Predictions for the upcoming season?

I agree with 2 Big T's.......Auburn is one dimensional and will have at least 3 losses this year and Vandy will be tougher than expected. With that, I think a lot is possible and it depends on attitude. Could be 3-9 but I don't think that 7-5 is absolutely unreachable. All I know is that this is my first season as a season ticket holder and I'm doing my part to keep a bunch of rednecks (Auburn) out of our nice new looking stadium. I'll be there through the whole season cheering...no matter how man wins.

Originally posted by Damarius:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by The Jacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Damarius:
preditions are irrelivant
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Isn't that sorta what you made this thread for?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yes it is. Although I do indeed believe predictions are irrelivant, I also think it is fun to look at what GT supporters have to say about the upcoming season. As I do aslo.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Can see where you're coming from most definately.

Predictions don't mean anything. Where we are in the polls is important because of the system with bowls and such. With our stength of schedule things could change very fast this season.

Have to line up and play the game.

I don't blame fans for feeling any way they do good or bad. Can see reasons on both sides.

I personally look beyond the media for my outlook. I most certainly look beyong the message boards as well.

There is a lot of good thoughts on this thread. Appreciate you laying it out there.

Like what AXE had to say. There are keys to every season. A big one is QB. There are others.

We'll line up and play the games. How our RF and TF play will be a key.

Another big thing is team chemistry and how the season plays out with injuries.

I'm really looking forward to Provo and the rest of the season. I feel we can win. I'll give my prediction when I know more come two-a-days.

GO JACKETS!

Good to see you posting again GTT. Missed your posts. We should probably ALL reserve our predictions until after two a days.

In the meantime, keep your fingers crossed, pray, and support our coaches and players! They're all we've got!

grin.gif

I hate to sound like I'm always against Chan because I'm not. But there will be no free passes this year and as for this not being his fault? I don't understand that was it not his fault in Athens???

Patriot - not that you asked me (but it never stopped me from commenting in the past
tongue.gif
)

I think Athens is a very legitamate question.

Not to start another Chan thread - I think there were some very positive things about last year, and some horribly negative.

We were absolutley playing with smoke-and-mirrors in our offensive backfield last year, once Hollings went down.

I think on the offensive side of the ball, we had obviously a certain game plan with Hollings in the mix - an NFL style 1 back offense, that could be very effective. Given the talent of Hollings and our new QB, this was the right game plan.

Once Hollings went down, I think the staff did everything to find a new game plan. They went from using a true RS in Ace (and being successful), utilizing a pass-to-set-up-the-run game plan. Of course, Ace was injured as well (albeit not to the extent of Hollings). It then took the staff a while to find another option in Clinkscales (a kid that had not seen 20 snaps on offense in 4 years). A completely different type of gameplan - spread it out with the single back. And they had success with this.

I think Chan had the right game plan, and kids prepared for UVA, NC State, BYU, and F$U. We outplanned and IMO outcoached all of those teams. Of course for F$U, we failed to execute on 3 plays in particular. But the gameplan was the right one.

We were not prepared for Maryland (we had just lost Ace for a bit, and had not yet settled on the spread with Clinkscales), or UGA

Wake and Clemson were the swing games - IMO the Clemson game was as bad of a gameplan as they had all year - Bowden almost gave it to us anyways, but Clemson should not have been in the game. Wake was more of an execution game, IMO.

The one thing that stands out is the UGA game - how the players packed it in. Are Chan and staff responsible - absolutely - I don't think they had any idea that the kids would roll over like that. I think this was part of the "learning curve" that, like it or not, was to be expected for a guy who had not been around Div 1 college game in over 20 years.

Overall, were it not for the UGA game, I would have had to say the staff did a *good* job overall last year, with all the adversity and expected learning of new staff, etc (remember, O'leary's last year we went 7-5 in reg season, without the newness of the entire staff, not nearly the injuries, etc).

But the UGA game sticks out - it cannot be washed away. Will that game be the watershed game that F$U in 92 turned out to be for Bill Lewis? Or will it be more like UGA in '94 for O'leary? Only time will tell - but I think we will have a very good idea by the 3rd week of the season.

All in one idiots opinion, of course.

Patriot, it should be obvious to everyone, many of the players quit on the team in the Georgia and Fresno State game.

What if you are the head coach and your offensive coordinator did not see eye to eye on the offense. What if he had been there for five years and it was your first year. What if some of the players were partial to him instead of yourself, a newcomer.

