Program Resets: 2020 Edition

18in32

Petard Hoister
In fairness, they had a string of pretty bad coaches that exposed a program that has to have "sizzle" to attract out of state recruits as Nebraska does not have the high school talent of say... Georgia.
Sure, that was my original point. Having a lot of talent nearby is great... if they come to your school. Plenty of schools have succeeded without local talent bases, and plenty of schools have failed with them. Heck, plenty of schools have failed with great recruiting classes.

I definitely like the uptick in recruiting that we're seeing under CGC, but I'd much prefer eliminating procedure penalties, drama free place kicking, etc. Teams with poor talent can overachieve, but no amount of talent can make up for shooting yourself in the foot so much like we do.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
FSU is a bigger underdog to Clemson this week than Vanderbilt is to Florida.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

moochie

Varsity Lurker
Alright, Let's consolidate a list of the programs imploding and on the verge of purging coaching staffs.

So far, I have seen cases made for:

Michigan
Penn State
Florida State
no way franklin under fire yet, but one more year like this and possible. to this point he's successful up there. that said, miserable place to live in the winter, so don't know that it'd take to much for him to move. mich does nothing til offseason but I think this is it. norvell in place for a while but two more years like this and he'll be gone in 2022 midyear. and this throw-away year is a pure bullshit excuse. don't see the good coaches making excuses like losing ones....and many fan bases.

p5 conf teams always fall in love with the buxom blonde from group5 teams. 83.5% of the time it turns to öööö. (norvell, Fuentes, frost, etc). at some point someone is going to look at the p5 midlings that are running consistently strong programs.

to that point, the best hire in the world right now would be fitzgerald out of NW in the big ten!! clawson out of Wake or Campbell out of iowa state would come next. and I'm shocked texas or someone hasn't taken a run at Patterson out of TCU. guys that can build fairly consistent winners and occasional contenders in p5 conferences with mediocre talent every year should be pursued. the hot group 5 Memphis/ucf hires usually end up being a four year gap coach who does nothing to move the program forward.

my dos centavos.

This is Tucker

Medical redshirt poster

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
Part of me is with you if you are like "um, from where I sit we need to practice football", but to be fair does "playing games" make sense if you are considering this a marathon, not a sprint? It does.

We are not at the point in this rebuild where a day or three of practice here or there will be the difference between championships or not.

The long term goal here is not 7-5. If it was, then yeah, wiffleball is stupid. If the long term goal is championships, step one is recruiting, and a happy roster and program is very important for us for recruiting. (Maybe not for everyone, but certainly for us).
I hear this stuff and I think of this quote from the FSU article:

“Taggart was a players-first coach, hellbent on fixing Florida State football's culture. But when it came to the details, Taggart was the antithesis of Fisher's authoritarian style. There were makeshift practices that occasionally meant assistants didn't know what they were doing until they arrived on the field. Taggart allowed music to blare over the speakers at practice, perhaps the most publicly tangible departure from Fisher. Fans latched onto the gesture as symbolic of a lackadaisical approach that defined the team's game-day performance. Players soon began to revolt.”

Old-Fashioned UGA Hater

Varsity Lurker
Sure, that was my original point. Having a lot of talent nearby is great...
Sure, that was my original point. Having a lot of talent nearby is great... if they come to your school. Plenty of schools have succeeded without local talent bases, and plenty of schools have failed with them. Heck, plenty of schools have failed with great recruiting classes.

I definitely like the uptick in recruiting that we're seeing under CGC, but I'd much prefer eliminating procedure penalties, drama free place kicking, etc. Teams with poor talent can overachieve, but no amount of talent can make up for shooting yourself in the foot so much like we do.
Well you could also say that eliminating procedure penalties is an example of something a team can work to fix. You can't fix a lack of talent because of subpar recruiting. Do you think that CGC is just riding with the mistake prone QB this year because he'd rather reap the benefits in year two and three?

Also were you aware that the Bible was written before the French revolution?

