Post Game discussion thread

Was a complete coaching failure starting with Tuesday when we got ranked.
Never understood the ranking. FSU is verifiably terrible and we were supposed to be at GSU which kept it close in the first half. I think our guys may have believed the rankings a little too much.

I can not figure out for the life of me, in all of football, why there is such a thing as a 2 minute offense.

Why in the hell would you wait till you are time crunched and behind to press the gas and make plays. Run the 2 minute offense starting at kickoff, then when you get up 4 scores you can switch to this other öööö we run for 50 minutes.

Never made sense in at any level in any league.

Would love to have seen better clock management, but the reality is that we lost this one on defense. We forced ONE punt the entire game. That is going to result in a loss almost every time.

McCord was just way too comfortable in there. Very little pressure, and when we did get through, there was always someone open for him. Good QBs will carve us up every time if we play like that going forward.

Love the way the team continues to fight in games regardless of the situation. Seems to be a staple of the Key era.

The pass defense was so, so bad. Just pitch and catch out there for Syracuse for most of the game. A bit of a reality check game.

Faulkner has called better games. He will call better games in the future. Don't think we have to worry about him going anywhere...

Key still makes a lot of head-scratching decisions relating to time management and penalties. Going conservative before halftime while ALSO calling timeout on 4th down with 13 seconds left near midfield was perplexing, even if it worked out to put us into FG range. The process was just bad. The decision to decline the penalty and not force Cuse into 2nd and 20+ deep in their own territory was also bad. Could understand it if we were out of timeouts, or only had one, but we had all three. Did not make any sense and it bit us. Right now we're not good enough for those decisions to carry enough weight to cost us a playoff bid or anything, but if we progress as a program, at some point they might.

Showed a lot of grit and never gave up. Cuse carved us up and stopped our run game they deserved to win. I don't see many ACC schools stopping Kyle McCord

Love the way the team continues to fight in games regardless of the situation. Seems to be a staple of the Key era.

The pass defense was so, so bad. Just pitch and catch out there for Syracuse for most of the game. A bit of a reality check game.

Faulkner has called better games. He will call better games in the future. Don't think we have to worry about him going anywhere...

Key still makes a lot of head-scratching decisions relating to time management and penalties. Going conservative before halftime while ALSO calling timeout on 4th down with 13 seconds left near midfield was perplexing, even if it worked out to put us into FG range. The process was just bad. The decision to decline the penalty and not force Cuse into 2nd and 20+ deep in their own territory was also bad. Could understand it if we were out of timeouts, or only had one, but we had all three. Did not make any sense and it bit us. Right now we're not good enough for those decisions to carry enough weight to cost us a playoff bid or anything, but if we progress as a program, at some point they might.
Good quality kids they are, they keep fighting for 60 minutes.

End of the first half was an absolute debacle. Just horrific game management. End of the game was a crapshoot but predictable result with the way our coverage was all game
Key stutter steps when expected conditions change. Hopefully the mistakes there let him develop “what if…” contingency plans.

Tough to know. Playcall could very well be different for 2nd and 25 compared to 3rd and 10, especially late game. They may decide to run it to force us to use more timeouts or take time off the clock.
But we didn't really show any ability to stop anything Syracuse threw at us all day long. I like my odds much better defending against 2nd and 20 versus a 3rd and 10. In the end it didn't matter, but imo situational awareness was not considered at that moment.

1. The team came out looking out of sync and discombobulated. Motions weren't timed up, snaps weren't on time, defense wasn't getting set. I don't know how you can account for that other than the players getting looks they weren't prepared for and not knowing how to react.
  2. The offense clearly came expecting a different outcome with our run game. We got absolutely whooped by their DL and that makes no sense to me. Hopefully the coaches can look at the tape and figure out what the hell happened there, but we had no answers or adjustments to that throughout the game.
  3. Our defensive game plan was trash. We kept putting our LBs on islands in coverage throughout the first half. I think the second half was called better, but only slightly.
  4. McCord is legit. Syracuse might be ranked by the end of the year.
  5. Eric Singleton Jr needs to be found in our offense. We've got to find a way to get the ball in his hands better.
  6. #7 on our defense had a good game.
  7. We seem to have better ball security this year. We need to start forcing some turnovers on defense.
  8. Good job special teams. Heck of a game to keep us in it.

But we didn't really show any ability to stop anything Syracuse threw at us all day long. I like my odds much better defending against 2nd and 20 versus a 3rd and 10. In the end it didn't matter, but imo situational awareness was not considered at that moment.

Agree fully. I think it's up for discussion but I'm firmly on the side of accepting the penalty given how our D was playing.

Neither our pass rush nor coverage was tested the 1st two games. A competent QB sliced through our defense like paper.

This is going to be a long season. We will be lucky to make a bowl game with our schedule.

It was a fun two weeks though.

Eh. I think we beat VMI, VPI, Duke UNC at minimum and tossups vs UL and NC State

Back