Post-Game: What Positives Should We Take Away from the Game?

Positives that I got from the game:
- Yates has heart and is a gamer even if he doesn’t have all the tools we need to win games
- We CAN run the ball effectively between the tackles…only when Coach P actually decides to stick to it
- If 404theculture is just Waffle House and great hype videos, I guess I can get behind those two things

Probably be more KSU fans at Grant Field next week than there are Tech fans. A win means everything to KSU and nothing for GT. Amazes me that Collins makes about 35% more per year than CPJ made. Piss poor ROI.

I'll never understand the idea behind scheduling the likes of NIU and KSU to begin a football season. Winning those games are something that is supposed to occur, but losing brings out ALL of the sore points being stated by the fanbase on ST at the current time. If you're going to lose, lose against somone that is perceived to be better.

I'm not really trying to talk about specific metrics or coaches, just pointing out that there is a logical problem in deferring the decision to someone who appears to be in large part responsible for the issue. You were comforted by the idea that certain people would right the ship, but if what you say about their involvement levels is true, they also hit the sandbar.

I don't really know what to make of the situation, and I'm waiting for next week's game to teach me a few more things. I'm certainly not a happy fan, but I have trouble discerning football truths. Seems like whenever I get a peak into the world where facts reside and people can explain their reasoning, everything is so much different than it looks from the stands.
I agree next week is the turning point. If we win, there is a chance the season can be saved. If we lose, changes need to be made immediately. Unfortunately there are few options available mid-season other than promoting from within.

I'll never understand the idea behind scheduling the likes of NIU and KSU to begin a football season. Winning those games are something that is supposed to occur, but losing brings out ALL of the sore points being stated by the fanbase on ST at the current time. If you're going to lose, lose against somone that is perceived to be better.

Do you suppose the melt would have been less had we come out against a UNC and lost by 50? (Playing like we did yesterday, that's what would have happened)

I agree next week is the turning point. If we win, there is a chance the season can be saved. If we lose, changes need to be made immediately. Unfortunately there are few options available mid-season other than promoting from within.

If we lose next week, I can't imagine what will suffice to get us on the right track. Leaving the arrow in will prevent the wound from healing, pulling it out will bleed us to death.

I'd like to see us win by 5 TDs and not have to think about these things.

I assume they were scheduled by one of our previous under performing AD's. Until we improve significantly our out of conference games need to be against the weakest and least expensive out of state teams possible.
We are not the only team with stupid scheduling. Vandy got blown out yesterday by East Tennessee State.

I don’t fault people for missing on the hire. Collins sold high energy, love for GT, and national relevance. It’s what the fans wanted coming out of the CPJ era and he hit it. I fault the contract structure. A seven year lock in is looking like a good competitor for the Hewitt disaster as the worst contract in school history.

If I could go back in time and do it myself I would have tied the buyout to performance. Guy tells me we will be in the playoff in 7 years? I get to tie his buyout to his win total. 2 wins in year 3? 2 million dollar buyout. Adios
Totally agree - I posted the following on ST in November 2019:
“ My main frustration about CGC is the deal we give an unproven HC where we take all the risk on a 7 year contract. I don’t blame him for wanting to give it a try and for selling himself as our savior.”
I’ve probably posted my misgivings about Collins’ contract a half dozen times, never made sense to me. I finally decided the decision makers are somehow smarter than me and know what they’re doing.

If we lose next week, I can't imagine what will suffice to get us on the right track. Leaving the arrow in will prevent the wound from healing, pulling it out will bleed us to death.

I'd like to see us win by 5 TDs and not have to think about these things.

After reading the Homer Rice piece on the AJC, I think heads might actually roll if they lose to KSU. Collins will be safe. His coordinators will be very very very very unsafe.

Why do you think he's a good manager? I'm talking in-game management here. He wasted 2 timeouts and had a couple plays where we went out of bounds to kill the clock late. I haven't seen anything resembling good in-game management from Collins.
It's glaring. We've been overlooking it thus far looking forward to better results but it's starting to return to the shed. Kinda hard to face but unless Collins starts cutting bait with ALL and I mean ALL the losers on his staff his tenure at Tech is doomed. That's really all there is to it. These kids are not being coached to play D1 P5 football properly. They're at summer camp with Miss Geoff and Miss Patenaude, etc. drinking the koolaid. That's not gonna work.

It's glaring. We've been overlooking it thus far looking forward to better results but it's starting to return to the shed. Kinda hard to face but unless Collins starts cutting bait with ALL and I mean ALL the losers on his staff his tenure at Tech is doomed. That's really all there is to it. These kids are not being coached to play D1 P5 football properly. They're at summer camp with Miss Geoff and Miss Patenaude, etc. drinking the koolaid. That's not gonna work.

Agree completely. Some axes fall pretty easy (Patenaude, Thacker, Dixon). Some you better be certain they're not cut out for it anymore before you make a change given their track record (Coleman, Key). Some have done poorly but won't be easy to let go due to history (Glover, Cone). it isn't all bad though. Some are getting it done at such a high level even Stevie Wonder can see it: Choice and Caralla in particular.

Agree completely. Some axes fall pretty easy (Patenaude, Thacker, Dixon). Some you better be certain they're not cut out for it anymore before you make a change given their track record (Coleman, Key). Some have done poorly but won't be easy to let go due to history (Glover, Cone). it isn't all bad though. Some are getting it done at such a high level even Stevie Wonder can see it: Choice and Caralla in particular.
Patenaude is the easier replacement on the fly. Promote either Choice or Key.
I think Thacker has to stay until the end of the season although the DB's in particular seem to be going in the wrong direction.

If you think Collins really is as bad as many around here seem to, it looks quite difficult to find a backstop here.

His contract makes him (nearly) untouchable. I remember when he was hired, fans being a bit underwhelmed w/his coordinators. If the model is for Collins to be the recruiter, rah rah guy (like Dabo), then we need to get some high level coordinators. Much easier for the big $ guys to pony up for that and see what happens rather than buying out Collins in the next season or two.

His contract makes him (nearly) untouchable. I remember when he was hired, fans being a bit underwhelmed w/his coordinators. If the model is for Collins to be the recruiter, rah rah guy (like Dabo), then we need to get some high level coordinators. Much easier for the big $ guys to pony up for that and see what happens rather than buying out Collins in the next season or two.

Yes. The search for new top dollar coordinators and the cash to pay them should have started this morning.

I made an executive decision not to go to the dumpster fire that happened yesterday,thankful for that I guess

I will not make the same $250 and an entire day mistake I made yesterday again this season. But if the GTAA wants to hire some top dollar coordinators, let me know where to pay for my "tickets" the rest of the season.

Back