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
I hear this stuff and I think of this quote from the FSU article:

“Taggart was a players-first coach, hellbent on fixing Florida State football's culture. But when it came to the details, Taggart was the antithesis of Fisher's authoritarian style. There were makeshift practices that occasionally meant assistants didn't know what they were doing until they arrived on the field. Taggart allowed music to blare over the speakers at practice, perhaps the most publicly tangible departure from Fisher. Fans latched onto the gesture as symbolic of a lackadaisical approach that defined the team's game-day performance. Players soon began to revolt.”
Who knows where this ends up, but CGC is the antithesis of "makeshift practices" so he is certainly no Taggert. He's way more authoritarian like Fischer.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Well you could also say that eliminating procedure penalties is an example of something a team can work to fix. You can't fix a lack of talent because of subpar recruiting. Do you think that CGC is just riding with the mistake prone QB this year because he'd rather reap the benefits in year two and three?

Also were you aware that the Bible was written before the French revolution?
Huh? You can fix it all. I’m old enough to remember the old Kansas State. If recruiting is subpar, you improve recruiting. If execution is subpar, you improve coaching of that. My worry is that execution doesn’t seem to be improving. I mean, when’s the last time you saw a team this inept on place kicking?

And I’m not following you on the French Revolution question.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
Huh? You can fix it all. I’m old enough to remember the old Kansas State. If recruiting is subpar, you improve recruiting. If execution is subpar, you improve coaching of that. My worry is that execution doesn’t seem to be improving. I mean, when’s the last time you saw a team this inept on place kicking?

The way I see, we got too many places that need fixing to focus on any one thing all that well right now. We got a true freshman QB, a defense that hasn't learned how to play well in a decade and an offensive line thats usually a guessing game on where it's going to fail. This is also while trying to improve that recruiting (during a kind of awkward state of the world for recruiting). Place kicking might just rank low on the priorities of what to fix.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
The way I see, we got too many places that need fixing to focus on any one thing all that well right now. We got a true freshman QB, a defense that hasn't learned how to play well in a decade and an offensive line thats usually a guessing game on where it's going to fail. This is also while trying to improve that recruiting (during a kind of awkward state of the world for recruiting). Place kicking might just rank low on the priorities of what to fix.
This post does not compute. We had a kicker that was perfect the year before CGC's arrival.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
This post does not compute. We had a kicker that was perfect the year before CGC's arrival.

It is puzzling and annoying that in watching about twenty college teams this weekend, every team had a kicker that could actually kick a field goal. Didn't matter if it was Arkansas State, UCF, Oklahoma or Pittsburgh. They didn't make them all, but they kicked the ball well, with trajectory and velocity. Shoot, one kid kicked two 53 yarders in the same game. I would definitely say we are doing something wrong.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like

I didn't even comment on what happened with the kicking. I was saying that a possible reason it has stayed borked is that we're considering it a low priority issue.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
I didn't even comment on what happened with the kicking. I was saying that a possible reason it has stayed borked is that we're considering it a low priority issue.
Hmm.

Ya know, we ought to hire some dude whose entire priority is the kicking game. That would be like all he did year round - just the kicking game. We couild call him a Special Teams coach. Whaddayathink?

GTCrew

Patrick Henry

All true, but way too early to lose sleep over subpar execution.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
What was there to fix after perfection? Why did it get borked after perfection?

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
Hmm.

Ya know, we ought to hire some dude whose entire priority is the kicking game. That would be like all he did year round - just the kicking game. We couild call him a Special Teams coach. Whaddayathink?
I'd say this is prolly want schools with money do with all those auxiliary coaches they collect.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
I'd say this is prolly want schools with money do with all those auxiliary coaches they collect.
Georgia Tech doesn't have money? Is that why the kicking game stinks? You mean if only Georgia Tech was rich like Georgia Southern then we could make field goals (12/16) and extra points (28/29)?

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
Georgia Tech doesn't have money? Is that why the kicking game stinks? You mean if only Georgia Tech was rich like Georgia Southern then we could make field goals (12/16) and extra points (28/29)?
I wasn't talking about any of that, neither was your quote exactly. Talking about special teams coaches and how teams with more money have extra "coaches" beyond the normal limit. We probably have people like that too, dont know if any are for kicking. Kind of as you said, there prolly isnt correlation between having special coaches and kicking well.