Program Resets: 2020 Edition

gtrower

Dodd-Like
This makes me curious. Do FSU boards have threads on Jeff Sims to this day? Do uga boards have threads on Justin Fields to this day?

'cause my popcorn is ready
The week after the FSU game there were several Sims threads on the fsu board. They fizzled out after Sims started leading the nation in turnovers.

Think it’s too painful for uga fans to rehash what could have been with Fields. I don’t think he’d be a Heisman contender in their offense. But they’d probably be the best team in the country right now if they hadn’t run him off.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
GT. Nebraska. Michigan. Tennessee. One of these is not like the others.

I do think we can rebound, but not as quickly as a "flagship" school can. Those schools are located in areas without as much HS talent. We are in one of the top 3 -5 talent producing states but have other obstacles to overcome. No need to rehash those here.
And two of the four are in the frozen tundra.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry

How are we spending our time this week?

Playing kickball, wiffle ball, and dodge ball.

Neat-o.
Part of me is with you if you are like "um, from where I sit we need to practice football", but to be fair does "playing games" make sense if you are considering this a marathon, not a sprint? It does.

We are not at the point in this rebuild where a day or three of practice here or there will be the difference between championships or not.

The long term goal here is not 7-5. If it was, then yeah, wiffleball is stupid. If the long term goal is championships, step one is recruiting, and a happy roster and program is very important for us for recruiting. (Maybe not for everyone, but certainly for us).

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
Part of me is with you if you are like "um, from where I sit we need to practice football", but to be fair does "playing games" make sense if you are considering this a marathon, not a sprint? It does.

We are not at the point in this rebuild where a day or three of practice here or there will be the difference between championships or not.

The long term goal here is not 7-5. If it was, then yeah, wiffleball is stupid. If the long term goal is championships, step one is recruiting, and a happy roster and program is very important for us for recruiting. (Maybe not for everyone, but certainly for us).
This is basically our low budget version of the rich schools building water parks or game centers or w/e to impress recruits. We can't just money the fun so we do this.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Seems like I remember hearing about Dodd doing some unorthodox/fun practices. Whatever keeps the players engaged seems OK to me, especially when we finally month between games - this year is basically a freebie anyway.

JRjr

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
This makes me curious. Do FSU boards have threads on Jeff Sims to this day? Do uga boards have threads on Justin Fields to this day?

'cause my popcorn is ready
Do GT boards have threads on Vad Lee to this day?

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
Seems like I remember hearing about Dodd doing some unorthodox/fun practices. Whatever keeps the players engaged seems OK to me, especially when we finally month between games - this year is basically a freebie anyway.

JRjr
Volleyball and ballet.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
He could always bring in some camels for fun. They work cheap. And it has been done before.

camels.jpeg

Old-Fashioned UGA Hater

Varsity Lurker

JRjr
I remember reading that Dodd took heavy criticism for having his team play volleyball on the beach in Miami the day before the Orange Bowl. He was known as you mention to mix things up in practice to not become stale. For instance, at the end of practices the boys would sometimes have punting competitions where the players would try to hit a trash can. Obviously this wasn't just for the punters. All players and even Dodd would compete.

I know Collins does "fun" things a bunch and I could see how one could criticize this when one can argue they need to be practicing extra points but I really think CGC can not only sell that he's a player's coach but he can also sell that his football teams have fun too. I think that goes a long way when a young man is leaving the household for the first time and he's making a four or five year commitment and his choices for football programs have narrowed.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Kinda. Michigan and GT have finished in the Top 10 the same number of times in the past decade – once. Neither Nebraska nor Tennessee have finished in the Top 10 in almost 20 years (2001 for both).

The "factory" schools are like real life factories. They don't produce good product unless they have good employees, good managers, good materials, good operations, etc. Tech's less different from the "factories" than people like to pretend.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.

I do think we can rebound, but not as quickly as a "flagship" school can. Those schools are located in areas without as much HS talent. We are in one of the top 3 -5 talent producing states but have other obstacles to overcome. No need to rehash those here.
We now have a larger enrollment than UGAg. This isn't the 70's anymore. No more "obstacles" talk.

B

Jolly Good Fellow
We now have a larger enrollment than UGAg. This isn't the 70's anymore. No more "obstacles" talk.
I don't think we recruit from the student body. Our biggest obstacle, aside from years of mismanagement, imo is the narrow curriculum . I had a son accepted there. He wasn't sure of his major so he declined to attend there. Went to a similar size school (this has been 15 years ago) as Tech with a much broader range of majors. He did in fact get a STEM degree (not engineering) that he could have gotten at GT but hindsight is 20/20 and he has no regrets. So anyone who thinks the size of the curriculum isn't an issue is operating purely on speculation (which is par for the course here on the interweb).

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
uG has about double our undergrad enrollment. 2/3 of Tech's enrollment isn't even from the state.

Both are bigger obstacles than curriculum
Wrong. GT's undergrad enrollment passed UGAgs by several hundred