Giff has picked up enough of the Tenuta scheme to keep the sacks coming.

If we bring Geoff Collins back in some fashion, that's a double bonus. You are talking about 2 ace recruiters in Giff and Geoff.

When he does coach a game at GT, it will be his first game as a coach in any position for a big time program. Then again, maybe he still will not be coaching on behalf of big time program, because GT has officially ceased to be a big time program.

We need to schedule all of the service academies, a couple of Div. 1-AA programs, and some other cupcakes.

You can hire the biggest name out there, it doesn't guarantee success.

If we bring Geoff Collins back in some fashion, that's a double bonus. You are talking about 2 ace recruiters in Giff and Geoff.

Add Paul Johnson with deep South Ga. roots and the folks over in Athens are sweating right now...:fingersx:

Giff didn't play for Paul because he was a defensive player and PJ was Erk's OC. They were there at the same time.

PJ's defenses at GSU were pretty good, but they've always been his weekness at Navy. He just can't recruit players on D that can compete with many of the high powered offenses they face at a service academy. You simply can't do it. Besides he lost almost all of his D from last year, and many of the D starters this season got injured. He was basically left with scout team talent as starters on defense this season.

It's different on offense because the option he runs at Navy is an equalizer. The offense he runs there is different from the one he ran at GSU. The GSU version was much, much faster, as the skill players he could recruit at GSU were more talented than what he's got at Navy. He always had six or eight skill position kids at GSU who could run 4.4 or less in the 40. His QBs there all ran under 4.4.

PJ will recruit the smart kids. Don't worry about that. But he will find the fastest players he can, because he's all about offensive speed. What he has done with the players he's had at Navy is remarkable. I'd bet my paycheck that his NC GSU teams would have beat them by 20 or more.

Don't worry guys. GT will be in good hands with PJ. He'll run an offense that will be exciting, and he'll find the right guy to run his defense too. It may be Giff if he thinks he's ready. I'm confident that he'll keep him on the staff if Giff wants to stay.

If you look up and down the BCS school list, you will find that there are far more good offenses than there are good defenses. Look for him to put an offense on the field that scores 30 or 40 every game. If the D can hold their own every week, GT will win a lot of games under Johnson.

One other thing. PJ absolutely HATES TO LOSE!!! He takes it personally, and will always say that any loss is his fault.

Also, IF dRad was to bail because we didn't hire Muschamp, who cares? He'd be a whiny idiot in that case. This was a gift to him from a career standpoint. If PJ fails he will look like a genius and he will get to hire his man for sure soon enough. If PJ succeeds he will look like a genius.

I apologize in advance for being a skeptic, but I'd be willing to bet that Muschamp will not have a HC job better than GT in 2011. It will be fun to see...

Actually, I will send flowers. GT football died today.

Wait, what?

GT football died today because we didn't hire MUSCHAMP?

Christ dude, a week ago less than a quarter of Stingtalk wanted Muschamp as our HC, and now because a young, unproven dude with no HC experience didn't make it through the vetting process GT football is DEAD?

Burn your yellow flags and delete your posting account, if you feel that strongly about it. Personally, I'm going to root my team on with the 2004 Bobby Dodd NCAA Coach of the Year as my new head coach, or if he doesn't get the job, then whoever else does, even Muschamp.

We were lucky enough to have a big list of good candidates. Any one of them could be a good HC. You had to know some idiots would claim the end of the world as soon as one got picked, based on unsubstantiated rumor and handwaving freakoutery. We are Tech fans, after all.

Sheesh.

So, we get Johnson, the reincarnation of Chan Gailey, we lose Tenuta and we get to pay off Gailey.

What a brilliant move.

PJ is a big improvement over CG...I'm not sure if he is the one to light a fire under the fan base, but he could out-coach CG with half his brain tied behind his back...He will win here if he indeed is named the head coach...and even if JT leaves the staff as a whole will be better...CG was loyal to a FAULT!!!!

If it makes anyone feel better, firepauljohnson.com is already taken - was registered last year, so it is either someone related to GT who was really in the know, or someone from navy wanted him gone? Either way, doubt it was a buzzoffer :)

Registrant:
thomas pace
3450 acy lowery rd
pace, Florida 32571
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: FIREPAULJOHNSON.COM
Created on: 28-Nov-06
Expires on: 28-Nov-07
Last Updated on: 05-Nov-07

Back