Can you see the potential for the players being smmpathetic to your offensive coordinator, and maybe you did not have the influence to change their behavior for your first year?

Would you want to have a chance to change the coordinator, bring in your own coordinator, recruit some more players loyal to you, get rid of some seniors taking a stance against you, and giving you another year to right the ship?

Did you not see the players had folded their hand in the last two games? With the right attitude of the players, coaches loyal to Gailey in charge of the offense, I can see the possibility of a total reversal in the outcome of games this year.

I heard Gailey speak recently, and he made a statement that is very true. He said the one major factor in football is unity. He claims it is more important than any other aspect of the team. He said, "all the coaches and all the players must be on the same page and striving for the same objectives".

Of course, he did not say that was the reason we have new offensive coordinators, but I can certainly see some things on my own.

I noted another change Gailey made during the off season. He removed the defensive backfield coach and Tenuta has taken over that role along with being the DC.

That may not seem like much, but it might have a big effect on overall defense. The defensive backfield coach for last year may be a very good one, but have a different philosophy of that position than Tenuta.

Tenuta's overall defensive philosophy may require his own style of defensive backfield play. Thus, it is possible, we may see more unity in the entire defense this coming year. I have a feeling Tenuta requested the change for unity in defense and Gailey agreed with him.

You should be able to visualize yourself in those same situations. Think about it.

wink.gif

save this thread so we can compare our real record to what people have predicted.

Originally posted by Damarius:
anybody remember this?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Looks like 2BigTechsticles needs to get his nakes a$$ outside the varsity.
laugh.gif

yeah i had said that i would be looking for this thread at the end of the season.

read the thread from the first post on and you'll see how this guy called 2BigTechsticles just bashes folk.

there's one particular post he makes saying .. well at the end of the season you can come and and say you were dead on 2BT and he would reply with a "thanks buddy"

lol

2-10 season huh 2BT with 2 blocked punts in every game huh.

oh he also gives props to all those prognosticators in the media which would include the ACC reporters who picked us to finish 8th in the conference saying that they know much more than we do.

really 2BT?

oh and the kicker is how he predicts how the Frdige would come into BDS on national TV thursday night and kick our ass and how Gailey would be fired mid season.

FIRE GAILEY NOW!

This post is beautiful. Many thanks for bringing this back. Some of you have a knack for seeing the future. Some of you should be ashamed of yourself.

They should definitly be ashamed. I love GT football and CHAN. He is great. I got to shake his hand after the Thursday night game.

--Randall Ray Culbertson
--A GT Freshman
--Thanks GT Defense. Y'all got us the win against Maryland here. Let's go team. We gotta get the next one at the Dukies.

Originally posted by 33jacket:
Ms Tech Analysis should Haul Arse too. I don't miss her.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Does anyone know the post/chain where BDG eats some crow. GOD do I love throwing this back in those peoples faces. This is the ultimate. Chan is kinda doing it to the media too....in a classy way though (by winning and showing the enthusiasm). Heck I think after the Auburn game he even challenged the reporters. This is developing into one of my favorite Tech seasons of all time.

Nevermind, found the BDG post. Classy...I like the fact he admitted being wrong and will support the coach. Unfortunately, where he truly messed up, is he should always support Tech even though he might not agree with who is in charge. Useless jabs at people only weaken the Tech fanbase.

2big....Bet you could retract some of your posts on this board now eh? You should be asshamed. I am asshamed just to call you a Tech fan! Great Job so far Gaily, and team...lets keep it up, goin to PUke, DO NOT LOOK PAST THEM!!!!

I can show up to take it. I was wrong. Dead wrong and am glad to be so.

Not ashamed for making my prediction. It's how I felt at the time.

Some of you wanting to crucify me sure know how to do so behind your keyboard. If you have a real issue with my post and want to cast your stones and bold statements in person, I'm at AMC, as always. Hope you'll drop by.

Go Jackets.

Originally posted by 2 Big Techsticles:
I can show up to take it. I was wrong. Dead wrong and am glad to be so.

Not ashamed for making my prediction. It's how I felt at the time.

Some of you wanting to crucify me sure know how to do so behind your keyboard. If you have a real issue with my post and want to cast your stones and bold statements in person, I'm at AMC, as always. Hope you'll drop by.

Go Jackets.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Actualy I would like to meet you guys? I tailgate there too and didn't know any Stingtalkers were there in force. Where are you usually parked?

Back