Post Game discussion thread

I think a lot of teams will take note of the film on this game. You can't let McCord stand back in the pocket or else he'll pick you apart.
We'll see what happens, lots of football left this year. Unfortunately outside of VMI and potentially Duke, we have a tough ass road ahead

Because the 2 minute offense pretty much abandons the run and focuses on plays that lead the receiver out if bounds.

That's not something you want to do for an entire game.
It's not about the play calling so much as it is the urgency and desire to score. For instance, the team made more meaningful plays in the last 10 minutes on offense than they did the entire rest of the game.

That's not a gameplan but a mindset. Mind should be rite from 15:00 in the 1st.

Team loss if there ever was one. Defense, coaches, offense, kicker
Kicker redeemed himself somewhat…but that miss was big. He shouldn’t have been in that position though. Key wasn’t ready for the opportunity that presented itself after the blocked punt.

We were also out coached; Syracuse came out with a sense of urgency and going for it on fourth down. We punted early on 4th and short and the en played for a FG before half.
When we did finally go for it late in the game we went no huddle and handed it to our 4th string RB when our RBs had left than 15 yards rushing in the game.

I can not figure out for the life of me, in all of football, why there is such a thing as a 2 minute offense.

Why in the hell would you wait till you are time crunched and behind to press the gas and make plays. Run the 2 minute offense starting at kickoff, then when you get up 4 scores you can switch to this other öööö we run for 50 minutes.

Never made sense in at any level in any league.
Complementary football. It’s a proven, winning strategy.

Kicker redeemed himself somewhat…but that miss was big. He shouldn’t have been in that position though. Key wasn’t ready for the opportunity that presented itself after the blocked punt.
He waited 15 seconds to send the unit on the field and they had to rush their setup, looked foolish. What else could you possibly have been thinking to do there with King on the field still with 25 seconds on the play clock

Complementary football. It’s a proven, winning strategy.

I don't think that can be proven. But even if so, like I said, run it in reverse. Show me the points and we'll compliment it by not scoring for awhile.

The 'Cuse qb is probably the best we will see all season, receivers were good too. Looks like we could have won but all in all not as bad as some think it is. Think the Orange will be tough for anyone on their schedule.
On to a VMI win & get ready for L'ville.

Showed a lot of grit and never gave up. Cuse carved us up and stopped our run game they deserved to win. I don't see many ACC schools stopping Kyle McCord
This is where I’m at. There are probably more established defenses in the conference who can better pressure him but we knew coming into this season we weren’t one of those.

Defense is showing incremental improvement. Offense still looked competent, even if it wasn’t their best day. Special teams were vastly improved. Disappointing outcome today but I’m still very encouraged by what I see.

Boy, Tulane got hosed by the officials. Called a pick on the Tulane WR when he was being hit by the DB coming off the LOS. Got the tying TD called back. Horrible call …

The 'Cuse qb is probably the best we will see all season, receivers were good too. Looks like we could have won but all in all not as bad as some think it is. Think the Orange will be tough for anyone on their schedule.
On to a VMI win & get ready for L'ville.
I disagree Syracuse sucks they will lose 4 more even with their easy schedule

This is where I’m at. There are probably more established defenses in the conference who can better pressure him but we knew coming into this season we weren’t one of those.

Defense is showing incremental improvement. Offense still looked competent, even if it wasn’t their best day. Special teams were vastly improved. Disappointing outcome today but I’m still very encouraged by what I see.
Hoping this is an outlier game, but you can't say anything positive about the defense today or that there is any improvement over last year, they got absolutely shredded

It's not about the play calling so much as it is the urgency and desire to score. For instance, the team made more meaningful plays in the last 10 minutes on offense than they did the entire rest of the game.

That's not a gameplan but a mindset. Mind should be rite from 15:00 in the 1st.
That's been the line I've heard from them in every interview and presser, but they didn't show that focus today except in flashes of the first three quarters and a too-late stretch of the fourth. The challenge the team has given itself now is to play focused for 60 minutes. If they do that we can still win any game on our slate. Most teams can't do that for a season, but it's what you have to do if you want to play for championships and we are still in the running for all of them.

But we didn't really show any ability to stop anything Syracuse threw at us all day long. I like my odds much better defending against 2nd and 20 versus a 3rd and 10. In the end it didn't matter, but imo situational awareness was not considered at that moment.
I thought it made sense to roll the dice on making one 10 yard stop vs. having to make two stops over 20 yards. It’s debatable, at the very least.

Other than Birr missing another field goal, special teams was awesome. Kept
Us in the game.

I thought it made sense to roll the dice on making one 10 yard stop vs. having to make two stops over 20 yards. It’s debatable, at the very least.
Backing them up and forcing them to put the ball in the air two times should have been the call. I understand declining it considering how bad our D was today.

Need much better players. Hopefully they’re coming.

I could go either way, but lean this way as well, especially given the clock was stoppped. If we accept the penalty and it is 2nd and 22, we are going to play soft and they are going to throw undenewth and get about half of it. Then your back to 3rd and 8-15 with the clock running.

Hoping this is an outlier game, but you can't say anything positive about the defense today or that there is any improvement over last year, they got absolutely shredded

We still don't know where this team is overall. Unfortunately FSU is appearing to be a dumpster fire, and I'll buy the fact GSU has us circled all off season. Expecting VMI to be a slaughter, otherwise we wait for the Louisville game for real insight.

Back