Question About Tech and BIG 10

What's working against us is our president's foolish public pronouncement a few weeks ago about our desire to stay in the ACC. Even if that is the wish, you don't come out and say those things because it can either limit your options or, even worse, might lead the B1G to believe you have no interest.

WHEN (not if) the B1G goes to 16, they will likely add 2 more schools at the same time. My gut tells me it will be UNC & UVA although I sincerely hope it's us.

This WILL prompt the SEC to add 2 more schools...my bet is FSU & either NC State or Virginia Tech.

If those 4 leave, the ACC is dead and we (GT) will be sitting in a dead and dying conference in a very screwed position.

And yes, I'm firmly convinced that the PAC-xx, the SEC, the Big 12 and the B1G are all intending to get to 16 teams. Perhaps the good news is that the PAC-xx might need teams. It'll be funny to hear you guys who were 100% sure that the ACC is just fine backpedalling and trying to explain how the PAC-16 conference is a perfect fit for us. :wink:

The other thing I'm firmly convinced of is that one or more of you will respond to my post that "the ACC is NOT going to die". To that I respond that you're full of crap. No way you can know that. I'm pretty sure the president of the best öööö buggy whip manufacturer stood in front of his factory one day and told his employees not to worry because "there is nothing to worry about...we do what we do and we do it better than anyone else"...or WTTE. But when the world changed, it really didn't make a öööö bit of difference how good his buggy whips were.

For the most part, I agree. But there are some holes. PAC eats into the Big XII. FSU makes zero sense for the SEC, they already have the Florida market. Longer term contracts such as ND's with NBC, the ACC buyout, and the Big XII media rights are what's slowing everything down.

The future existence of the ACC does all come down to how the Maryland exit finishes in court. It would seem Maryland has nothing to worry about. About 30 schools changed conferences in the past few years and they have a 30-0 record against the conferences they left. The precedent doesn't fare well for the ACC.
The lawsuit just prolongs the last days of the conference. It doesn't change the eventual outcome. We just need to be positioned to get the best deal before the heavy lumber falls.

The future existence of the ACC does all come down to how the Maryland exit finishes in court. It would seem Maryland has nothing to worry about. About 30 schools changed conferences in the past few years and they have a 30-0 record against the conferences they left. The precedent doesn't fare well for the ACC.
The lawsuit just prolongs the last days of the conference. It doesn't change the eventual outcome. We just need to be positioned to get the best deal before the heavy lumber falls.

None of those were adjudicated in court. The precedent has not been set. What the PAC does is just as important and the MD decision factors into that.

rly? while many schools have successfully negotiated an exit fee, none have gone without paying. if MD even has to pay half of the $50m then it will still be $25 million

most of these are out of court settlements and not judicial rulings

i would say your conclusion of "30-0" is way over the top

Pitt and the conference announced Wednesday that the school will pay $7.5 million to join Syracuse in leaving the Big East for the Atlantic Coast Conference on July 1, 2013. The Big East reached a similar deal with Syracuse earlier this week.

Nebraska left the Big 12 for the Big Ten last year, the Cornhuskers paid just over $9 million. Colorado paid about $7 million.

The Big 12 reached buyout agreements with both Missouri and Texas A&M Tuesday, and both schools should be pretty happy with how things ended. The two schools will be leaving the Big 12 for the SEC at a price of just $12.41 million each

oh no. these asshats finally found this board.
:furious:

ACC is not in danger. Noone is leaving. Go sow your öööö elsewhere.

Everyone b*tches about the ACC being a basketball conference during football season. Losing Maryland gets rid of a school with an avid Basketball fan base and a don't give a $hit attitude for football. We are losing some of the DC market, but that is still held by UVA and VPI especially for football. Think of MD as Georgetown with 40K students that care as much about football as the kids in the GT library on gameday. They doomed themselves in football and are putting themselves out of relevance in basketball, good riddance. While the ACC is cleaning house and bringing in the likes of ND, Pitt and Syracuse, can we get rid of Wake Forest too? Wake and Vandy can form their own conference called the Old Man mascot league. The ACC is doing nothing but good things. If FSU, or Duke left (teams people watch whether good or not for football and basketball respectively in the ACC) then I'd be worried

What's working against us is our president's foolish public pronouncement a few weeks ago about our desire to stay in the ACC. Even if that is the wish, you don't come out and say those things because it can either limit your options or, even worse, might lead the B1G to believe you have no interest.

WHEN (not if) the B1G goes to 16, they will likely add 2 more schools at the same time. My gut tells me it will be UNC & UVA although I sincerely hope it's us.

This WILL prompt the SEC to add 2 more schools...my bet is FSU & either NC State or Virginia Tech.

If those 4 leave, the ACC is dead and we (GT) will be sitting in a dead and dying conference in a very screwed position.

And yes, I'm firmly convinced that the PAC-xx, the SEC, the Big 12 and the B1G are all intending to get to 16 teams. Perhaps the good news is that the PAC-xx might need teams. It'll be funny to hear you guys who were 100% sure that the ACC is just fine backpedalling and trying to explain how the PAC-16 conference is a perfect fit for us. :wink:

The other thing I'm firmly convinced of is that one or more of you will respond to my post that "the ACC is NOT going to die". To that I respond that you're full of crap. No way you can know that. I'm pretty sure the president of the best öööö buggy whip manufacturer stood in front of his factory one day and told his employees not to worry because "there is nothing to worry about...we do what we do and we do it better than anyone else"...or WTTE. But when the world changed, it really didn't make a öööö bit of difference how good his buggy whips were.

The Big10 has been having discussion with us for years, it would seem. One comment to the press, which shuts up any discussion of the Big 10 for the time being, does not change those discussions. In fact, if they are interested in us they were most likely very happy to here the comment. They're looking to minimize chatter, not shout it from the rooftops.

Back